A pipe rack for large pipes !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LIPIPE":ky5vw3rz said:
Good morning John and men: We're up with the roosters today. I'm smoking a large "nosewarmer" oom paul just oozing with delicious Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. I've contacted a rack builder who is based in Pennsylvania who is interested in working with me to design/build a rack to my specs. I'll keep all you guys informed. If it works out well, perhaps we can all get on board.

Good morning to you, Marty. I'm just about to light up the Rinaldo I posted a minute ago with some Dunhill Black Cavendish. That's great about finding someone to do the prototype of the rack. Keep us informed. I like the keyhole type as well !

I'd been wondering about those keyhole racks as well; they appeared on smokingpipes a year or so ago and then disappeared (as the stock diminished, I wager) and I've actually seen a couple on YouTube videos and they seemed to work well. They weren't modular but apparently came in a lot of sizes. Like Marty said, pipe profiles have shifted significantly so that we smoke fewer bowls but have larger pipes and bigger collections then our sainted forefathers. Probably bigger bellies as well, but I digress.

But if a woodworker would do a prototype and post it, it seems like there might be a market, and of course they could do it to order.

There is also Tony's Pipe Racks, who does a rack for larger bowls:

http://www.tonyspiperacks.com/

The trouble is, of course, that you buy a new rack it compels you to buy more pipes.

Tim and John: Below is a link to a pipe rack that I saw on e-bay. It looked well constructed but I knew it would not cut my mustard. I have several oom pauls that look just about like the picture of handsome Tim. So I wrote to the gentleman offering the rack for sale and he responded that he would build a keyhole stand for me. I'll keep you guys informed if this ever materializes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-HAND-CRAFTED-PIPE-RACK-SOLID-OAK-36-PIPES-/190628320558?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5705328328201375523#ht_720wt_1270

Very nice looking, Marty, let's see what he comes up with. That particular Oom Paul is a sitter, but it's a tough shpe to put in a rack as you'd imagine. If i get my camera working I'll show you the Decaturs in action --