A hankerin' for some 1792

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FibberMcGee

Reaction score
A few years ago I tried 1792 for the first time and really liked it. It was so completely different than anything I had ever tried. I bought an entire 1000 gram box of the dreaded stuff and soon got sick of seeing and smelling it (how can that smell possibly travel through the glass and steel of a mason jar so easily?) I gave it all away to my fellow pipers. Now I feel a craving for some, I gotta' have it... I just ordered a tin. ....I'm so weak.

Yeah I'm sweating and shaking just reading about that stuff.
Pass the Navy Flake.

I bought a tin about a year ago & hated the stuff. Just recently I hauled it out again - it had changed (I deny it was me). Been smoking a bowlful just about every second day. Even ordered half a pound!

If you look at the latest Spring Forward Box Pass thread I think Carlos just mentioned he tried some out that was in the pass and thought that the newer stuff was better than he remembered the old to be. Maybe I should give some a try???

Mikem":jzoq5525 said:
If you look at the latest Spring Forward Box Pass thread I think Carlos just mentioned he tried some out that was in the pass and thought that the newer stuff was better than he remembered the old to be. Maybe I should give some a try???
If I remember correctly it has that super strong scent/flavor and also a sledgehammer nicotine content.

Yes it's thoroughly coated in Tonka been extract, a paralytic former-nerve-tonic-ingredient, and has a Nic Kick somewhere up around Irish Flake.

Did I mention Navy Flake already?

1792 is one of those tobaccos which didn't work for me the first few tries either. It took me talking to those who enjoyed the mixture and a little coaching to 'get it'. Now I wouldn't be without it and hardly a day goes by where I won't have at least one bowl of this lovely weedage. I now purchase it two pound at a time!

Sipped very slowly this isn't really very strong, but when puffed too quickly it can get very bitter. Oddly for myself and others it seems to work better in a larger bowl, where it kind of stoves itself and mellows while enjoyed SLOWLY!

kilted1":sxxy0jow said:
Oddly for myself and others it seems to work better in a larger bowl, where it kind of stoves itself and mellows while enjoyed SLOWLY!
I too find it works a little better in wide bowls rather than deep narrow ones. But I love the stuff, and its little brother, Bracken Flake. It can be somewhat damp, so drying it sufficiently is required - I think that can help alleviate any bitterness.

Mikem":04mqm84s said:
I got my package with the 1792 on Saturday and when I opened it, it seems a bit different than I remember. It seems that while there is still the very apparent presence of tonquin, it seems less pronounced. Don't get me wrong it was a slap in the face of tonquin rather than the punch in the gut I remember. Also the nic level doesn't seem to be as pronounced as I remember, although I could be somewhat inured to the nicotine as I smoke 8-10 bowls a day of Haddo's which is a pretty heavy nic hitter itself.

Funny you should start this post, as I was just thinking about starting one on 1792. Like many of you I also tried it a few times in the past and didn't care for it. Also tried the plug version (Cob?) and it was worse. But over the past few months I've ordered a pound or half klg. of every SG & GH&C flakes and have really enjoyed the 1792.

Perhaps because I'm smoking a number of scented flakes these days, but I found the "scent" on 1792 to be quite light, compared to say Bosun Cut or Coniston Plug, or Rum Flake. Still a nic-kick, but I thought it a rather light, almost bland smoke? Guess my taste buds are burned out.

Natch

Perhaps because this is what I smoke every day, I no longer notice the nicotine since I stopped over-drawing. I'll have to try that big bowl idea. I don't necessarily fill the bowl all the way anymore since in my inexperienced state, I seem to be better able to burn it all the way down if I don't.

I appreciate it's nicotine effect in the reverse because some other things are unsuitable because I notice their lack of it. I do sip it. It doesn't bite me, and it's reliably satisfying. I may not know what else I'll smoke on a given day, but I know at some point in a given day at least one bowl will be smoked. It's convenient. I like twists but a lot of times I don't feel like going through the process of prepping necessary for those.

I buy at least two pounds at a time, and when I'm into the second it's time to order again. I cannot imagine being without it. The tonquin has a natural flavor to me, and seems to compliment my idea of tobacco taste. If I had to choose one tobacco to take to the deserted island, this would be the one.

It seemed anti-social with other tobaccos since it seems so different, but I threw together pound ends of St. James and 1792 not expecting any good result but just to clean things up, but they didn't fight and were actually getting along rather well. I plan to do it again with more precision since the St. James is dwarfed in it's shadow for me.

Great thread on 1792, I've been reading reviews on it & plan to include some in my next tobacco order

I bought a lb of 1792 but missed the high-voltage nicotine. I've had enough experience with Gawith blends to know that their recipes aren't consistent. For those of you wondering why what you bought isn't like the batch you last smoked, wonder no more. I doubt I'll buy more of their blends because of this. . .well maybe not Best Brown Flake, but I've got ~2 lbs in the cellar, so it won't be anytime soon.

I think this is good stuff. Lot's of taste, smokes all the way down and it never bites. I just ordered another pound of it. I like it in a Peterson System pipe.