Alfa Romeo is back and in business! (Maybe)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone seen the new Alfa Romeo Giulia out and about in their hometowns? I've never been much of an Italian guy when it comes to cars (those Bavarian hillbillies make some damn nice ones, I'm a BMW fan through and through), but I'm really intrigued by the Giulia. I know it's too early to tell about issues with reliability and maintenance, but if I was given the right offer to jump ship I'd seriously consider it. Overall, though the starting price point is a bit higher than a 3 series, modestly loaded out it comes in quite a bit cheaper than similar specs for a 3 series, and it's got one heck of an engine/transmission combo.

I think I'm just looking for an excuse to test drive and possibly buy one now....

I remember when Fiat (the present day (?) owners of Alpha Romeo was know as Fix It Again Tony.
That said, last November I bought a Jeep made in Italy by Fiat, constructed with U.S. made running gear. Only put 1200 miles on it so far (retired). Just figured I would throw this out there as an example of the modern day multi-national corporations(G).. After Benz bought Chrysler at bankruptcy prices, grabbed all the Chrysler technology they wanted, and dumped the company..

bosun1":bpvcmms2 said:
I remember when Fiat (the present day (?) owners of Alpha Romeo was know as Fix It Again Tony.
That said, last November I bought a Jeep made in Italy by Fiat, constructed with U.S. made running gear.  Only put 1200 miles on it so far (retired).  JUst figured I would throw this out there (G)..
They definitely seem to have a better build quality than in the past... I still wouldn't touch a Fiat with a 10 foot pole, but that's more for personal preference and aesthetic reasons.

I like Maserati a lot as well, but I couldn't live with purchasing a (used) Ghibli for $50,000+, or new at $72,000+, and have the same interior as a $25,000 Dodge. The Alfa, on the other hand, is cheaper and has actual Italian interior and exterior design and parts. It seems like a really good deal on the outside.

So far, do you like your Jeep?

The Jeep...it replaced a Ford Focus which was designed to go around corners fast so to me a corner was a new challenge. Sign says 25mph, lets try 45..lets try 55...60 feels good. The Jeep I worry about tipping over and when hitting a dip on one side of the road the steering wheel wants to turn that way, then turns the other way when coming out of the dip, causing a wobble (G). If when pulling onto a road in traffic, a hard left turn with some gas will cause some slippage and the car thinks it is slippery/icy. So it shuts off power to the wheels no matter what you do to the gas pedal. Probably a two second falter, but when pulling into traffic feels forever. So I shut off the anti-skid feature. Been driving close to 50 years without all this new-fangled stuff.. Nine speed trannie..quite often at a common speed like 45mph I hear a funny hum and it feels like the engine is dogging. Pull the gear shift lever into manual, downshift and all is golden..Its a short car so my rifles don't fit properly in the 'trunk' back of the rear seats. But really haven't given the car a chance to show its mettle.. Michigan roads are turning into a travesty and the state government is crying about money. I wanted a small pickup (like a Ranger) but they aren't making/importing them, so went for a small SUV, and Jeep Renegade was the first to pop up in a search. Got an oil change at the Ford dealer, drove across the road, looked, drove, discussed. bought. MR. Salesman save your nonsense I ain't no teenager. Short and sweet.. But those Alfas are some pretty looking cars!!

I know the ad campaign for the Giulia is appealing and impressive. The ad agency definitely earned their money.

The shape somewhat reminds me of old Saabs. It doesn't really make me think "Italian!"

Zeno Marx":11m9hrck said:
I know the ad campaign for the Giulia is appealing and impressive.  The ad agency definitely earned their money.

The shape somewhat reminds me of old Saabs.  It doesn't really make me think "Italian!"
Yes, I think that's totally fair. It's got the exterior look and appear of the German competitors it is going after.

I didn't get the "Italian!" feel until I peered into the car; it's got an interesting business sedan mix, along with Ferrari flair. Really impressive.

I'd like to see how their manufacturing is holding up, and if there are lots of issues with the cars first, but I have a feeling dealerships may be looking to make deals on them. As of now, they've sold around 2,800 models in the US, compared to 23,000+ BMW 3 series models, and approximately the same for Mercedes and Audi. Jaguar is beating them 2 to 1 in sales, and considering the reputation Jaguar had for their cars, I'm sad to see the Alfas not being moved at a better rate. Guess that means it'll be easier to wheel and deal for one!

I know I’m dragging up a old post but I m curious. How did the search for the alpha go? I really like the looks of them. I like the newer fiats as well. The new fiat 124 spider looks great even if it is a rebadged Miata