Another Iowan checking in

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfly

Reaction score
I'm a retired English teacher and software engineer (educational software and avionics) living in Northeast Iowa.

I've been smoking a pipe off and on (mostly off) since about 1963. I started with drug store aromatics and a few pipe store house blends. I gave up the cigarettes about 15 years ago and (after a year no nicotine except hanging around cigarette smokers just for the second hand smoke) smoked cigars since. But cigars have started to get too expensive (I'm a serious cheapskate) so I ordered a pound of Newminster English Luxus and fell in love. Wondering if there were others out there even better, I ordered a Sutliff English sampler and the Newminster English Oriental. I'm also trying a straight Burley, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Mississippi River (just because I live on the real one). So far all are "not-wasted-money," but nothing has beat the English Luxus, so I' sticking to what I know I like for a while.

My pipes are mostly inexpensive ones (have I mentioned that I'm a serious cheapskate?) that I have picked up over the years: No Names, Medicos, Dr. Grabos, Kawoodies, Careys, and one cheap meerschaum. I did buy a great GBD diplomat from e-bay that smokes even better than my Medicos and looks a hell of a lot better. Thus, I'm watching for GBDs on e-bay and trying to fight off a Pipe Acquisition Disorder infection.

I've been reading this forum for a couple months and am impressed with the intelligence, personable-ness, and downright friendless of the participants. I am pretty much an introvert, so I probably won't contribute as much as some of you, but I've found several topics in which I think my thoughts might be useful.

fishfly":1r7ttfg7 said:
I've been reading this forum for a couple months and am impressed with the intelligence, personable-ness, and downright friendless of the participants.  I am pretty much an introvert, so I probably won't contribute as much as some of you, but I've found several topics in which I think my thoughts might be useful.
I think the majority of us are a bit introverted in real life, that seems to be the case with me anyways. We're glad you are here though, join in the conversations, most of us are harmless...

Welcome to BoB! :D

Nice intro fishfly. We're a pretty friendly group here, so don't be bashful and do join in on the discussions. And no question is too dumb to ask. I know, I've asked many!

And welcome to BoB!

cheers,

RR

Nice to have you here, fishfly. I have an English degree as well and work on air conditioners for a living... The life!