An Experiment in Rusticating and Repair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Well, I've had this old burned out and beat up pipe laying around for a couple years now and thought I'd try an experiment. The top of the bowl was pretty damaged from someone banging it on anything to empty it, you know the kind and even the top of the shank had marks as well. That's not the end yet, the bowl was pretty well chard and had small cracks all the way up to the top of the bowl and the bit was well oxidated.
Well first I ground down the top of the bowl about 3/16" to rid the dents and mashed edges, then I got out my Dremel tool. Look out, I haven't a clue but I started right in on it removing fills, dings and scratches along with using a little artist licensee. Re-stained the top of the bowl and added the black to the rustication and put her to the buffer with Caranuba wax. Then I wet sanded the bit well and put it to a buffer with some Jewelers rouge to get'er all nice and smooth and shiny, then to the other buffer for Caranuba wax. Then I looked inside the bowl reminding me why this really was just sitting around this long. It's well chard and cracked to the point of no return. Well, I've heard of using pipe mud (ash and spit) but, that just didn't seem right so I looked around the shop and found some Fireplace Mud, it's used to repair cracks and such in fireplaces and is good up to 2000 degrees. I thought well we'll give it a try, what can hurt, I'm the one smok'en the dad burn thing. So I smeared it in there with a pallet knife and let it set up, sanded it well just leaving what was in the cracks. I think it'll work. And if it don't, I'll let you all know as soon as I'm out of the hospital. So anyway, here it is, my very first attempt at pipe tooling and major repair. Sorry the photos are so dark, the grain is really nice on it.
Experiment1.jpg

Experiment2.jpg

Experiment3.jpg
Experiment5.jpg

Experiment4.jpg

Nice restoration job!

I like the rustication you added to it and the re-staining. Looks great! Enough to give it character, but not overdone.

Not sure about the Fireplace Mud though - make sure you let us know how it turns out after being smoked a few times.

Looks like the rustication is just kinda slowly overtaking the pipe...kinda like a creeper vine or something.

I dig it.

Thank you both very much.
I showed this pipe to a friend of mine before the resto, he was looking for beater pipe he didn't have to be too careful
with and he turned his nose up at it. I think after I've done a few bowls in'er I'll show it to him again and see what he says.

Well done' sir! Very nice indeed. Normally I take issue with exactly that sort of "pitted" partial rustication. On a factory pipe, it's usually confined to a few leaf-shaped spots with no regard to the pipe's lines. Your work here pushes past that. The briar's form is still ignored, but the irregular shapes and somewhat jagged edges give it an organic aesthetic that really works. Like Bowman said, it's like a creeper vine. It also brings to mind an old nautical chart of some distant archipelago. I love how it continues onto the stem. I'm not sure I've seen that done before. Very creative. May I ask what brand of pipe it is? That shape is one of my favorites. I have a Sasienni #5 just like it and a few others. I'm always on the lookout for more. Come to think of it, I've got a beat-up Chippendale 36 like it that could use the same treatment. Time to charge up my Dremel! :D

George, Thank you. It was marked The Pipe Shoppe- Made in London England.
I reckon it's much like our Tinder Box pipes here in the states, made by someone but marked for them. I really like the Micoli pipes done by Robert Burns and that's were the idea styling of the rustication came from.

Fantastic work. Especially how the rustication continues into the stem. Don't mind me if I steal that idea on a pipe or two that need some help. 8)

Kyle Weiss":brjto1u2 said:
Fantastic work. Especially how the rustication continues into the stem. Don't mind me if I steal that idea on a pipe or two that need some help. 8)
Kyle, Thank you but, are you telling me or asking? LOL!

Cartaphilus":wbg82fx2 said:
Kyle, Thank you but, are you telling me or asking? LOL!
Oh, just letting you know out of courtesy. :p Don't worry, I'm far too creative to just directly steal, I'll "borrow," if needed though. :lol:

I'll look like less of a schmuck if I mention it now and people start putting the pieces together. Hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 8)

Well, I'm smoking the first bowl of 5 Brothers in it now without any ill affects except for a very slight taste of whats like those pre-coated bowls. I expect that'll be gone in another bowl or two. Oh, wait a minute, wow, what prrretty culllors dude. Hey, I could get to really like this. :lol!:

That is truly beautiful. :affraid:

I don't suppose you have any before pictures?

Dreadgerbil":1p7aq3bi said:
That is truly beautiful. :affraid:

I don't suppose you have any before pictures?
Thank you Dread, I sure don't, I wish I did because it was truly a wreck of a pipe.

Nice save Cart! I like the way the rustification winds its way onto the stem, well done. The stain also compliments the pipe as well. Enjoy.

Nice job bringing that pipe back to life.

now the obligatory concern,,,,are you sure the ingredients in the fireplace mud are safe to be smoking..,,,

Nice execution!
The rustication makes me think of cracked plaster on the facade of an old building. Italy's full of them...
Great photos too.

idbowman":vcj9lebq said:
(btw, your avatar makes me afraid of the dark)
I know, Harlock's been finding some creepy ones lately, hasn't he?

:cat:

8)

Kyle Weiss":mibuvylr said:
idbowman":mibuvylr said:
(btw, your avatar makes me afraid of the dark)
I know, Harlock's been finding some creepy ones lately, hasn't he?

:cat:

8)
I'm creeped out by the pugilists batting around teats in his signature.

:rabbit:

Thank you all and nothing to be afraid of my avatar, it's just a screaming Mohawk.
And as for the pipe I've had my second bowl this morning. A nice Vanilla Aro that smoke as smooth as silk and NO evidence of any funny after taste this time. So I reckon Fireplace Mud is safe. I doesn't burn so there's nothing to inhale and it set up so fast it didn't have time to leach into the cake or brier. I'm going to fill'er up a few more times during the week. I think I've found a nice pipe for my Aro's.