A Quality Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use torch lighters any more and do like using matches for my cigars when I can.

For torches the only one I have that continues to work is my original scuba tank Blazer from when they first came out, it does not get used much any more but whenever I fill it up it lights first time.

Regarding soft-flame butanes I have 2 favorites, my Dupont and a Corona Accord pipe lighter which I like better than the Old Boys. The Dupont stays mostly at home only going out on special occasions. I used to carry a zippo everywhere but the Corona has replaced it, very reliable, good flame and the tank seems to never run out of fuel despite being such a small lighter. And despite being a pipe lighter it seems to light my cigars quite reliably lol.

Zippo--the old reliable, and for pipe smokers, the Zippo Premium fuel in the black can is low odor. Frankly, if I let it burn for 1-2 seconds after lighting, I can't detect any taste imparted by the fuel, but someone with more sensitive taste buds may feel differently. If you haven't yet tried the Zippo fuel in the black can, I'd say its worth a try, and the flame temp is only slightly hotter than matches.
Best of course are the wooden matches (never use a paper match to light a pipe.) they're low temp and once the head burns, impart no taste at all. Ditto for the hemp cord.
Butane burns at 1977°F, more than 1200° hotter than matches, and of course, the butane torch lighters burn at 2600°F and should never be used to light a pipe. Using a butane lighter, whether it's a Bic, Old Boy, or whatever your brand preference may be, may be a good idea, but be careful because of the temperature, so that you don't scorch the rim. Additionally, the real problem with butane is that it burns at such a high temperature that it can destroy the volatile flavors in the portion of the tobacco that it contacts, so that even though butane imparts no flavor of its own, if not used judiciously, it can certainly affect the taste of the pipe.

Either an IM Corona Old Boy or an Imco G77R. I am not sure if the Imco is still available.

monbla256":3luj8shz said:
PD, that old Dunhill is a solid Sterling Silver lighter and set me back $65.00 back then. It's made it through 'Nam and when ever I've gone out of the house it's banged around in a pants pocket with my change which is why it's got the "character" it has :twisted:  It's just a solid, well made lighter that WORKS  :twisted: :twisted: 
That lighter ..new today is worth a CHUNK of money !

Trifecta13":2v3tfm69 said:
This said, I still use it daily, and do enjoy it. I will say that for some inexplicable reason, when it is nearly out of fluid, it decides to go out in (quite literally) a blaze of glory. The flame becomes 3 inches long and it sounds like a jet taking off. Not exactly reassuring when you were about to put it face down into one of your beloved pipes. A small but notable flaw that I'm able to see coming on, or avoid entirely by keeping it gassed up.
I own a NIBO and a JOBAN that do the same thing. The JOBAN is particularly bad about it. I turn the adjuster down and get several more lights from them...sometimes...other times it doesn't work out that way. WHOOSH and the gas is gone. I had a NIBO that turned into a fireball in my hand because the fill valve was messed up and dumped the gas if your hand put sideways pressure on the adjuster wheel.

Bobby Stubbs":pra015k5 said:
monbla256":pra015k5 said:
PD, that old Dunhill is a solid Sterling Silver lighter and set me back $65.00 back then. It's made it through 'Nam and when ever I've gone out of the house it's banged around in a pants pocket with my change which is why it's got the "character" it has :twisted:  It's just a solid, well made lighter that WORKS  :twisted: :twisted: 
That lighter ..new today is worth a CHUNK of money !
Bobby,
Sadly Dunhill doesn't make anymore "fuel" lighters though they still make that style of Sterling lighter in the Rollgas line and last time I checked it was around $375.00 just a BIT MORE than I paid 40+ years ago, but then EVERYTHING costs more these days  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

Wood kitchen matches. I don't cry or feel overcome with guilt when I loose them.

My other lighter is a Dunhill also, a newer Unique model which is the ORIGINAL "Old Boy" as they brought it out in the 1920's as the first "petrol" lighter they made. My daughter bought this one for me three years ago as a birthday gift for my 65th B'Day. It's solid Sterling as is my old Rollalite I still use only this ones a gas lighter. It's my "dress-up" lighter and I only use it when I go out all dressed up.:twisted:  It's been VERY reliable and is one high quality lighter at a HIGH price !! I still use my old Dunhill more often and matches more often than it  :twisted: :twisted: 

DCynic":l3ie3xu8 said:
I'm a bit late to the party, but the pipe lighter I use is the Tsubota Pearl Eddie (either that or wood matches; depends on my mood, and what's on the coffee table in front of me).  I've put mine to hard, frequent use, and it continues to function beautifully.  It also has a tamper and pick built in.
Very nice looking lighters, I may order one of these my birthday is coming up.

For a while I used to use my right hand to operate the Old Boy.
Very awkward to say the least, so I started using my left.

I'm a little bit dense (OK, a lot dense), and at first wondered if I had bought a LH model by mistake.
 ;)

I bought a cheap triple jet at a gas station one day for like 5$. That was like 6 months ago, and it's still working fine. I purge the tank when I fill it, that's about it.