Aging Irish Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19Volks71

Reaction score
Does anybody do this? Are the results worthwhile?
I smoke the stuff, usually a bowl a day and I don't keep a whole lot on hand.
It was smoking really good last night and it hit me that I had never thought to stock up.

Thanks all.

I won't say that aging is useless. But...
I can't tell a difference in a tin bought 3 year ago a d one bought last month.

Burley and dark fired age.. But we are talking decades not years.

I dont see much point in buying more stock than you consume in a year. The risk of negatively affecting your tobacco by keeping it in not proper conditions at home is much higher that the little improvement, if any, you will get by "ageing" the tobacco.

You may be right .I will start smoking on my (maybe stored right)400 + Lbs. TODAY! :sunny:

I too can't detect any improvement in Irish Flake stored as opposed to new...and often find that blends with Burley in them actually degrade over time, in terms of flavor. I think this might be due to casings added to the blends 'volitilizing' or something and have found it to be the case with Irish Flake, various of the Gawith & Hogwarts blends, Stonehaven, etc. And those are just the flakes!

So there's one reason NOT to stock up and save/hoard, etc.

On the other side...consider the current status of many of the Brit Blends that you can't hardly lay yer hands on fer love nor money! Unless you lay up a good store, you're gonna end up Jonesing fer sure!

And if the current status of 'hard to get' were to be extrapolated out into the future only to become the dreaded - GONE WITH THE WIND...then, unless you had a significant stash, you'd be screwed blue and tatoo'd (as the saying goes).

Of course I prefer to cover both contingencies...enough on hand to smoke at will plus enough in the hold to last a good long time. But having just today snagged a pound of Stonehaven after nearly being out for months - I know that ain't gonna happen.

Tis a puzzlement.

innovador":co1fivag said:
I dont see much point in buying more stock than you consume in a year. The risk of negatively affecting your tobacco by keeping it in not proper conditions at home is much higher that the little improvement, if any, you will get by "ageing" the tobacco.
It's hard to get my head around investing lot's of money in tobacco for this reason. It could be years before I know if aging has minutely improved the flavor of the tobacco, or ruined it completely.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about tobacco, and I can't tell the difference between most blends.

There is enough information around regarding aging, cellaring, and storing technique in this forum and other sites; as well as plenty of reliable accounts of success with doing so that it should be enought to relieve any unease one might have with regards to the soundness of the investment.

If you can stumble upon a tin that has been sitting on a back shelf in a B&M for a few years and it still smokes just as good (or better) as a new tin, it's reasonable to assume that the same would hold true for a tin stored on a bookshelf in your home for a few years.

If you wanna know what aged tobacco tastes like it's not hard to come by, either via internet vendor, lucky score at a B&M, box pass, secret santa, trade or even just plain old brotherly generosity. I've only been a pipe smoker for a short while, but I've tried several tobaccos that were much older than the year or two that I have actually been smoking a pipe. I've got enough stored to last me several times that span and plans for more.

It seems (to me anyway) that it's really a matter of whether you want to pay some now, or pay more later and a matter of whether or not you like what age can do to a blend.

Edit: with regards to the OP, Irish Flake is not a blend I would consider cellaring for the benefits of age, based on the information I have gathered. If you really want to know what aged Irish Flake is like, check pipestuds site frequently or just simply buy an extra tin next time and set it aside for a decade or two :lol:

Frost":rpfopm4b said:
There is enough information around regarding aging, cellaring, and storing technique in this forum and other sites; as well as plenty of reliable accounts of success with doing so that it should be enought to relieve any unease one might have with regards to the soundness of the investment.

If you can stumble upon a tin that has been sitting on a back shelf in a B&M for a few years and it still smokes just as good (or better) as a new tin, it's reasonable to assume that the same would hold true for a tin stored on a bookshelf in your home for a few years.

If you wanna know what aged tobacco tastes like it's not hard to come by, either via internet vendor, lucky score at a B&M, box pass, secret santa, trade or even just plain old brotherly generosity. I've only been a pipe smoker for a short while, but I've tried several tobaccos that were much older than the year or two that I have actually been smoking a pipe. I've got enough stored to last me several times that span and plans for more.

It seems (to me anyway) that it's really a matter of whether you want to pay some now, or pay more later and a matter of whether or not you like what age can do to a blend.

Edit: with regards to the OP, Irish Flake is not a blend I would consider cellaring for the benefits of age, based on the information I have gathered. If you really want to know what aged Irish Flake is like, check pipestuds site frequently or just simply buy an extra tin next time and set it aside for a decade or two :lol:
Good to know, thanks.

Blackhorse pretty much told me what I was looking to hear. I was curious about Irish Flake in particular because of it's peculiar casing that makes it smell like a can of fresh Copenhagen.

I think I have found what I was looking for in JackKnife Plug, which I sampled for the first time yesterday. It may have been the anticipation, but if the rest of that tobacco wad smokes as well as my first two bowls, I don't see a place in my rotation any more for Irish Flake since I am primarily a latakia/oriental junkie.

In regards to Harlock's comment about investing that much into tobacco... It's really just another element of the hobby for me. It's similar with my albums and CD's. I'm very much a completest when it comes to music. While I don't see myself rounding out the entire GLP or C&D offerings, I will load up on a loved tobacco until I'm satisfied that there is enough on my shelf to get me through a tough time i.e. the nuclear/zombie apocalypse.

pipe dreamer":58a0xnys said:
You may be right .I will start smoking on my (maybe stored right)400 + Lbs. TODAY! :sunny:
at age 64 with 400+ lbs I would have started YESTERDAY! :shock:

19Volks71":3zu2c17g said:
I will load up on a loved tobacco until I'm satisfied that there is enough on my shelf to get me through a tough time i.e. the nuclear/zombie apocalypse.
GH& co Dark blends, Irish Flake, etc are perfect for this.. Zombies are repulsed by the heavy nicotene smoke.. Ironically enough Kentucky Tobacco smoke is the only thing that shields radiation better than Iron.

It's also good to have a couple of cobs on hand for Z day as well. Wouldn't want to drop one of those expensive high end briars while smashing zombie skulls.

To Frost and PB: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has at the very least considered the provisions should zombies overrun the homefront.

PB- I will certainly keep in mind the added benefits of Kentucky leaf beyond a decent nicotine kick.

Frost- I have drawn up plans for a small plot of corn in the back; not for harvest of food, but for harvest of the cob itself. A decent corn cob is most certainly battle ready. Not to mention undeniably badass when taking on swarms of the undead. You are right that we wouldn't want to harm our precious briar unless of course you are talking about this 7.5" beast:
http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/products/002-004-1320.jpg

... Which could easily be used itself for zombie skull smashing.

Behold the ZombieLand Special (aka: the PipeHawk)...fill it with JackKnife and you've got yourself one formidable weapon indeed! Let those redshirt zombies beware!!!

CAS-XH2119.jpg

for those in true need of this fine device:

http://www.agrussell.com/pipe-hawk/p/CAS-XH2119/

Warwick":uxcto7cq said:
Blackhorse":uxcto7cq said:
Behold the ZombieLand Special (aka: the PipeHawk)...fill it with JackKnife and you've got yourself one formidable weapon indeed! Let those redshirt zombies beware!!!

for those in true need of this fine device:

http://www.agrussell.com/pipe-hawk/p/CAS-XH2119/

Dang it...so much for willpower...order placed. Just too unusual to not own one. :)
Can't blam ya'. Come payday I might have to get one too. 99 bones aint all that bad...even if it is made in china. Wonder if it is actually smokeable :lol: