A tragic loss...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean68 said:
Um... I have to admit I don't know what a Grabow is. Can I still be in the club?

Not to worry, Brother.

Here is a link to their website. Grabow pipes are often found in convenience stores that actually do carry pipes, as well as smoke shops. They provide an honest Briar Pipe at an affordable price. Some are great smokers (especially some of the older ones), and some are passable. They're factory made here in the USA as well.

Actually, my first Dr. Grabow pipe I bought at Walgreens. So they're not that uncommon at all, and hard to beat for the price.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - notice I called you 'Brother', that means you're already in the club. 8)

I suspect I would need to change my flooring to deep red shag carpeting and panel the walls with fake wood if I were to somehow find that denim pipe in my home.
Don't overlook the Velvet Elvis.

:face:

Do you know how much folks ask for a vintage velvet Elvis these days? :shock: Not kidding. :|

You gotta be careful of Grabows. Compared to other inexpensive pipes out there, they can be total garbage or be okay, and you don't know until you've committed the $25 - $30 to them. For $25 - $30, one could have half a dozen MM cobs (that are almost guaranteed to smoke well) or a basket pipe, estate pipe or "seconds" that come from a known maker. Usually they feature filtered models (as are MM cobs, much to my chagrin), which to the unknowing, can set them up for a whole host of other problems thinking they have to use filters. (Bleh.)

Me? Never had luck with Grabows, and I've owned a good handful over the years, especially in my teens. I have gotten rid of most of them up to today. I'm not going to pony up the cash any more.

If you like 'em, you like 'em, but I think for the cost of shooting around in the dark, gambling with Grabow is kind of like dealing with aromatics--some guys enjoy 'em for life, some people move on. You're no less of a Brother for going whatever direction you choose, it just helps to know all sides.

8)

Sean68":amjgq64u said:
I suspect I would need to change my flooring to deep red shag carpeting and panel the walls with fake wood if I were to somehow find that denim pipe in my home.
You're in luck! It just so happens I can cut you a deal on the paneling, too. Real hardwood (veneer), too, not that crappy printed junk.