...and speaking of snuff boxes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I'm an idiot fer sure. The dimensions are listed right under the photo. It's a nice size, I'm thinkin'.

Size: 2 in. x 1.5 in. x 0.75 in.

shouse_sbox_brown_big.jpg

Get this. I start reading the customer reviews on the coin box thing...all glowing, falling all over themselves with praise...but one said his box wasn't tight. Oops. So I send an email to John (the guy who makes them) and say mine will be a snuff box and has to be tight, and that maybe I should have gotten one with a screw top. He emails back in like five minutes that he's be happy to make the one I ordered into a screw top type...wait for it...AT NO EXTRA CHARGE! How's that?

Then I had a thought. I have some silver US Liberty dollars and quite a few Euro coins, etc. I asked if he could/would make a box if I supplied the coinage. Waiting on that one.

Interesting.

Edit. This just in. John quoted a cost to make me a screw top coin thing, domed lid, using my two US silver dollars...$28 US...not including shipping via either registered or unsecured return to me. Not bad.

No kidding.

I would lose one of those cool looking acorn pill box charms in less than a week.

Quick review on the one that started off the thread:

Yes, it's small...ideally so. Fits unobtrusively in a pocket. I've noticed this keeps the contents nicely warmed. The metal to metal fit is just the proper tolerance for a snug but workable friction fit. Stainless steel, strong, tough. A good wash with warm water and dish soap and a good buffing dry...and she was ready. Popped her apart, covered the hole with a finger and proceeded to fill 'er up with Santo Domingo...then back together and off we go. It's already proven it's worth on several occasions. Heading back from a trip to the PO...slip it out of my pocket when sliding into the car...twist it to open the tap hole...tap a bit onto the back of my hand...a quick sniff, and I'm set. Perfect.

The one I received is a tad different from the one shown. Mine has the Mr Snuff "Rococo" logo etched on it instead of the Asian characters...whatever.

Regardless of graphics this little gem is practical, tough and functional.

mrsnuff_turn_tin_big.jpg

Also...update on the "Coin transformations" Eight Doubles Snuff Box:

I received an email from John, the craftsman, and it has been converted to the screw top design and shipped. Fast work! I'm really looking forward to this one!

il_570xN.520071423_fmlt.jpg" style="width: 300px;height: 300px

Another eval. Got the little aluminum screw top in this afternoon. Upon first inspection I have to declare it a total winner. Beautifully machined, smooth and perfectly finished, threads cut well and function flawlessly, o ring engages the opposite lip with precision...it literally is perfectly made. For me the dimensions (1 1/4" d X 1" h) are excellent.

For just under eight bucks delivered...it would be very hard to beat.

350945078283_1.jpg

I like that last one. For me I like being able to tap out some snuff onto the back of my hand. Having that option is a must for me.

Got the Eight Doubles coin snuff box piece in. Stellar item. Glad I connected w John and he was able to convert one to the threaded screw top design. Good fit, typical mill stamp highly detailed face design (it looks like a coin), even weld...it's all good here.

Concerns re snuff's contact with copper in coin producing toxic snuff (?). I've thought about this and think that a quick swab of the interior with a Q-tip loaded with 100% Acetone to degrease it, followed by either clear nail polish or three coats of polyurethane spar varnish should provide a hard and effective 'protective liner'.

Other aspect of note: it's a tad smaller than expected...fine as a small day carry or 'event box' but be aware of the size issue. This one is 30mm and I certainly wouldn't go any smaller. I'm thinking the perfect coin would be a US dollar in silver.

If you're worried about the copper you could just take it in to be tinned. Lots of high end cooking shops will do that for a very modest charge. I would think that the tin would look and wear better. Just a thought.

Well after having some fresh WoS Cherry Menthol after finishing my old tin I discovered I like it better fresh. Being the cheap bastard I am I broke out my old 35mm film cans. The aluminum ones with the rubber seal for all my new snuff purchases. Not going to let my stuff get stale again.

Finally back at ground zero in the budget cycle. A well packed padded envelope sits on my table, addressed to the UK and containing two Silver US Dollars...a 1922 and a 1923 Lady Liberty. It's ready for the customs form and postage and then it'll be off, on its way to England to be made into a lovely screw top snuff box. I'm aquiver with excitement. :bounce: