A Quality Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
With pipes I'm fine with matches. With cigars, though matches can be used, the amount and density of tobacco make torch lighters a nice convenience.

I'm in the market for a quality torch but keep returning to the sad fact that they don't exist, no matter how much you pay. Am I wrong? If I can't get something reliable that will last unto death can I at least find such that will last 2 or 3 years and work reliably and well? I'm willing to spend as much as $150.

Thanks for your help.

I use a Bic lighter for my pipe because I'm an outdoor smoker but, since I was about 16 years old I have always had a Zippo and never found it to fail unless I didn't keep it in fluid or flint. In fact the Bic lighters have always served me well also.
Wanting a fancier lighter is fine if that's what you want but, I can loose and even drop my Zippo or Bic and not fear I just lost $100 or more. Ronson use to make a pretty good lighter in the 50's & 60's of course I don't know about nowadays.

I've got four Xikar ready to go back.  They are torch and they had only Vector fuel run through them.  Torch lighters are just too precise for duration even with the best of intentions by the owner.  They finally reach the point where no amount of canned air blowing them clean works.

That said,  Xikar are well under your price point and have a lifetime guarantee.  So save a bunch of money and use it in shipping lighters back.  They say repair but every time so far they have sent me a brand new lighter.

If you go with single flame instead of the triple that cigar guys like, it will light pipes without causing rim damage.

The most reliable lighters I've used since I bought my first pipe lighter back in '69 have been fuel lighters. Seems they are less "finicky" in operation. This is my oldest that I bought in Saigon back then, my Dunhill Rollalite fuel lighter which has a pipe insert in it which unfortunately they don't make this lighter anymore. If I was to get one today I'd get a Zippo with a Pipe insert. Not fancy but it'll be reliable for years. Here's my old Dunhill which I still use. :

I bought a Xikar on cbid for $26 bucks and it's been trucking away for three years. Single flame, mind you, and I only use Xikar butane in it. If it ever beaks, I'll just send it back and they'll repair (haha) or send a new one. Some cigar friends of mine have been getting into using soft flame lighters recently. They say it scorches the delicate wrapper less than a torch. I don't know if I believe 'em or not, but the next instance I have the time for a stogie I plan on giving my IM Corona pipe lighter a whirl.

I've owned a few different pipe lighters and cigar torches. Most are not at all worth the money. I do have a single jet Corona torch lighter that has lasted several years, but it doesn't get used much (I smoke less than 1 cigar a month). None of the pipe lighters lasted much longerthan a year. Zippos lose fuel too fast while just sitting there and they do have an off taste to them. I use a Bic, they work perfectly and are cheap.

If I had the coin, it would be nice to have a Dupont pipe lighter. I've handled a few and they are quite nice. A Dunhill like Monbla has would be nice too. But, they wouldn't leave the house. The Bic would still win out as the daily tool.

I use ST Duponts for cigars.

Xikar is crap anymore.

I had a IM Corona double corona that was acceptable as well. Hardly a DuPont though.

I'm not sure what to recommend these days for a good torch. I used to think Colibri was the way to go, but I've had two completely fail me, and for that price it's a big fail.

Oddly enough, I've got a cheap torch that is big and probably used for fancy baking, but it works great, all the time!

PD, that old Dunhill is a solid Sterling Silver lighter and set me back $65.00 back then. It's made it through 'Nam and when ever I've gone out of the house it's banged around in a pants pocket with my change which is why it's got the "character" it has :twisted:  It's just a solid, well made lighter that WORKS :twisted: :twisted: 

Oh man, now I've got to go track down an IMCO! They look cool cool cool.

and as far as Xikar, well they might not be DuPont but I can tell you that the one I've had for, oh, maybe two years is still going strong. The fit and finish are fine - certainly not as nice as my IM Corona, but hey - $25. If it breaks, send it back. Lifetime warranty.

and... a forum search for "lighter" brings me down a road that leads to this. Ya know, I've got enough damn lighters! But now... :twisted: 

I've had several vectors and they went to crap, I currently have a Xikar and its working well as a pipe lighter - I have had a couple other torch lighters for cigars and they all have crapped out. Zippo's on the other hand seem to last a lifetime. My problem is that I keep loosing them.

BriarBrad":2xldx2ml said:
I use ST Duponts for cigars.

Xikar is crap anymore.

I had a IM Corona double corona that was acceptable as well. Hardly a DuPont though.
Agree. I have two ST Dupont lighters for cigars and they are hands down one of the highest quality consumer products I've ever bought. They light the first time, every time, come rain or wind or snow. They've been through the wash a few times. One of them actually lit while wet with lake water. Just an all around amazing product.

