All of my best friends are flakes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
More true than not. More ways than not.

It was brought up recently, and now I can't find the thread, asking what tobaccos should be flakes that aren't. I figured it was a silly thing to ask, but finally, people started answering "...all of them."

I found a strange, natural equilibrium in flakes that I took for granted until I chose some Squadron Leader today, the first time in a while, and I felt like a derp-headed fool trying to smoke it. I must have lost some of my touch being so spoiled by the goodness, even-burning, effortless packing (can you say...stuff and go?--okay, maybe a little breaking up of the chunks...) and smooth-burning of a good flake. These ribbons....were they packed right? Did a piece just clog my draft hole, and kept returning like a breeze-swept piece of paper on a fence? Where's my damn flavor? Wait...tamping...again? Are you kidding? Aarrg!

:lol:

It was a good smoke, but geez, talk about high maintenance. I began wondering how I could start re-compressing them in the tin.

Curse ye, ribbon cut. May they ALL be flakes.

(...or plugs....)

Sorry, had to rant. Gotta keep up my ribbon-bacca kung fu up to practice. :x :x :x

8)

Just rubb those flakes out completely and then they will load like ribbon cut and you will be fine :p

Ever try pressing tobacco in a vice? Won't make a flake, because I think that requires some serious time and pressure, but it's a very interesting experiment. It can actually change the flavor profile of a blend, and make it richer and more intense, kind of like a flake. It becomes almost a crumble cake, at least in my limited experience.

Nope, haven't tried it. I don't really even know too much about the process involved in pressing the tobacco, just that it has to do with some square (probably wood) boxes and ancient torture device-looking threaded presses that exert a disturbing amount of direct pressure. When I learn more, I'll probably try my hand at ghetto-pressing. I'm thinking it would end up more like a "krumble kake" than flake/plug though, if done with already-cut ribbon bacca.

If ribbon cuts don't work for you, just STOP smoking them :p K.I.S.S. it, will make your life simpler :twisted: Besides, you don't want to be seen as a whinner do you ? :twisted:

monbla256":27ybeuhr said:
If ribbon cuts don't work for you, just STOP smoking them :p K.I.S.S. it, will make your life simpler :twisted: Besides, you don't want to be seen as a whinner do you ? :twisted:
facepalm.gif

George Kaplan? A little help here? Monblasolini's...doing it again. :lol:

monbla256":i3hk97g0 said:
Besides, you don't want to be seen as a whinner do you ? :twisted:
How'd that saying go, now? Stick with the whiners? :scratch:

:lol!: :lol!:

Come to think of it, I hardly smoke ribbon cut anymore either. A little McB Acadian Perique once in a blue moon. The odd English blend from time to time, too. I'm always surprised at how quickly they burn in comparison to flakes. Even if I rub the flake out, it's still different than a plain ribbon cut blend.

I'm a novice and have been avoiding the flakes because I can't pack them correctly!

PS - I love emoticons. :farao:

I have yet to find a Squadron Leader or EMP flake equivalent, and I believe those are the only ribbon-baccas I have that I rely upon. :( Storm Front always loads and burns just fine for me, so I can exclude it... :lol: Like I said, just gotta keep my adaptability skill honed. For now.

8)

Just finished some Squadron Leader. Smoked great to the bottom of the bowl. Love that stuff.

Phil

:lol!: Let's see, started the day with Virginia Woods, ribbon cut, then wev'e had two more bowls of Royal Blend, again ribbon cut, and will have some Ashbury after dinner, it's ribbon cut and all load easy, light well and smoke to the proverbial "fine grey ash" as expected :p Guess that's what ** years will do for ya :lol!:

Must be the wind, Monbla. I hear wind keeps pipes burnin' pretty good. 8) Blooooooooooooowing wind.

Livin' out there where the wind blows on the desert, you ought not to have any problem :p Guess it's just experience mmmmmm :twisted:

I love you guys, but most of you are idiots. Big, loveable idiots. I didn't ask for any advice, but you big lugs, you just can't help yourselves.

Do you not know light, humorous topics of conversations when you see them? Of course you do, but, you knuckle-draggers, you only gots 'em two gears. Slow and stop. :lol:

I don't care. I love y'all the way you are. Except Monbla. What you read is mostly pity. Mixed with some mockery. :twisted: :p :p :p

8)

Kyle Weiss":xow5wepj said:
I love you guys, but most of you are idiots. Big, loveable idiots. I didn't ask for any advice, but you big lugs, you just can't help yourself.

Do you not know light, humorous topics of conversations when you see them? Of course you do, but, you knuckle-draggers, you only gots two gears. Slow and stop. :lol:

I don't care. I love y'all the way you are. Except Monbla. What you read is mostly pity. :twisted:

8)
Feelings mutual :twisted:

Kyle Weiss":f8hy24kt said:
I love you guys, but most of you are idiots. Big, loveable idiots. I didn't ask for any advice, but you big lugs, you just can't help yourselves.

Do you not know light, humorous topics of conversations when you see them? Of course you do, but, you knuckle-draggers, you only gots 'em two gears. Slow and stop. :lol:

I don't care. I love y'all the way you are. Except Monbla. What you read is mostly pity. Mixed with some mockery. :twisted: :p :p :p

8)
I may be an idiot but I do realize that putting a smiley at the end of a sentence does not make it less condescending and prickish.
Just curious... did you even watch the 2 min vid before smashing it?

Oh wait.... here is my :D

Bill