A tragic loss...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean68

Reaction score
Yesterday, I lost my mentor.

Kaiser83 departed for another location (as will I in a few days) and with his departure I have lost my pipe smoking mentor. This loss is tragic! I felt it first last night at shift change, when we would usually greet eachother (we are on opposite shifts) and share a smoke while discussing pipe smoking issues.

Darrell left me with a corn cob pipe, half a tin of Frog Morton (the best stuff in the world!), a tin of Evening Rise, five tins of Erinmore flake and five tins of Erinmore ribboncut (?), and a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, as well as a few accessories to assist in my smoking. He is a true gentleman.

Please forgive me if I now direct my stupid questions and irrelevant opinions at the lot of you. Darrell was your filter. You will soon learn what you had...

The Refined Ruffian,
Sean

Dude! You do NOT post from a war zone under the title "Tragic Loss". :affraid:

You made me think one of your pipes had gotten shot. :p

Hey Sean,

Sorry about the loss of your mentor. But as you seem to have considerable enthusiasm for the art of piping, you should know that there are many on the Board who would be delighted to step in and attempt to fill kaiser's place and who will attempt to respond to your delight. No question is stupid. We were all n00bs, and smoking a pipe is far more complex, and wondrously so for that, than puffing on a cigarette or cigar.

Welcome to Wonderland!

Post a question, and we shall answer.

Sometimes, one of us might even be right! :face:

DrT999":o5gmel9e said:
Post a question, and we shall answer.

Sometimes, one of us might even be right! :face:

That's right, Sean. Bring it on! We're not skeered. Ask away, Brother! 8)

Kaiser is one heck of a guy and i'm sure you'll miss him. You guys will definitely keep in touch. Sounds like he left you well stocked though. Your new pipes should arrive any day now, so you'll have them as well.

Like George said, the title is misleading - considering where you're stationed. :mrgreen:

Yeah I kind of had an "...oh...sh*t..." moment when I read that title.

Don't do that to us, and we'll promise not to lead you to cheap Grabow pipes and tins of dried out Half & Half. :mrgreen:

8)

Kyle Weiss":tgmkc383 said:
Don't do that to us, and we'll promise not to lead you to cheap Grabow pipes and tins of dried out Half & Half. :mrgreen:

8)
Hey now, i've go a couple of older Dr. Grabow pipes that actually smoke pretty darn well.

Rob_In_MO":2pbouvap said:
Hey now, i've go a couple of older Dr. Grabow pipes that actually smoke pretty darn well.
Me too, but what you REALLY need to round out your collection is a nice denim-wrapped billiard or apple. Everyone who's anyone has one. No rack is truly complete without one, preferably well-worn. Good luck finding one, though. Their proud owners tend to hide them away, referring to them as "my precious". However, Sean, your plight has softened my heart. In your hour of need, I'm willing to part with my lovely "distressed" denim GBD. For you, I'll even consider a "friend price". Act now and I'll throw in a tin of 1888 Mid-Day. ;)

Good morning you sexy mofo!!! (I know he can't see this until morning lol, this would be the typical greeting) Dude I am still just a shout away on here or in email. Of course you know this since you are sending me your PAD pics to convert in servimg and send back in a link you can post lol. I tried to leave you pretty well off until you can get to your site, and I agree Froggy is the shiznittle. If it helps you any although I now have a decent chow hall, the latrines are as crappy, but the guys here are a bit on the....uh....young side in their mentality, which leaves a lot to be desired when discussing politics and the reasons we are here to begin with. The idscussions here are ways in which to use a head lamp to look like Iron Man....which leaves me slapping my head and yearning for an intelligent being somewhere in the galaxy to beam me up.

So as Sean will be on here even more gentlemen, so to will I, more so to indulge in a fill of intelligent discussion amongst friends. Thank you in advance, and Sean I am enjoying my Nude Meerschaum and a bowl of Froggy On The Town as I type this brother, just for you.

kaiser83":bru57vvj said:
So as Sean will be on here even more gentlemen, so to will I, more so to indulge in a fill of intelligent discussion amongst friends. Thank you in advance, and Sean I am enjoying my Nude Meerschaum and a bowl of Froggy On The Town as I type this brother, just for you.

Cool!

Kyle needs some competition. :mrgreen:

With that being said - I just hope you find enough 'Intelligent Conversation' on here to suit your needs. Not like threads just change direction without notice over something silly or mundane. Not here... 8)

:lol!:

Those changes are a lot of the fun of this forum brother. I am currently deep into the Habadashery section and reading. I figure in about a month or so I will have read all the threads on here....maybe lol.

Sean,
I was preparing a speech to comfort you in the death of a loved one, a serious injury, a lost pipe, a lost job, a divorce, anything but this. Don't you EVER scare me like that.
In other news brother let me tell you. I started smoking a pipe about a half a year before I joined this forum, I knew how to pack 'em, I knew how to light 'em, and I knew how to smoke 'em. The only problem is that I was smoking outta a metal lined plastic "Sanda" pipe you can get off of Ebay for 5 bucks, and smoking Admiral "Pipe" tobacco out of it. Than I wised up and bought a Dr. Grabow and some Borkum Riff. There started my PAD and TAD. I joined here, and asked more questions than a toddler learning how to talk. If these fine brotherly fellows didn't hate me by the end of my questions, I don't know what patience is. You ask away questions, and you'll get the better answers than you can imagine. This place has been more help to me than any person. I do envy you that you had a Mentor that lived near you, that's awesome! But you ask away brother. George Kaplan has been a kind patient mentor to me. I didn't mean to, but I sort of wrangled him into it, and he's been a huge help, and hasn't steered me wrong (yet). Hell, I'm still asking questions. Just enjoy your time here! I know I do.
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":2gp3o149 said:
George Kaplan has been a kind patient mentor to me. I didn't mean to, but I sort of wrangled him into it, and he's been a huge help, and hasn't steered me wrong (yet).
Dammit, Zach. Now my conscience won't let me sell "Old Denim" to him. Thanks a lot, bro. (I'm never gonna get rid of this thing.) :p

Guys. Don't be those kind that think that a comment is directed at an individual and take it personally.

There's cheap, crappy Grabows. There's Grabows that smoke fine. The two are not related.

GK, when does Zach get to play with the spear gun? Please YouTube the event. 8)

GuitarMyFriend":pkajpfrc said:
AH HA HA! I truly didn't mean to "pipe block" or "pipe swipe" you.
Zach
Don't worry about it. I'm sure Sean knows a crap deal when he sees one!

Kyle Weiss":dvdmyndo said:
Yeah I kind of had an "...oh...sh*t..." moment when I read that title.

8)
Um... I have to admit I don't know what a Grabow is. Can I still be in the club?

George Kaplan":j63140hb said:
Rob_In_MO":j63140hb said:
Me too, but what you REALLY need to round out your collection is a nice denim-wrapped billiard or apple. Everyone who's anyone has one. No rack is truly complete without one, preferably well-worn. Good luck finding one, though. Their proud owners tend to hide them away, referring to them as "my precious". However, Sean, your plight has softened my heart. In your hour of need, I'm willing to part with my lovely "distressed" denim GBD. For you, I'll even consider a "friend price". Act now and I'll throw in a tin of 1888 Mid-Day. ;)
Sir, the pitch was well done. I even thought about it for a moment. But I suspect I would need to change my flooring to deep red shag carpeting and panel the walls with fake wood if I were to somehow find that denim pipe in my home. I shudder at the thought.

Now, I would gladly help you try to find it a new home if you let me shoot your neighbors with the spear gun...