Xikar and Colibri have both been ultimate disappointments. Constant failures. I've never had one last me more than a few weeks. I consider them trash. Ditto thunderbird lighters and the zippo inserts. They work alright at first but they leak butane all the time and so you're constantly refilling unless you are zealous enough to adjust the little stop lever (even then they slow leak).

Zippos and wet fuel lighters are reliable and cheap but I can't get past the taste, and yes, I know to let it burn off. I just have a sensitive pallet to that flavor.

My wife got me a IM Corona old boy a while back and it has been going strong for a few months now. Seems well made. Lights easy. Doesn't seem to leak fuel (one tank lasts a LONG time).

I've got a Blazer insert in a Zippo case ... in fact, I have two of them, one of which rides in the car, the other is in my 'cave' ... they have both worked fine for me (knock wood) ...

I've gone through any number of more expensive lighters, including 3 Colibris ... I have NO faith in expensive lighters since they're all going to crap out ... I might consider a Xikar,, since their warranty is something I trust and I've given some thought to a Vector since they make the absolute best butane fuel ... but, given the track record of my Zippo inserts and the fact that I have customized Zippo cases, I would probably get another insert if I had an actual need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to turn a Zippo pipe lighter on its side, at which point the flame billows up; but then to actually get a light, you need to suck the flame down into the bowl? This fries my tongue. I think I've got that lighter, somewhere.

Well, for my 2 cents: I personally find the lighter fluid taste imparted by zippos to be overwhelming. I've often looked at the pipe version, as well as some trench lighters, but this is the one sticking point, I'll likely never get past.

When I was smoking cigars regularly (2-3 a day) I would pick up torch lighters at the checkout at walgreens whenever I had the notion. Knowing they were going to peter out in fairly short order, dropping five bucks here and there to make sure I had one at hand was an easily justifiable expense. Now, despite being somewhat enticed by the "Frank" packing method for pipes, and the ubiquitous use of a torch lighter that accompanies it, I would not bring myself to use a torch on my briars.

So at the Chicago show, I won a Xikar pipeline in the silent auction (I paid nearly full price, but it's worth it to help support the show). At any rate, I would've been thrilled with it and likely still would be but for one small problem: I used a Corona Old Boy while I was there. The Corona is just more solidly built, and has that indescribable feeling of quality that the Xikar just lacks. The Xikar is a little "rattly" and the adjustment screw kind of goes from off to full blast a bit too easily. This said, I still use it daily, and do enjoy it. I will say that for some inexplicable reason, when it is nearly out of fluid, it decides to go out in (quite literally) a blaze of glory. The flame becomes 3 inches long and it sounds like a jet taking off. Not exactly reassuring when you were about to put it face down into one of your beloved pipes. A small but notable flaw that I'm able to see coming on, or avoid entirely by keeping it gassed up.

For the $$$$$ nothing beats IM Corona I have 3 old boys and one magie if they refuse to work or start leaking butane I send them in and for $9.00 plus postage  to Nashville they are repaired within two weeks.  Granted xikar will send you a new lighter that is because the tank on a xikar is plastic and all the tanks on coronas are brass.  Awhile back it seemed that a lot of the brothers  were buying Tsouba lighters, I was thinking on purchasing one but was concerned about the warranty, I still cannot find out where you send then for repair as they will fail one day. I have Zippos and they are another great lighter you cant beat the guarantee it is a great company.  Just my $.02    MIKE

FYI Dunhills are great but to have them repaired will cost $120.00. Duponts will cost $60.00 for repair, and colibri electronic ignition has a high failure rate.

Ronson (now owned by Zippo) makes a nice looking, refillable $5 torch that's fairly reliable. I keep one around for cigars. Some may disagree, but the super high heat of a torch lighter can easily (and quickly) scorch a pipe so I don't use them to light my pipes and advise others against doing so.

I owned a Xikar torch (an Axia) and had to send it back to Xikar twice. The second time, I opted for a Xikar soft flame EXII Carbon Fiber which I've had no problem with, but it's not the most convenient light for a pipe.

Tried the Jetline Lacardo, sent it back twice, got my money back the second time.

For pipes, I use matches a lot. The DJeep is better than the BiC IMO, since it has an adjustable soft flame and a larger fuel tank ($1.29 locally).

I always have some BBQ lighters from the Family Dollar Store -- $2 and they're refillable. Of course they don't last forever, but as long as they do, they're also adjustable flame and work well for pipes.

I use only Vector 5X fuel -- two 11 ounce cans, assorted nozzles in the cap, $13 at CI.