a small panel?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I'm on the lookout for a small panel (8-sided with a rectangular foundation). Most of them you'll find from days' past are of the large variety. Can anyone recommend a brand that made a panel group 4 or 3 size? Hopefully on the inexpensive side of things. Not looking to find a Dunhill or Ashton for hundreds of dollars, though when I think of the perfect panel, they instantly come to mind. Would love a sandblast finish, but that isn't mandatory.

I can definitely see why the panel is a difficult shape. There's so much geometry there. Lots of symmetry to try to maintain, and because you have all these angles, even the spatially challenged can see all the "mistakes" or differences from one plane to the others. All while trying to maintain a wall thickness, balance it at rest, etc. While the briar is having its own little battle with the maker. Quite a visually demanding shape, though it might not seem that way at a glance or intuitively.

002-015-2273_4.jpg

Look for a Ropp older Algerian or a Genod and maybe even a Chacom pipe. Smokingpipes sells them and the older French makers are adept at making those panel pipes. Not only are they great smokers, the prices are always right IMO. For a hundred bucks or less you can find a really nice briar and most are of a smaller size. Just thoughts.

Check out the Ryan Alden panel at SPs site today. Pure DH EK knockoff done beautifully. Price may not be your cup of tea though. :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":m2gdodmo said:
Check out the Ryan Alden panel at SPs site today. Pure DH EK knockoff done beautifully. Price may not be your cup of tea though. :cheers: FTRPLT
Yeaaaaah it seriously rocks!

That Ryan Alden was the impetus to this thread. Jogged my memory that I would like a small panel. Too busy.

docwatson":3o3779d7 said:
Look for a Ropp older Algerian or a Genod  and maybe even a Chacom pipe. Smokingpipes sells them and the older French makers are adept at making those panel pipes. Not only are they great smokers, the prices are always right IMO. For a hundred bucks or less you can find a really nice briar and most are of a smaller size. Just thoughts.
Hey look, it's a docwatson sighting!!!

Great to have you posting again, and thanks for your sage input! You've been missed!!

:king:

Cheers,

RR