Aeromatics are killing me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I really like taste - but some of my aero's are biting like Northern Pike in the fall. I'm thinking of cutting a lot of my aero's with Carter Hall which I think is a good go to Burley.

Cherry and Carter Hall
Maple and Carter Hall
Rum and Carter Hall

You get the picture. Other than something with Latakia in it - is there anything that you can't cut with Carter Hall ? Thanks for the recommends.

woody

Woody, you can cut whatever you like with CH, of course, if it works for you.

My take on the aromatic thing is that some companies have managed to make good, bite free ones, by using better quality components than the Drugstore blends do.

Peterson Luxury Blend is not a biter at all.... it puts a lot to shame. And if you have a Brigham pipe, pop a new filter in and see if that doesn't help with the bite issues somewhat.

Yep, my experience so far with aeros has been mostly negative. Boy, I could almost eat them, and boy do they smell great, but my oh my they are harsh on Hoosier Puffer's puffer.

The aromatics I smoke work great for me. The Trout Stream blend and the PW&W #191 are fantastic smokes, no bite.

I think finding aros using quality tobacco is the key,,,the generic drugstore aromatic blends are goopy with humectants and overpowering casings. Wallyworlds jumbo five pound bag of economy cavendish has given aromatics a bad name. In a quality aro,the tobacco flavor should stand out, with the casing in the background,,,not overpowering, but still present. Only you can determine what what you like, but the gentlemen here have listed several quality aros as a good place to start. IMHO. :pipe:

I would also recommend the following Lane bulk aromatics, 1Q, BCA and RLP6. These are all pretty good aromatics that smoke to the drier side; taste pretty good with a nice room note.

I don't know if anyone has imparted this to you, but I'll toss in this tip. Any tobacco, if dried out a bit, should bite less. So if your aromatics are very moist before you are even smoking them, let them dry. You can sit them out in the air, or, put them on a piece of paper and sit it on top of a lamp that's turned on. Come back half an hour or an hour later, and your tobacco should be dried out a bit.

I've found that one works for me. Also, try different pipes.

The third suggestion - if you have a filter pipe, toss in a filter. If you've got any Brigham pipes, pick up a little box of their filters. (If you have a pipe but no filters, and no B&M nearby, PM me your address and I'll mail ya a box of 8) Actually, if you have any kind of pipe that fits a filter, let me know and I'll mail you some. The Medico ones work quite well too, and I find they really, really cut back on the bite.

Tyler

There truly are some fantastic aromatics out there, really.

For starters, lets define an aromatic: Tobacco with flavoring added (this would actually define the majority of tobacco blends out there). Some recommendations:

C&D: After Hours Flake (Red and Bright Virginia with Spiced Rum)
C&D: Blockade Runner (a TRUE Navy crumble cake VA and Rum)

GLP: Haddo's Delight (*high powered* to some: Vaper with a bit of unsweetened Black Cavendish and Rum)
GLP: Barbary Coast (Cube Cute Burley and Virginia with Brandy)

Benjamin Hartwell: Evening Stroll (Virgina based with Vanilla)

Mac Baren: Plumcake (Virginia and Burley dark spicy Cavendish and just a touch of Latakia and Rum)

SG: 1792 (*high powered* Dark Steam pressed African Virginia with Tonquin somewhat similar to vanilla)
SG: Bracken Flake (Dark Steam pressed Kentucky & fire-cured African Virginias with a Rose Germanium and other essences)
SG: Kendal Cream Flake (Burley and African Virginias nice cream and spice topping)

There are many others, but these are my 'touchstones'.

:pipe:

If you liek burleys, try SWR Aro, it won't bite, and a good taste.
Jayf

SG's Celtic Talisman is an outstanding dark cherry flavor without being too sweet. Good solid Virgina tobaccos underlying the wonderful flavor and room note.

I agree, the "drugstore" or OTC blends are nasty (to me).
I recently got a tin of Devils Holiday from Dan Tobacco and am enjoying it quite a bit.
I may try some of these that others have mentioned as well.

kilted1":pa6582lj said:
There truly are some fantastic aromatics out there, really.

For starters, lets define an aromatic: Tobacco with flavoring added (this would actually define the majority of tobacco blends out there). Some recommendations:

C&D: After Hours Flake (Red and Bright Virginia with Spiced Rum)
C&D: Blockade Runner (a TRUE Navy crumble cake VA and Rum)

GLP: Haddo's Delight (*high powered* to some: Vaper with a bit of unsweetened Black Cavendish and Rum)
GLP: Barbary Coast (Cube Cute Burley and Virginia with Brandy)

Benjamin Hartwell: Evening Stroll (Virgina based with Vanilla)

Mac Baren: Plumcake (Virginia and Burley dark spicy Cavendish and just a touch of Latakia and Rum)

SG: 1792 (*high powered* Dark Steam pressed African Virginia with Tonquin somewhat similar to vanilla)
SG: Bracken Flake (Dark Steam pressed Kentucky & fire-cured African Virginias with a Rose Germanium and other essences)
SG: Kendal Cream Flake (Burley and African Virginias nice cream and spice topping)

There are many others, but these are my 'touchstones'.

:pipe:
Sounds Delicious Kilted. Will try. What does GLP stand for. sorry new at this.

Sounds Delicious Kilted. Will try. What does GLP stand for. sorry new at this.
Gregory L. Pease. He's a tobacco blender who has more or less taken the pipe smoking world by storm. :D

History Major - you gave me the greatest tip. Dry the baccy out. Works like a charm - although I smoked a few too many samples last night. I'm suffering the old Captain Black syndrome of dragging on these blends like my last cigarette.

Must slow down - sip - slow down - sip yada yada.

Bill

woody":jb3wjxbc said:
I really like taste - but some of my aero's are biting like Northern Pike in the fall.
I've found that some aromatics are not worth the pain. Some of those can be tamed down with some Lane BCA, but there are a few that need no taming. One that comes to mind is Mac Baren Honey & Chocolate. Of course, Lane BCA in itself it pretty bite free.

Thanks for that Bill - I will try the Honey and Chocolate from MacB

Woody, I went through the same learning curve when I started smoking. I thought the tongue bite was from too dry of tobacco, so more moisture would certainly "cool" the smoke down. For a while I put those clay moisture disks in the already moist tobacco, making it even wetter.

Once I was shown the difference drying makes, it revolutionized my smoking. Trial and error I guess.

Natch