Alternative to Dunhill 965?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latakiahaze

Reaction score
A bit about my tobacco tastes. Predominantly an English fan I'm also comfortable with VA's and aromatics (on occasion). I guess tastes change depending on the time of day, the season, and the pipe one smokes, but currently my "go to" daily smoke is My Mixture 965. Not so strong on the latakia as another favourite - Commonwealth from Sam Gawith, but very cool and flavoursome all round. Burns very well after a little drying out and seems to tick all the right boxes for a daily (for me at least).
Given this current penchant for 965 I was wondering what other baccies (Dunhill or othwerwise) that might satiate my craving for a good reliable daily smoke, with some similar qualities to the aforementioned weed? I know this is all a matter of personal taste but was just curious if any other brothers had got a bit hooked on 965 and wanted to find something in a similar vein to rotate. Any ideas welcome. Thanks guys, Duncan. :D

I know Mcclelland makes a match for 965 and Century by Peretti are on that same ballpark.

The master of the English-Balkan genre is G L Pease. Ufortunartely, his stuff might be hard to come by over there, and expensive. (?)

Someone more familiar with what he turns out could find you a closely similar one to your 965.

:face:

Squadron Leader stands up well to regular smoking. "Commonwealth Lite," pretty much, with a bit more complexity.

965 is my go to blend, when vitamin L is on tap. I was fortunate to snag a lb of well aged bulk a little while ago on another site (~10 yrs aged). Delightful when the Latakia Johnes itch needs to be scratched! In a class all by itself.

Penzance is another option, but there the Latakia plays a more dominant role. Lacks the complexity of 965, but when one craves demon L there's no substitute.

Duncan, FWIW my regular English blends are P&W #78 and Churchill. In fact right now I'm enjoying a pipeload of #78. While the Latakia here is restrained compared to 965 I find it a great companion in my Maestro poker after supper. Full bodied, rich and dee-lish.

Don't know if you can get any in Wales, but if your wife is visiting WV she can order some to bring back. Highly recommended! Here's their website if you're interested-

http://www.vtpipes.com/

Cheers,

RR

8)

LV9":5i4z2amw said:
I know Mcclelland makes a match for 965 and Century by Peretti are on that same ballpark.
yup

british, royal, and omega are also worth a shot if that's the sort of thing you're after.

I wish someone would try to match Crown Achievement. I really miss it. I mention it here because I'd recommend it as a 965 alternative...if it was available.

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but some of the advice in this thread is frighteningly clueless.

You should try Bruce's Pipe Shop Beck's Ol' Limey B., available from 4noggins in bulk. Some say this is the closest blend to old 965, including the late Bill Taylor of Ashton pipes. I smoke it regularly and can attest that is a great blend, if you like sweet Latakia blends. But I don't know if 4noggins ships abroad.

Yak":g1igwesy said:
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but some of the advice in this thread is frighteningly clueless.

I may be frequently accused of being clueless. Hopefully my enthusiasm and desire to help makes up for my shortcomings!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

For straight Englishes I´ll add Dunhill EMP, PS Proper English, and second SG Squadron Leader as decent all day smokes. All three have been mine at one time.

MM965 has Orientals and Cavendish in it in addition to the Latakia and Va. so perhaps finding some other blends with those components in them might be a cool project. Personally' 965 has never been a favorite of mine, so I can´t really point you to particular blend.

As previously mentioned, McClelland has their version of it. The only recreation of theirs I know is the AM Pipe they made as a Dunhill EMP replacement. Good, but didn´t have a lot to do with EMP in my opinion.

Wet Dottle":xc58asvg said:
You should try Bruce's Pipe Shop Beck's Ol' Limey B., available from 4noggins in bulk. Some say this is the closest blend to old 965, including the late Bill Taylor of Ashton pipes. I smoke it regularly and can attest that is a great blend, if you like sweet Latakia blends. But I don't know if 4noggins ships abroad.
Thanks for this. Have ordered some from 4Noggins - they do ship to the UK - will wait to see if it all goes smoothly. Can't wait to try it out :D

NeroWolfe":gv88fat3 said:
Father Dempsey Blend from Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop, Beverly Hills, California......This is as good or better than 965 !!! Old-time blend....Old-time shop.....Excellent mail-order service by phone. Here is a link to the shop's site; look at the blends and go to "Father Dempsey":

http://www.kramerstobaccoshop.com/frontpageframeset.html
Thanks for the link. I have emailed to enquire if they might ship to the UK. The blends sound delicious! :)

Thanks for all the great advice. Also, in somewhat answering my own question :joker: I have recently discovered Ashton's Artisans Blend. This is wonderful weed: somewhere between 965 and Old Dublin IMHO. A great all-day smoke that never loses its flavour and doesn't bite (me, anyhow).

Wet Dottle":ff46w6db said:
An update on the 4 Noggins situation. Becks Ol' Limey arrived within the week to the UK without a hitch. Have now smoked four bowls in different pipes and must agree this is a most wonderful blend, certainly better than the current 965. What with this blend and Ashton's Artisan's I must have reached the Holy Grail - or at least be very close to it! Thanks again for putting me on to this one. :D

We must have similar tastes, because I also like Artisan blend a lot. Glad to know I was of help. :D

What's the name (and address and phone #, if you have it handy) of the bricks and mortar shop that blends Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard? Anyone? Thanks a lot.

*I ask because, for some reason, I thought it was a Boston shop. Is it indeed the shop in Asheville, NC?