A good steak or...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
My daughter invited my wife to go out to an NBA game this Sunday. Good for her. They’re sure to have fun.

So since I’ll be doing dinner alone I splurged on a nice steak at the grocery store...a big USDA Choice bone-in Rib Eye.

The damage. FIFTEEN BUCKS! Wowzers.

I coulda bought a tin of fine tobacco and had it shipped for the same cost.

One night of cardiac disaster or two weeks of fine smoking pleasure. You be the judge.

Thanks guys. But no to the giant baker. I go with small red potatoes...salt-n-pepper...butter and rosemary. And...a loaf of grand Central Ciabatta...the best bread on the planet. Veggies? HELL NO!

I’m on the same wavelength but I would add some blue cheese crumbles or chimichuri sauce to the steak especially a ribeye.

I some times flambé a filet to make a pepper cream sauce as well. This recipe can be something of an adventure with the flames and what not...

Yeah...both.

I’m really looking forward to the rib eye though.

Marinate for a while in Yamasa Soy Sauce...sear in a hot pan with olive oil one minute per side to seal in the juices/flavor...finish in a 350F oven for 5 - 8 minutes...rest it for 8 - 10 minutes...EAT!

Then dive into the deckle.  The best part of the cow.

(Before you freak out over the soy sauce...try it.  For both beef and chicken it’s the BEST pre-cooking treatment.)

Try the Soy Sauce and a tablespoon of good Scotch Whisky to marinate, you'll thank me later. :bounce:

allyby":51j1nell said:
Try the Soy Sauce and a tablespoon of good Scotch Whisky to marinate, you'll thank me later. :bounce:
I like Whisky.  It’s “my drink”. Not beer, neither Cabernet nor  Gewürztraminer, not Vodka...Whiskey. That’s the ticket alright.

But, only a tablespoon?  And...is it the alcohol or the Whiskey flavor? Just curious.

I don’t have any Scotch...but I do have some pretty good Kentucky Bourbon.  So...sweet as opposed to Smokey?  It just might work.

I can choose between Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey 101.  The Beam Black is light and crisp while the Wild Turkey is more traditional and full flavored.  I’m leaning toward the Wild Turkey.

Blackhorse":ym6e4htc said:
allyby":ym6e4htc said:
I like Whisky.  It’s “my drink”. Not beer, neither Cabernet nor  Gewürztraminer, not Vodka...Whiskey. That’s the ticket alright.

But, only a tablespoon?  And...is it the alcohol or the Whiskey flavor?  Just curious.

I don’t have any Scotch...but I do have some pretty good Kentucky Bourbon.  So...sweet as opposed to Smokey?  It just might work.

I can choose between Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey 101.  The Beam Black is light and crisp while the Wild Turkey is more traditional and full flavored.  I’m leaning toward the Wild Turkey.
After drinking either JBB or WT101, I'd be leaning also! :drunken: :lol:

Mr. C write: “After drinking either JBB or WT101, I'd be leaning also!”

Yeah, that’d be me.  I drink so little I can REALLY feel the effect of just one shot.  It takes me nearly a year to finish off one bottle.

If we go out and have a drink (a twice a year event);my wife will have a Lemon Drop Martini or a Long Island Iced Tea (Summer) and I’ll do a Whiskey neat or a Manhattan if I’m feeling “festive”. One.  Unless it’s an open bar and then I’ll have another.  Then, since my judgement has been fairly well impaired...I’ll have another. Etc. But I never drive.

OK - steak has begun its 8 hour marinade.

Official Jack Daniels Recipe:

1/4 c soy sauce (Yamasa)
1/4 c whiskey (used Wild Turkey 101)
1/4 c packed brown sugar (used medium dark)
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Dash Worcestershire Sauce

Whisk all together. Place steak in glass dish that just fits it. Pour marinade over meat and turn several times to coat well. Marinate 4 hours to overnight. Turning meat occasionally.

Sear meat in HOT pan 1 min per side in olive oil. Do not handle, move, poke or disturbe meat while searing or cooking. Sear edges as well to seal in juices and flavor.

Transfer pan to oven preheated to 350 F or use preheated baking sheet. Roast about 5 min. or to preferred doneness - knowing it will continue to cook while resting. Rest 8 - 10 min. Serve.

Oh baby!

Blackhorse":wyp4vp1r said:
allyby":wyp4vp1r said:

But, only a tablespoon?  And...is it the alcohol or the Whiskey flavor?  Just curious.

Alcohol will burn off during cooking, nice piece of beef you have there, the Bourbon should work just fine to give you a great flavour!