Alternative to Dunhill 965?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeno - Bruce's, who formulated Ole Limey Bastard, is indeed in Asheville:

Phone: (828) 253-8822
Toll Free: (866) 837-5097

377 Merrimon Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801

4 Noggins also stocks OLB, and they do ship to the UK.

The fine Boston shop you may be wondering about is L J Peretti's, right off the Boston Common. They blend Century, Omega, Royal and British Blend.

Some other blends that are in the same range of DH 965:

H&H Ambassador
C&D Tuggle Hall #965

hp
les

The thing that stands out to me in 965 is the cavendish. It has a very distinct flavor and effect on the blend. As such, I think Old Dublin is a good substitute as the cavendish there is also noticeable.

Interesting. I get the Cav in Old Dublin right enough. 965 not at all! Perhaps I'll go revisit it.

Cheers,

RR

Jimbo":9z9897mc said:
The thing that stands out to me in 965 is the cavendish. It has a very distinct flavor and effect on the blend. As such, I think Old Dublin is a good substitute as the cavendish there is also noticeable.

It doesn't do you any good since your are in Wales but I've always heard from pipers whose opinion I respect that C&D 965 Tuggle Hall is a close match to 965. C&D doesn't ship to foreign countries.

Smokey

Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard is my regular "go to" for a 965 smoke. I'm enjoying a large bowl now in my Hilson Houston pipe. If you have not experienced this outstanding blend you are a man missing a solid treat. Hopefully Rich Gottlieb and 4 Noggings will be around for a long time. Otherwise, in the future men will be seeking the best substitute for Ol' Limey Bastard instead of 965. It is just that good. BTW my next pound of this tobacco has already been ordered and is on the way.