Amphora Original

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
I've been puffing a pouch of the Amphora Original, brown wrapper. I like the packaging. Open the pouch, and it smells like burley, mostly, don't notice anything conspiculously chocolatey. Cut is long ribbons. My preferred way to handle such a cut is to lightly rub it into the shape of the bowl, only smaller, then stuff it gently, letting it expand to fill the bowl, then put a pinch on top, flatten to a light springy top, then put a match to it. That's when the chocolatey topping takes it's cue and continues through maybe two thirds of the bowl. After that it's mostly burley. Lights very easily and it's usually a one match smoke. Burns cool with no bite. Nice choice if you're looking for a bit of chocolate, a short smoke, no need for coaxing, and an ambiance that won't leave the delicate choking. Burns dry and leaves little or no dottle. I've used a Country Gent cob and a stubby tall-bowled Mountbatten Dublin. Three out of five stars IMHO.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. When I first opened the pouch it didn't smell like much and it was kinda damp. I smoked a bowl and it didn't taste like much. I spread it all out to dry an as it dried it smelled like Golden Extra, but stronger and chewier (if that makes sense). Smoked another bowl and it didn't taste at all like it smelled, so I figured it was me and I put it away. Probably about time to dig it back out and have another go.

I've now smoked my way through two pouches of Amphora original and want to add that it shows, for me, a marked preference for a briar that has a wide bowl that is a bit on the shallow side. It likes to be gently rubbed into a loose ball, inserted into the bowl and allowed to expand to fit.  Gently flatten the top then do a minimalist light -- I.e., don't try to suck the light down into the bowl, just light the top. Then smoke slowly and easily. You can get a tasty, sweet, somewhat chocolatey treat out of it, if you don't try to force anything. For me, it's often a one-match smoke in a Stanwell Apache bulldog.

P.S. With temps rising here in Southern New England, Amphora has filled the bill for a light to moderate, sweet, cool, low-maintenance summer smoke.

I'll have to get back to mine. Kinda 'meh' to me on first impression. It's been a while, maybe I've matured.

did they have a yellow amphora? i guess that may have been the one i tried when i first started smoking a pipe in the 60's.

Haven't smoked Amphora since the '60's. IIRC, back then there was Brown, Cream, Green, and Red packaging. The Green was very aromatic. Just couldn't "get into" the stuff. Cavendish just wasn't my "thing' back then!! :cheers: FTRPLT

oldmansmokingpipe":jx8f6972 said:
yeah maybe it was green. the sail was yellow.
I believe the green had a whiskey topping.