A bit of help, please...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
As I was removing the stem from my Italian Molina to clean it, one of the rings that was on the shank of the pipe came off! Could one you you highly knowledgeable pipe doctors please tell me what the best way is to reattach it? I would really greatly appreciate it!! ;)

Here's a picture of what the shank looks like with the ring intact:

And, here it is with the ring displaced:

I have used a jeweler's loupe to look the ring and stem over very good. There appears to be no damage or cracks in either. It is as if the ring is just a fraction too big for a tight fit on the shank.

Again, any advise as to how to reattach the ring would be greatly appreciated!!!

Robert

Use a good 2 part, 5 minute Epoxy.

Wax the shank with carnauba. Put the epoxy mix all around the sides of the "tenon" at the end of the shank, trying to avoid the top (end of the shank), push the ring on, and wait for it to set. You can use a paper towel dampened with denatured alcohol to clean up any epoxy squeeze out at the end of the shank. Don't worry about the squeeze out on the sides of the shank. Just let the epoxy cure.

The squeeze out on the sides will peel off easily after the epoxy is about the consistency of dry rubber cement. Or that of an extra sticky booger. :lol:

Once it's set enough to peel it off, peel it off, and you're done.

Rad

Brother Rad, I thank you ever so kindly!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I will watch carefully for the booger... and, peel it off!!! :lol!: :lol!:

Seriously, thank you very much!! :cheers: :cheers:

Robert

Thanks for your input too, Natch! I will follow his advice!! ;)

Robert

I should mention that it's easy to test the epoxy's readiness to peel by keeping the unused portion and test it after about 5 minutes.

When it will peel off of whatever you've mixed it on (I use a piece of scrap wood and test it with a dull pointed metal spatula thingy), it'll peel off the pipe.

Rad

Thank you again for your input, Rad! I know what you are talking about. For a very short time, I dabbled with a couple of radio controlled airplanes. And, I used the two-part 5 minute epoxy for assembly and repairs. While assembling planes, there were a couple of times when I got the 5 minute epoxy where I didn't want it. And, I quickly learned that you could easily peel it off while it was in the "booger" stage that you mentioned above. It didn't work so well on the unpainted styrofoam parts. But, it did on the painted parts... would just remove a tad bit of paint with it.

But, I do have another question for you. I'm 50 years old. And, I cannot remember ever using denatured alcohol for anything except fuel for a camp stove... long, long time ago. I've found it without any problem. But, after reading a bit about it, I was wondering... if any denatured alcohol is allowed to get on the finish of a pipe, will it harm the finish?

Again, thank you for your input!!

Robert

Denatured alcohol will definitely harm the finish on the wood.

Just make sure you squeeze out the paper towel really well, so it's only damp with it and wrap it around your finger and wipe the shank end while the epoxy's still really liquid.

If the eopxy is really a large bead at the shank end, it'll peel off just like on the sides, but usually my fingers smear it when I'm twisting on a ring like that, and then you have to use something to scrape it off if it cures. It's easier to wipe it off with the damp towel while it's still wet.

Rad.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts, Rad!! I will try to be as neat and careful as possible with the epoxy. But, if I have to use some denatured alcohol for cleanup, I will utilize even greater caution!!

Robert

Rad Davis":k9yf9d8j said:
Use a good 2 part, 5 minute Epoxy.

Wax the shank with carnauba. Put the epoxy mix all around the sides of the "tenon" at the end of the shank, trying to avoid the top (end of the shank), push the ring on, and wait for it to set. You can use a paper towel dampened with denatured alcohol to clean up any epoxy squeeze out at the end of the shank. Don't worry about the squeeze out on the sides of the shank. Just let the epoxy cure.

The squeeze out on the sides will peel off easily after the epoxy is about the consistency of dry rubber cement. Or that of an extra sticky booger. :lol:

Once it's set enough to peel it off, peel it off, and you're done.

Rad
The Great Master has spoken, I second that!!