A curious Mason Jar Phenomenon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
I was rearranging stuff in my den today, and moved my tobacco cellar of Mason jars to some different drawers. I discovered that some of the lids on the jars have become a bit loose, and I needed to tighten them up (not much, just a 16th of a turn or so). This is despite the fact that I have what my wife calls "vise grip" hands, and always tighten Mason jars with tobacco as tight as I can without stripping the threads. So, something seems to happen over time with the lids such that they loosen a bit. The seal probably remains intact, but in the future probably best to check the jars every few months. Anyone else notice this?????

Same thing happens to me. They loosen...but then I just tighten them a second time...and then it sticks, so to speak...and then the lids dip inwards over time and they are good to go.

I haven't noticed that on my jars but I will take closer notice when I open the next one. The humorous phenomenon that always gets me is the occasional "ping" of the lids as they respond to the changing temps of the room, I presume.

Could it be possible that you screwed them to tight, causing the rubber to be damaged?

z-fog: Good questions, but I have never noticed any seal damage when I pop a jar.

That happens when canning as the contents cool and there is a vacuum (pressure difference). The seal may be responding to atmospheric pressure changes or the tobc is oxidizing slightly ,consuming some of the oxygen and creating the vacuum. I think now it is the latter.

Still it is no problem and the rings do not need to be tightened.

loneredtree":ut2b0sm2 said:
That happens when canning as the contents cool and there is a vacuum (pressure difference). The seal may be responding to atmospheric pressure changes or the tobc is oxidizing slightly ,consuming some of the oxygen and creating the vacuum. I think now it is the latter.

Still it is no problem and the rings do not need to be tightened.
+1

sorry to revive an old topic

MisterE":haszmao5 said:
I think it's that the rubber seal on the lid has compressed a little over time, thus becoming a little thinner.
Sounds logical to me. Same happens to me, about a month or three after sealing them, I can tighten them a bit more. But generally not after that.

Natch

skaukatt":odrovwqg said:
I haven't noticed that on my jars but I will take closer notice when I open the next one. The humorous phenomenon that always gets me is the occasional "ping" of the lids as they respond to the changing temps of the room, I presume.
Lou,
Same here, LOL. My cellar sounds like a music box when the temps start to vary and the tops start singing to me :lol!:

Best not to tighten those Mason jars too much. They make the best seal when the rim is screwed on just tight enough to hold the rubber gasket against the glass rim of the bottle. If you tighten too much, you run the risk of distorting the lid and spoiling the seal (and. eventually, the tobacco).

BTW, the Mason jar just celebrated its 100th birthday (per the LA Times).

Rob Denholtz

Like normal, I've never noticed it either, loose lids or tinking noises from temp change.
Maybe because I keep mine in the bottom dresser draw and there only half pints.
That and my house stays the same temp through out the day because of air conditioning.
Temp change could certainly play a part in lids loosening also I expect.

Rick Newcombe in his latest book "Still Searching for Pipe Dreams," he advocates keeping your tins and mason jars inside an insulated cooler, even when kept inside a temperature regulated environment. He says that the more consistent the conditions, the better the finished product after aging.

I suppose the relative humidity levels as well as temperature changes play a part in the "tins popping phenomenon," as well. I would imagine that the temperature as well as humidity would stay more consistent year round inside an insulated cooler. However, I priced some large ones recently at walmart, which went for around $40 a pop. I could probably fit my 23 lb. cellar inside one of these coolers, however the prospect could get expensive for some guys who have much larger cellar's than I.