A second pipe but what?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPipe

Reaction score
I remember asking for advice on my first pipe purchase on BoB and was not lead astray. I settled on a Peterson Aran #80 not the most expensive pipe in the world but as a first it has been faultless. Has a nice cake going now and I get a nice smoke from it.

I have recently found a great pipe tobacco supplier and have been sampling Perique blends, Latakia blends. Some of you will shudder in horror no doubt when I say I'm using the same pipe to smoke all my blends in.

So to the point of this post. What to buy as my second pipe? I would prefer a new pipe but estates aren't out of the question. Should I stick with another Peterson maybe a full bent this time or should I go for something completely different?

The Aran is a half bent I think and although not a massive bowl I do get a long smoke from it. Price around the hundred dollar mark.

Any advice appreciated.

Stanwell pipes are solid performers, just like Peterson.

If you are patient, you could win a Moretti for less than $100 off ebay. Another favorite solid performer I love are the older model GBD's. I have 2 that I paid less than $60 each for, and they are outstanding smokers.

As much as I like Peterson pipes, I think you should try something different to broaden your collection. I find Savinelli pipes to be very good in your price range. The same goes for Stanwell.

I have to second a Stanwell.

I would also recommend a few cobs to smoke out of so you can rest your briars.

Actually check out www.vikingclubpipes.com
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19924-some-ebay-auctions-ending-sunday-10-28-2012
For the hundred you are looking to spend you could grab two estates from Mattia, he also gives a discount to BoB members.

Great comments so far, and I agree with all of them.

It's hard to go wrong with a Savinelli. They are right up there with Peterson and Stanwell (which are both great BTW). They are hard to beat and always give a really nice smoke at an affordable price. I wouldn't part with my Sav's even if I had to, they're just flat-out great pipes.

Kaiser hit the nail on the head - invest in a few MM Cobs. They don't ghost easily and are great for sampling different blends. At the price, you can't go wrong. Some of them, like the MM Freehand, are terrific smokers too!

Thank you all for the advice.
Having only the one and having to rest it is frustrating.

Doing a bit of searching and have found pipes that have 9mm or metal filters.
I have seen these before and have been told you can smoke the pipe without the filter.

Does this affect the performance of the pipe?
Should I stick with the non filter pipes?

That is all preference brother. You will never actually know until you have one. Peoples opinions are completely varying and nobody can say definitively that their opinion is best. If you find a pipe that you like the look of and you will smoke then you should try it out. You can smoke a filtered pipe without the filter, or even with an adapter that you can buy from CupO'Joes. There are brothers here who enjoy filtered pipes and those who will avoid them like the plague. Hope that helps.

I really like the Peterson but as I've said it's the only pipe I've smoked.
Yes it was the look of the pipe that sold me so maybe just go with my gut again.

Thank you for the information.
All is appreciated.

I've got close to 140 pipes, out of those 140, around 10 are filter pipes. The filter doesn't serve to catch tar and nicotine as in a cigarette, it's main function is to catch excess moisture that would normally accumulate in the stem. My filter pipes see most of their duty, while I am behind the wheel of my pickup.

Keeps my eyes on the road, and keeps me from having to pull over to run a pipe cleaner into the stem. The only other alternative is to blow the moisture down into the bowl, or tap it out on my pants. Needless to say, my pants smell better when I smoke my filter pipes. 8)

You couldn't go far wrong if your first three pipes were a Pete, a Savinelli and a Stanwell. And you already have the Pete. So . . . $100 gets you a nice piece of briar these days.

If looking for a GBD and don't to break the bank there is a beautiful bulldog for 29 bucks buy it now on ebay

These are all good suggestions, but I'd throw Nording out there, too. There are quite a few good smoking Nording pipes available in your price range, and I've never had a problem with mine.

One of our brothers, Mattia has a beautiful Nording on his website vikingclubpipes.com for $72. I have almost pulled the trigger on it about a half dozen times myself and kind of hate myself for not buying it. But alas, I can't buy them all. :cry:

I'm kind of saving for something special right now.

Anyway, I would think that would be a pipe many would be proud to own.

Simple Man":r9r6buwq said:
One of our brothers, Mattia has a beautiful Nording on his website vikingclubpipes.com for $72. I have almost pulled the trigger on it about a half dozen times myself and kind of hate myself for not buying it.
Tell you what, Jack. Buy it and have it shipped to me. :cheers:

I'll be sure and give you a full report on how it smokes. :twisted:
:lol!:

Rob_In_MO":0aecznl8 said:
Simple Man":0aecznl8 said:
One of our brothers, Mattia has a beautiful Nording on his website vikingclubpipes.com for $72. I have almost pulled the trigger on it about a half dozen times myself and kind of hate myself for not buying it.
Tell you what, Jack. Buy it and have it shipped to me. :cheers:

I'll be sure and give you a full report on how it smokes. :twisted:
:lol!:
:lol: I've been there and looked at it two more times since I wrote that. I REALLY wish someone would buy it... I'm suffering bad PAD for it. :lol!:

You might find that, in the long run, you like a second-hand Buick better than a brand new Pinto/Chevette.

While the four of that sort of pipe here are a minority among a bunch of (selected & winnowed) old blue collar specials, still, in fairness, there is a reason why Italians like Castello & Cavicchi, "name" British makers and the like have the reputations they do.

Further : If you're looking for a good pipe and not keeping up with Marty Pulvers & Briar Blues, you're not doing yourself any favors.

:cat: :face: :study:

Just found the BoB site with pipes for sale some real crackers there.
Today mission is to get that second, maybe even a third pipe, ordered and on it's way as my Pete is getting a bit of a hammering smoking 1 to 2 bowls a day in it and don't want to spoil it.

Some great suggestions made thank you to all.

I like the Stanwell and Savinelli range but would like to get a non filter pipe have seen some Stanwell non filter.

Been frantically eBay searching and online pipe store searching. So many beautiful looking pipes.

Does anyone have eBay search/sellers preferred, any help is gratefully received.

Had an Great Uncle who smoked Meers and plug but think I'll stick with briar for now.

Cobs are on the mission for today list.

Let you all know how I go.

NewPipe":4ui6kdrs said:
Cobs are on the mission for today list.

Cobs are well priced and provide a great smoke in my limited opinion.

Check missouri Meerschaum online
10 Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds

Pipes for you and your friends!

I just got my first cob and I am very very impressed