A guessing game

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
A friend just returned from a trip to Malaysia.  
"Hey...picked you up some pipe tobacco in the duty free" he says.  
I asked him what he picked up.
"I dont remember the brand but its a white square tin.  Not Davidoff...those were round."

So...Im wondering in my mind what he bought.
Any guesses?

I will see him tomorrow night so the mystery will be solved then.

In the mean time a little guessing game for us pipers.

Clues:
-square or rectangular tin
-white labeling or colour
-bought from duty free in Kuala Lumpur
-duty free had walk in humidor

What do you think it is?

Sounds like it will be a Germain. Once you receive it please post what tobacco you will be enjoying. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

4th G....the thought also crossed my mind.  But then I thought he would probably have mentioned a number being on it....maybe though.

Germain? Oooh....that would be new territory for me :D

Will post a pic Coyote....or at least attempt to.

Rattray's Wallace Flake and Stirling Flake come in square white tins.

Squadron Leader, perhaps--but then you would think he'd mention da widdle aeropwane.

Fribourg & Treyer - about 6 of their blends come in square tins with white labels.

Thought that too Drums and Beer...Cut Virginia Plug yum!

Richard how did you know my friend is Elmer Fudd?

I'm quite intrigued because usually duty free in Asia carries only Davidoff.

Correct about duty free in Asia carrying Davidoff and some of their older blends did come in a square tin with a white label, I still have some from when I traveled for business. But I've also found at Asian duty free shops Germain like I mentioned and even Rattray's like another brother mentioned. I'm sure which ever one you end up getting will be a great smoke, also because it's a gift. Somehow a gift tobacco always tastes better....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I will Coyote.

Not my usual taste but like you said gifted tobacco always tastes better.  I agree.

I think I will save it for Spring.  Seems a good tobacco for that season.

Cheers all!

Psmith":0iclspik said:
I'm quite intrigued because usually duty free in Asia carries only Davidoff.
Well Davidoff did buy Larsen from the family years ago.:shock:

Wow, I know I'm 65 but thought my eyesight was still good??? Looks like a very light powder blue to me. Well, I'm NOT going to an eye doctor for sure!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

OW...very aromatic. I opened the bag and had a bowl last night before bed. Tin note....strong boozy smell and that unmistakable note that comes from black Cavendish. It immediately reminded me of my one and only foray into Peterson aromatics...Sunset Breeze.

At this point I won't say it was good or bad. It was just different for my palette. For the last few months I have only been smoking a rotation of Durbar, Blue Mountain and a Semois blend. This new one was immediately sweet, fruity and lacking in body in comparison to those. Therefore I will put it away till Spring when those kind of qualities can be more appeciated.

I will say that if its not sipped slowly the sweet fruity flavor turns into tongue-on-fire furnace so it requires some focused puffing.

Richard is right...neither white nor square it was. Silver and oval would be more accurate.

I'm rather disappointed he didnt get me the 1000 dollar hand pressed WO Larsen offering. Guess Im not that special :roll:

$1000 Hand pressed!? :affraid:
I don't know anybody that special Mr.Smith.

Im still trying to figure out what exactly "hand pressed" means.
Isn't plug tobacco pressed under 100s of pounds of pressure for long periods of time.
Mr. Larsen must be one strong dude to be able to do that...and get them so square no doubt.