Ageing tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flytyer

Reaction score
I looked up a general rule that said after 10 years of ageing a cigar peaks. I have a small cellar and i dont have any tins over a few years old, But I was just wondering if there is an amount of time when pipe tobacco reaches its ''peak''. Assumeing its well sealed in tins or jars, Im just looking for experiances and input. Thanks.

I think it depends on the 'baccy and your tastes. To me, some are best when fresh and these seem to include blends that are burley forward.

'ginnys tend to be a bit sharp and bitey when fresh, but there again there are exceptions to this - here I'm thinking of John Pattons Virginia Squire and C&D Virginia Gentleman which I like fresh. However, I do tend to prefer straight VA with several years of age on them as it tends to mellow them a bit and the complexities come forward.

VaPers I tend to prefer mostly fresh. Escudo comes to mind.

Latakia blends seem to get more complex and mellow with age too. Yet two of my staple English blends - P&W Churchill and #78 - I enjoy fresh.

At the end of the day, it all depends on your palate and what you enjoy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

RR

I have often heard that this is true, though the tobacco will continue to age. What happens is when it reaches the "peak" year, the aging process slows considerably (though it is till moving forward).

That is, of course, what they say.

It seems to me that I read somewhere that Virginias improve for about 10 years, but reach their peak at 7.
Latakias mellow more than age and reach their peak at about 3 years. I don't remember where I read this information, but given the fact that I put little credence into the "I think..." or "in my experience" type of statements, preferring information based on real measurements, that it may have been in something written by Mr. Pease.

I believe the information concerning Virginias was based on sugar content, but again, I am not certain.

I'm in agreement with other BoB members. Not being an organic chemist, my two cents for what its worth; VA have high sugar content (hence the reason they burn hot), likely due to the nitrogen rich soil in which they are grown (which also means higher nicotine). Sugars take a very long time to break down hence the reason VAs age so wonderfully. I would think that if the tobacco was impervious to air circulation there would not be a theoretical limit on how long they could age. Having said that, any tin with rubber pressure seals will break down over time (as oppose to the pop top kind) as such the 10 year threshold might hold true before the rubber starts to disintegrate and the seal is compromised. I think of it similar to wine, over time they get better likely due to the slow break down of sugar.

'English' blends, specifically 'orientals' are grown in nitrogen poor soil, hence lower sugar and lower nicotine as such don't benefit much from aging - keeping in mind that any English blend does have varying degrees of VAs...

It depends on many factors; the blend, its storage conditions, what you want from it. Virginias and VA/perique blends that are well done seem to go on indefinitely. I've smoked some Three Nuns that was well over 50 years old, and there was no sign that it was even close to its downhill slope.

Latakia does soften over time, and depending on what else is in the blend, and in what proportions, the blend could go flat, or develop interesting new dimensions. But, if sharp, youthful Latakia is your thing, anything over a few years old may disappoint.

Here's Aged, or Just Old, for a little more, and Saving for a Rainy Day for some of my general thoughts on building a cellar.

Cheers!

"I've smoked some Three Nuns that was well over 50 years old, and there was no sign that it was even close to its downhill slope. "

Too bad that's not true for humans! :lol:

Natch

Thanks for all the great responses, and the articles to Greg.