Am I a victim of marketing? s*^t.(RE: Dunhill's pretty tins)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ll admit that EMP and Night Cap sucked me in via their tin art .(Dunhill has the best tin art IMHO.) Night Cap was my first ever tin but It's been the high quality tobacco taste that has kept me coming back again and again. I still like and smoke both blends. Ironically I smoke EMP in the morning and Night Cap at night. I was unaware of the requirement of having to actually wear a night cap when smoking Night Cap but if thats what I have to do.... :lol!:

I also dig the tin art of the Orlik judge on Golden Sliced and the classic look of the Presbyterian Tin.

BuckeyeBoy34":yuawoaz1 said:
I ll admit that EMP and Night Cap sucked me in via their tin art .(Dunhill has the best tin art IMHO.) Night Cap was my first ever tin but It's been the high quality tobacco taste that has kept me coming back again and again. I still like and smoke both blends. Ironically I smoke EMP in the morning and Night Cap at night. I was unaware of the requirement of having to actually wear a night cap when smoking Night Cap but if thats what I have to do.... :lol!:

I also dig the tin art of the Orlik judge on Golden Sliced and the classic look of the Presbyterian Tin.
This post +1, except I very non-ironically smoke EMP frequently in the evenings. 8)

Hater, I think I've got this figured out. It's not the tin art, per se, that's hooked you. It's the smoking schedule presented by EMP and Nightcap. You just need to feel like you're getting the timing right! :p That's why you don't like Exhausted Rooster. You sould be smoking that right after...um...your "rooster's" been to the..."hen's nest"? (You're married. You figure it out.) In the meantime, maybe you should try some Villiger 1888. They've got your whole day planned for you, with Early Day, Mid-Day, After Dinner, Cocktail Hour, maybe Brunch? I don't Know. Hope that helps. :p Still waiting for a pic of you in that night cap.
Kyle Weiss":rmw26vi6 said:
C&D has really plain tins and really "flashy" art tins, neither of which really got to me. Their art is cartoonish at best, and their plain stuff is sterile.
The exception to the C&D cartoon tins, and also a couple of my favorites from them:

I agree, most of their art looks pretty silly. If I smoked something like Purple Cow, I'd probably hide it behind some dignified Rattray's tins. The only thing worse than C&D's tin art is their official website. It looks like it hasn't beet updated since the mid 90s. DON'T go there if you ever want to take them seriously.

Gotta love this one too. :lol:

dan_to10.jpg

If you were smoking tobacco you hated to get tins you liked, you might have some concern for suscepibility to marketing. Otherwise, marketing is just doing its job. I once bought a tin of HoW's Barking Dog to get the packaging, but the tobacco was pretty good, too. I wanted to velcro some empty tins on the walls of my man cave, but the missus explained that I own what's within the walls, but the walls themselves are under her jurisdiction. Something like condo law, which I don't understand, I guess. Yes, dear. Sorry, dear.

I am quite a traditionalist and the tins appeal to me also. As a whole, the Dunhill tins are the best looking, I think. I have yet to smoke any, although I have tree different blends (Flake, London Mixture, and Early Morning Pipe).

I also love the Rattray's canisters and bought them solely for their shelf value.

I have some bulk actually open as well as Gawith tins. Which I love so far.

Most american tinned tobacco I don't like. I don't care for the art or the fonts. The tobacco I have yet to try. And will.

Ultimately, that's the most important thing.

I fell prey to this:

JFGermainPlumcake.jpg

I still love that tin. But it was unsmokable... yuck!

Unfortunately this tin like so many others is generic with a paper label now. Is Davidoff the only brand still using painted tins? MacBaren has a paper label now but the outer edge is still painted, so I guess that's half-decent.

While I enjoy the art on some of the tins I buy, it has nothing at all to do with any purchasing decision. Never ever made a choice
based on the tin art.

Some folks buy cigars based on the box art, presentation, or band. I also think this is absurd.

:roll:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":95szxp1c said:
While I enjoy the art on some of the tins I buy, it has nothing at all to do with any purchasing decision. Never ever made a choice based on the tin art.
I haven't either, but based on my experiences with wine labels, it's a good thing I shop for tobacco on line and so can't see the tins 'live' in the store. . . . :oops: