2020 Thanksgiving Menu

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading to Houston for Turkey Day. I/we take red, red wine and bubbly; they do the rest. Usually have a turkey and ham plus all the trimmings. I have no idea about this year. Don't really care; just looking forward to an out-of-town trip!!! FTRPLT

Several years ago, I made vegetarian dolmades for our dish. Mediterranean food is a favorite of mine, and that's what I wanted. Everyone looked at the serving dish of them stacked high like a Martian head was on the table. I wasn't trying to be different or to shake things up. I didn't take a single one home, though. They ate the whole lot. Make what you want. There are a lot of people on special diets, by choice or otherwise. If they're sticking to it, they aren't eating the norm. I'd like to know the food history on tradition. I'm sure there have been traditional meals since the first ceremony thousands of years ago, but how much was that out of necessity, ceremonial rules, or what? The older I get, the more I question the functionality and reasonableness of traditions. "We've always done it that way." doesn't really resonate with me much.

My dad does the deep fried turkey route. Has been doing them like that for years and it's a huge hit. We have a good sized crowd - so he usually does two. One with a more traditional herb/butter and one with a cajun seasoning (injected too) which is to die for. Big assortment of usual dishes. Dad and I have been eating healthy and working out a lot, so this year we will have some more vegetable dishes and healthier variants of things for the meal. I'm looking forward to the roasted brussel sprouts, the turkey, mom's homemade cranberry sauce, and some oyster dressing.

Are you anti drumstick people? What kind of pasta?
Usually everyone eats turkey sparingly; maybe one slice and eats the side heartily. I don't think there's one of us who could eat an entire drumstick and still have room to eat anything else. When there's someone who really prefers the dark meat, I de-bone the thighs leaving the skin intact. I place the thighs flesh to flesh with skin on top and bottom, then sew rhe sides together into a small roast. The pasta is likely to be farfalle, because it's what I have on hand. I expect the braised beef to be the "star" of the meal.

Several years ago, I made vegetarian dolmades for our dish.
Now, I'll be looking for grape leaves. LOL. I know my younger daughter would love dolmas made with Impossible burger, brown rice, grated carrot, feta, garlic, turmeric, and fresh mint.