...and speaking of snuff boxes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use when out and about...as a snuff box? A stuff box? Or what?

I picked up one of these...I discovered when using a Gawith tap box that inserting a flat tool into the tap hole provided a great way to spoon out a measured dose. I plan on carving a wood snuff spoon and trying to fudge a metal one that will work. So I thought this style, with its little tap hole would allow the same thing. 

mrsnuff_turn_tin_big.jpg

I have tried a few and I like the Mr Snuff plastic snuff boxes. They open full at the top to pinch or fill and the have a slide on the side to tap. They work great and are pretty cheap.

Those do look handy.

I scrounged through by pipe gear to come up with some kind of sppon-like thing to use as a snuff scooper and found the following tamper. The flat arm with the rounded end does a very good job. Fold it out, scoop, sniff, fold it back. 

Not sure about dimensions, but if it fits into the round hole on the little box above...I'll be home free.

9941.jpg

I got a couple of small metal cases that have clamping lids and rubber gaskets that fit a tin or so of tobacco.

These guys:

http://www.amazon.com/CVault-Cvault-Storage-Container/dp/B00CYOP2QC

Anyway - I got them to take a tin in a bag, and not have to worry about breaking a jar - and thought they'd help with hydration too.

Turns out they came with a little hydro pack thing and are for pot curing/storage. I didn't give the packs much thought at first, but they have been useful in slowly and gently rehydrating tobaccos in these cans. Brilliant, and clean - no paper towel fiasco, no water spritz, etc.

I was looking into the hydro packs more, as they work two-ways - and discovered a shockingly large range - and, boom - short story long, one for snuff storage:

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/general/

Look down to 84% RH.

These little things are pretty slick, and once I saw a snuff one, I thought maybe it would be a good thing to toss out here.

That looks like a good, but expensive tin...and I guess you were meaning the little Boveda 84% mini things? Those look good. The little 10 for ten bucks size seems right.

------------------

I spent the morning emptying three 10 g plastic tap boxes into the little ink vials I got. A pain, but done is done. Came w handy peel and stick labels. The bad: it took three vials per tap box. The good: the vials are a great pocket size and have very secure screw on lids. Nice in the regard. And at ten for $3 it works out to about a buck per tap box. Even better!

Blackhorse":ehvqj817 said:
That looks like a good, but expensive tin...and I guess you were meaning the little Boveda 84% mini things? Those look good. The little 10 for ten bucks size seems right.

------------------

I spent the morning emptying three 10 g plastic tap boxes into the little ink vials I got. A pain, but done is done. Came w handy peel and stick labels. The bad: it took three vials per tap box. The good: the vials are a great pocket size and have very secure screw on lids. Nice in the regard. And at ten for $3 it works out to about a buck per tap box. Even better!
That story was to get to the Boveda things, yes.

The steel tins and fancy containers are my own fetish that I generally keep to myself. :lol:

Just seeing that box makes me want to start snuffing.

I look forward to your review.

I found it by surfing a 'snuff site' and the guy that had bought one was asked if it was air tight. The guy that bought one claimed he couldn't smell any of his normally stinky snuff when it was closed...but I surely doubt that it's really airtight or waterproof... just tight.

I picked the 'eight doubles' coin cause it was of a good size, I could get my birth year, it reminded me of the boxcars thing and eight seemed like a nice recommended dosage.  lol

I can's stop eyeballing them.

Some of the coins used are so cool, between the country, art, and age.

"Maybe I can fit my vitamins in one."

Holy Crikes those are fantastic!

For a second I thought Lenin on the Soviet 1970 Rouble was Peter Boyle as Frankenstein's Monster. :p

My favorite plastic ones were the snuffhouse.com plastic boxes. The newer Rococo ones are nice enough, but not as nice.

I have one bullet which made me decide bullets are not for me. I also have a snuffmaster, which appears to only want toasts, and a Patrick Collins snuffbox, which is quite nice, but also only for toasts.

What size is the thing? They are OOS right now, and my little clear screw top vials will do til they get back in. I need some smash boxes too, I guess. Just not going to order something so small when shipping is so high.

The first metal one I posted is due today...and I found it on eBay so it had low shipping. I'll most likely pick up a snuff house or Mr snuff (whichever is smaller and some smash boxes as add one next order...April 1.  lol

Blackhorse":40mtyupp said:
What size is the thing? They are OOS right now, and my little clear screw top vials will do til they get back in. I need some smash boxes too, I guess. Just not going to order something so small when shipping is so high.

The first metal one I posted is due today...and I found it on eBay so it had low shipping. I'll most likely pick up a snuff house or Mr snuff (whichever is smaller and some smash boxes as add one next order...April 1.  lol
I'll take a picture later so you can see them with a ruler of something to scale.