A question for Artisans

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Lets dispense with the obvious...artisans want to make a pipes that are beautiful and people will buy. My question is...do artisan want people to smoke the pipes?
Since I like to go out on a limb...I bet that artisan want to make beautiful pipes that people will smoke.
How about an example... http://roushpipes.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=911
Should this pipe be smoked, put in your pipe rack or saved as an investment?
Bub

All the guys I talk to at pipemaker's forum aim to have their pipes smoked and appreciated as smoking instruments. Pipe Art is one thing, and we all appreciate it, but most pipe maker's have the secret dream of someone phoning them and saying "Wow, your pipe smokes better than my Dunhills and Castellos - I am throwing them all out except yours. You are the master pipe maker supremo dude."

Sure as hell I do, anyhow. :D

As a general rule, pipes don't make very good investments. You can get a much better return on tobacco, if you keep it around for a while. :lol:

I make my pipes to be smoked, but what the customer does with one is up to him/her.

Rad

Sir
my way of thinking is a pipe must be made to smoke or its just a piece of wood with two holes in it. No matter how pretty it is if you cant smoke it it is not a pipe.
Best Regards
Richard

every artisan maker i talk to wants there pipes to be smoked.. one close friend actually gets pretty upset when his pipes aren't smoked.

if that were my roush it would have been filled with tobacco 5 minutes after the post man handed it to me.

I make my pipes to be smoked.
To my way of thinking, if a pipe doesn't smoke well, it's a failure.

Mike Brissett

frankluke":b7l0l2ve said:
if that were my roush it would have been filled with tobacco 5 minutes after the post man handed it to me.
It's that or use it for a doorstop.

Rad Davis":zux6p4q7 said:
As a general rule, pipes don't make very good investments. You can get a much better return on tobacco, if you keep it around for a while. :lol:

I make my pipes to be smoked, but what the customer does with one is up to him/her.

Rad
Rad, my wife made a similar observation about pipe smokers the other day. She, rather rudely I might add, indicated that her investment in me (thus said pipe smoker) had not panned out monetarily as she had hoped, ergo a poor investment. So I can assume then that investing in pipe smokers, in general, is not a very good investment? :mrgreen:

Natch

frankluke":zko3mxdz said:
every artisan maker i talk to wants there pipes to be smoked.. one close friend actually gets pretty upset when his pipes aren't smoked.

Man !
What discipline..............5 whole minutes ??
Kudos, sir :cheers:

While I "get" the fact that some pipes are art and therefore very collectible, that line of thinking dont float my boat.
Ive been at this for almost 30 years and have bought , traded and sold many pipes.
The 20 or so I have in my keep today are the best of the best (My best, that is) and are ALL smokers.

Bub":jsquv75x said:
Lets dispense with the obvious...artisans want to make a pipes that are beautiful and people will buy. My question is...do artisan want people to smoke the pipes?
Since I like to go out on a limb...I bet that artisan want to make beautiful pipes that people will smoke.
How about an example... http://roushpipes.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=911
Should this pipe be smoked, put in your pipe rack or saved as an investment?
Bub
That is a beautiful pipe at a hefty price. However, if I dish out that much money, I will smoke it. If I don't feel I would smoke it due to the price I paid, I wouldn't purchase it.

It's like having a gun and not shooting it. Or having condoms and not... um never mind. :lol!:

The only way I could not smoke a pipe of mine is if I got an elaborate
Yanik Meer and had it on display as the centerpiece of my collection.It
would eventually drive me mad until I smoked it,so......................

Winslow :sunny:

I would take that bad boy in my trembling hands and gently caress it as I filled it with excellent tobacco and fired that mother up! :monkey: