$400 Safety Razor, Anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that price you would think it would at least look nice. Wow. What do i know I'm just a philistine.

Jim

Look into Wolfman prices, particularly on the secondary market (ebay etc). $1000 isn't out of the question. Hobbyists and collectors, just like with pipes or anything else where gear and men meet. $200-400 is common. Pils, Tradere, Timeless, Above the Tie, Charcoal, and Feather come to mind. There's a cottage industry of guys with access to CNC machines and eyes for design. And then there is another market just for the handles. UFO, Jurgen Hempel, Stork, and Triad are some of the more pricey. You can drop $125 right quick on the handle alone (solid titanium, which I understand to not be the easiest to deal with). Or $500 for a vintage Gillette Toggle.

DE wet shaving is a big deal. Lots of money being spent in the hobby. You can spend $75 or more on a shaving soap if you'd like. Or $300+ on a shaving brush. To be honest, if you wanted to cash in right now, I think soaps is where you'd go.

It's all about perspective. You can look at a razor like any tool, or you can look at it like a precision instrument and a piece of design. Value and worth are in the eye of the beholder. I sold to plenty of pipe smokers who thought a $15 pipe was like talking about a Rolls-Royce.

My three vintage and well honed straights don't even equate to that price. But if one can afford it and wants one, I say go for it.

Just not for me.

I'll stick with my Gillette 109 I bought over 30 years ago, thank you!! :twisted: :twisted: