Aeromatics are killing me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HistoryMajor":k9554oxx said:
Sounds Delicious Kilted. Will try. What does GLP stand for. sorry new at this.
Gregory L. Pease. He's a tobacco blender who has more or less taken the pipe smoking world by storm. :D
I prefer C&D's offerings myself. More selection.

Father Sergius":tb2a9ngr said:
No fans of Iwan Ries 3 Star blue here?
well there's another one to try - thanks Father. My list is now 275 aero's long.

I'd be careful of 1792. It's good stuff, but a bit intense, even for a seasoned smoker.
You may also want to try some of the milder English blends. I switched a while ago, and haven't gone back.

woody":ugd4wuqb said:
Father Sergius":ugd4wuqb said:
No fans of Iwan Ries 3 Star blue here?
well there's another one to try - thanks Father. My list is now 275 aero's long.
woody i would hate to see how much its going to cost you for all them samples :affraid:

I've really been getting a craving for aromatics lately, since I finished off that tin of Devil's Holiday. I think I feel a TAD attack coming on...this time I think a pound is in order...except everyones sold out...thanks to Winslow :joker: .

EJinVA":c7heogf1 said:
I've really been getting a craving for aromatics lately, since I finished off that tin of Devil's Holiday. I think I feel a TAD attack coming on...this time I think a pound is in order...except everyones sold out...thanks to Winslow :joker: .
me to EJ i want to try some of that devil's holiday and Boswells Christmas Cookie i think at the end of this month i going to have a real bad tad attack :mrgreen:

Has anyone experienced this?

I was a cigar smoker before I "moved up" to the pipe.
The stogies that were in my regular rotation were medium to full bodied smokes.
I have never had a problem with "bite". I have asked a few friends and the ones that smoked heavier cigars agreed that they never had "bite" when they smoke their pipes.
I guess you could say that I was already "conditioned" for the pipe when I started a while back.

Anyone feel the same / different?

To the first poster:

I don't have much advice for making your aromatics bite less, but I can recommend one that seems to be high quality and incredibly tasty, which is: Boswell's Berry Cobbler. It smells and tastes like heaven.

To the poster above me:

I don't ever recall having bite from a cigar. There was a short period where my throat sort of needed conditioned and would be sore the morning after I smoked, but never did I get real bite from them. The closest thing I've had to that is the heat you get from smoking down to the nub. Honestly, I think starting with cigars has made pipe smoking a little more challenging, as I am inclined to puff my pipes too hard because of it.

DoverPipes":ev53sgkf said:
Has anyone experienced this?

I was a cigar smoker before I "moved up" to the pipe.
The stogies that were in my regular rotation were medium to full bodied smokes.
I have never had a problem with "bite". I have asked a few friends and the ones that smoked heavier cigars agreed that they never had "bite" when they smoke their pipes.
I guess you could say that I was already "conditioned" for the pipe when I started a while back.

Anyone feel the same / different?
It tells me a little about your cigar selection. You've obviously smoked quality cigars, so you have developed a great puffing pace, I bet you also are able to have long ash before it crumbles to the counter due to this pace.

I had the same experience, no tongue bite. I started developing bite issues as the world sped up around me; that is, when I didn't have the time to devote to a pipe but tried to force one in. I am back to a normal pace and rarely experience bite.

I'm not sure if it's because it was a heavier cigar though or just a quality cigar. When I'm smoking a 20 dollar stick, I want it to last as long as possible, so I don't smoke like I'm trying to send smoke signals.

For pipe smoking, I always think of it like this: my pipe should always be on the verge of going out, and I puff just in time to keep it stoked. A tamp here, and I'm set!

I have had several aros that didn't bite but the problem for me is that they tend to cloak the natural taste of the tobacco. Also the overuse of black cavendish flattens the flavor out and ultimately makes it boring for me. I get a sweet tooth occasionally and would like to find one that is sweet but where you can still taste the natural tobacco. Probably a cased Va/Burley blend would be ideal. 4noggins have a couple of blends that sound intriguing and the reviews have been good. Gonna order up some samples.

Father Orin and Jesse's Own both sound pretty good, Jack.

You are right - overuse of black cavendish "flattens the flavor". Bang on.

You might want to give the aromatics from Boswell Pipes and Tobaccos a try. I've smoked many of them and never had any trouble with tongue bite. My own personal favorites are PA Dutch Treat and No Bite Delite but there are several other good ones on their website.

Smokey

Add, Dark Flake Unscented and Aromatic, and Conniston and Bosun Cut Plugs by Gawith and Hoggart?