Antler bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazsup

Reaction score
I just purchased an estate Jake Hackert straight Dublin pipe with the bowl made of antler. I think its sharp looking but I don't know if I have to take any special precautions with it for maintenance etc. Do hand oils have any effect like on a meershaum? It looks tough but what effect would the heat of a bowl have on it? I'll try to post a picture but haven't had luck in the past.

Thanks folks! I look forward to hearing any thoughts you may have.

I know I use photobucket, upload the pic to them, then copy the IMG code and paste it in here.

Use this:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t3090-how-to-post-pictures-in-the-forum

I actually couldn't imagine smoking out of antler. You ever smelt burning antler? It's like burning hair. I always thought they were more of a novelty than a real smoking instrument but I could very well be wrong.

Deer antler is actual bone as opposed to animals with horns, which are keratin (sorta like fingernails). Bone is somewhat resistant to heat in that it is not very likely to ignite or burn like wood, but can scorch and can be burnt if you can get it hot enough. What this all means is...I have no idea. Lol.

If I had to guess, I would bet that you could actually smoke it, but I would be careful not to get it too hot and be extra careful where you apply flame and for how long.

Quick reaction from 2 bowls. I didn't notice much difference from a taste standpoint. The bowl didn't feel hot to the touch (no more so than any other pipe I own anyway). It is a little heavy thought. I think it's even cooler looking in real life then the photo when I bought it.

jhuggett":ls2sq98c said:
I actually couldn't imagine smoking out of antler. You ever smelt burning antler? It's like burning hair. I always thought they were more of a novelty than a real smoking instrument but I could very well be wrong.
i have to agree with mr jhugget. i do alot of work with antler for knife handles and what not and i really wouldnt trust smoking it. I always wear a mask when cuttin the antler cause the dust can really mess you up. It is a great lookin pipe though. I would love just to sit in my rack. Just my 2 cents though. :D

Didn't native americans use bone,antler,and wood to make their pipes? I am thinking you would be ok.

Natch":t2id8qrg said:
More pipestone (a rather dense sandstone) at least the Plains Indians traded in pipestone extensively.Natch

Yeah, I used to get pipestoned too,,,,,, many moon ago,,,,

I have no idea about antler pipes but it looks cool! Kinda jealous. :D

Very cool pipe! Does the bowl have an insert of any kind? Richard Seyfried's Elksong pipes are made of antler with a briar insert; sorry for the poor scan. I love the two in the middle of the page and hope to own one some day!

CCF01172011_00000.jpg

bazsup":plxv2roj said:
That is a beautiful looking pipe. I don't know anything about the properties of antler or the details of smoking out of it, but I do know that I want a pipe like that some day!