5100RC is no more !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Was going to order another pound of one of my fave Red Va's, McC's 5100 Red Cake and found out from Smoking Pipes that it is no more !! Seems this years crop of Carolina Red Va's was not up to their standards so it will not be blended. No word when it will be back !! I like it both fresh and cellar'd so wil have to break out one of my cellar'd pounds for this next year !! Sad day in Dodge ! :twisted: :twisted:

Really?!

5100 is one of my go-to blends and it would be a shame to be without it. At the same time, if the folks at McC didn't deem this years crop up to specs then kudos for them. Better to market a consistent product than accept anything sub-standard.

Hopefully other e-tailers have some of the 5100 still available until next year. Not great for those that don't have a cellar of this. And then there's still McCrainie's Red Ribbon, which is basically the same thing.

Hope you can get by until then Michael.

Cheers,

RR

I didn't buy that much of the good stuff, there should have been plenty.....

Bummer. I am down to my last few ounces of 5100. Snagged a little more just now to tie me over.

This is actually a very interesting development, especially considering the fact that Red Cake is used as a base in some of their other mixtures. At least that's what I have heard from a couple different sources. I am sure there's a back stock of it for their blending purposes but perhaps not enough to be sold as a bulk product....

DrumsAndBeer":qpxj4gzz said:
This is actually a very interesting development, especially considering the fact that Red Cake is used as a base in some of their other mixtures. At least that's what I have heard from a couple different sources. I am sure there's a back stock of it for their blending purposes but perhaps not enough to be sold as a bulk product....
SP told me as they finish off on hand stocks of Red Va that are used in other blends, these will be dropped as well! Stock up now as the next crop won't be picked til spring of next year !! Hopefully it will meet SP's requirements!!  :twisted:  :twisted:

McCranies' First Light bulk is in fact 5100RC and they've still got stock. They sell it as their own blend but read the review and see for yourself!!

SpeedyPete":pjjc9jqt said:
McCranies'   First Light bulk is in fact 5100RC and they've still got stock.  They sell it as their own blend but read the review and see for yourself!!
Ill check with them next week. Thanks :twisted:

But, but, but......

They buy years in advance. Years. And sweat it, do their thing, etc.....

Even if this year's crop is shyte, that shouldn't effect stockpiles until sometime down the road. I carry/hold leaf for over a year minimum before I play with it, and I'm no big outfit with great connections like McClellands. My source said a minimum of a month, maybe two before the next batch is expected. I get that they are picky buyers, their quality shows they care. It'll be fine, just be a minute....... :D

Ozark Wizard":6bcrr2kl said:
But, but, but......

They buy years in advance. Years. And sweat it, do their thing, etc.....

Even if this year's crop is shyte, that shouldn't effect stockpiles until sometime down the road. I carry/hold leaf for over a year minimum before I play with it, and I'm no big outfit with great connections like McClellands. My source said a minimum of a month, maybe two before the next batch is expected. I get that they are picky buyers, their quality shows they care. It'll be fine, just be a minute....... :D

Well...remember the source here. :lol:

SpeedyPete":gnsq88pv said:
McCranies'   First Light bulk is in fact 5100RC and they've still got stock.  They sell it as their own blend but read the review and see for yourself!!
I'll bet most shop's "house" VA is 5100.

It's NBD and I don't have a dog in the fight but I gotta wonder if this rumored shortage is away to draw back some of the money that has gone to post predicate date and the soon to (??) "disappear" Dunhill mixtures? The artisan pipe tobacco market is small and the money is limited. What was said about McClelland having stocks from years of VA crops to blend the unique flavors for consistency is what I've always heard from the horses mouth. :shock:

Thank you for getting a hold of us. Unfortunately we do not know when the McClelland: 5100 Red Cake will be available. McClelland is having trouble sourcing one of the key components for this blend and instead of using a component that is not up to standard and producing a product that is not of the same quality it has been pulled from production. I am sorry to give you this unfortunate news.

Regards,

Nick Shane
Customer Service
Smokingpipes.com
1-888-366-0345

Apparently this is a somewhat familiar strategy in the tobacconist’s trade. I remember a time or two when Carol Buurns couldn’t get a particular leaf and just put the recipe aside until all ingredients were available. As you may know, she’s now limited her business to estate pipes and paraphernalia.