A guessing game

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(mumble, mumble) Hand pressed (grumble, grumble) thousand dollar (mutter).....................

smirk

Psmith":n4hogw1z said:
Im still trying to figure out what exactly "hand pressed" means.
Isn't plug tobacco pressed under 100s of pounds of pressure for long periods of time.
Mr. Larsen must be one strong dude to be able to do that...and get them so square no doubt.
I think it's probably a HAND cranked press which they probably come by ever often and crank a little more pressure at a time on instead of a automated hydraulic press.

Cartaphilus":lplt11w6 said:
Psmith":lplt11w6 said:
Im still trying to figure out what exactly "hand pressed" means.
Isn't plug tobacco pressed under 100s of pounds of pressure for long periods of time.
Mr. Larsen must be one strong dude to be able to do that...and get them so square no doubt.
I think it's probably a HAND cranked press which they probably come by ever often and crank a little more pressure at a time on instead of a automated hydraulic press.
That's how I do it. Keep coming back and taking the ratchet driver to the nuts on the plates. I don't think I have the guts to ask a grand for 100gm. I would feel too guilty...

Nice gift! That said my experience with Larson tobacco has been less than stellar. They are all what I call flamethrower blends. Sure they taste pretty good but you better have an asbestos mouth. Seriously though you will want to mitigate the burn as much as possible. I only smoke Larson stuff in a churchwarden and I mix it down 50/50 with blending burley before it ever touches a pipe. A water pipe or hookah might do wonders for Larson stuff too but I've never tried it.

Anyway I sure hope you enjoy it.
Jim

Anyone else wince when the man pours all that goop over the tobacco in the video posted above? I have to agree that the premium aromatics from Europe are hard to smoke without scorching the hide off your tongue. I've actually had cracks or something on my tongue that bled a little in my early years of pipe smoking when I didn't know any better. True, they smell good enough to eat. Well, not eat, but chew. But I've tried that too, and they taste like crap.