Any blenders give people problems?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny....All this talk about Pease and he's nowhere to be found. I guess the program he has on his computer that scans all forums for the word "Pease", must be on the fritz.......or he's just ignoring all of ya! :p

Oh, MaCBAREN! I always thought it was spelled MaCBITE :twisted: :twisted:

DoverPipes":7ybnl7de said:
It's funny....All this talk about Pease and he's nowhere to be found. I guess the program he has on his computer that scans all forums for the word "Pease", must be on the fritz.......or he's just ignoring all of ya! :p
You mean he doesn't have a weird spidey sense, that "tingles" when we talk about him?

I think that computer program has a Kyle detector built into it too. When he first created it he was calling it a Bullshit Detector, but as of late he's been referring to it as the Kyle Detector.

Puff Daddy nailed it. He only calls me from seedy pay phones in the Tenderloin, anyway. At least I'm good for something. :lol!:

Butera Pelican - Balkan blend. I love the taste but it beats the crap out of my mouth every time.

Balkan Saseini - Balkan blend. Beat me up good too

I also have problems with GLP blends. To date the only one that hasn't bite me badly has been Chelsea Morning. All the others, while tasting good, beat me up. There must be a common thread in them that keeps getting me.

Stogiegila":xahhdhp6 said:
Butera Pelican - Balkan blend. I love the taste but it beats the crap out of my mouth every time.

I also have problems with GLP blends. To date the only one that hasn't bite me badly has been Chelsea Morning. All the others, while tasting good, beat me up. There must be a common thread in them that keeps getting me.
Not to sound like a haughty jerk, but it could be lack of overall smoking poise and experience. 8) All the things you list are quality tobaccos by a long-shot. Obviously Perique isn't an issue if you don't mind Chelsea Morning. Perique chemically does not get along with my tongue. Never has, probably never will. If you figure out the right pace for you, and aren't puffing all over the map with different pipes, tobaccos and other variables, you'll figure out what you don't like rather than possibly just killing your senses with heat, steam and wild combustion chemistry.

I know squat about cigars, by example...but I learned slowing down on narrower ring-gauges really helps bloom the flavor from a stogie. Some of the better narrower sticks I've smoked actually were more compressed with a tighter draw which helped a novice like me slow it down a bit. I think it was a Patel "1964" Corona... :scratch:

Anyway, point is, if it ain't workin' out with a pipe and a 'bacca combo, there's more of a learning curve--don't always figure it's the tobacco's fault. Not at first, anyway. There's plenty of time to build a "hate list." :lol: Meanwhile, find what works, rinse and repeat.

Kyle Weiss":tzkqz276 said:
Stogiegila":tzkqz276 said:

Not to sound like a haughty jerk, but it could be lack of overall smoking poise and experience. 8) All the things you list are quality tobaccos by a long-shot. Obviously Perique isn't an issue if you don't mind Chelsea Morning. Perique chemically does not get along with my tongue. Never has, probably never will. If you figure out the right pace for you, and aren't puffing all over the map with different pipes, tobaccos and other variables, you'll figure out what you don't like rather than possibly just killing your senses with heat, steam and wild combustion chemistry.

I know squat about cigars, by example...but I learned slowing down on narrower ring-gauges really helps bloom the flavor from a stogie. Some of the better narrower sticks I've smoked actually were more compressed with a tighter draw which helped a novice like me slow it down a bit. I think it was a Patel "1964" Corona... :scratch:

Anyway, point is, if it ain't workin' out with a pipe and a 'bacca combo, there's more of a learning curve--don't always figure it's the tobacco's fault. Not at first, anyway. There's plenty of time to build a "hate list." :lol: Meanwhile, find what works, rinse and repeat.
Kyle,

I totally understand what you are saying and agree with you. While my technique has improved, there are blends that I can currently smoke without issue (right now Escudo, Old Dublin, Chelsea Morning). But it seems that the Butera blend and most of Pease's blends light me up. I'm wondering if I have an issue with certain Oriental tobacco. Most of my GLP issues were earlier on and i've since shied away from them.

Once I get more into a consistent groove I may go back and try a couple. But now i'm looking more into Vapers and blends I haven't tried before.

Stogiegila":jdt0wqjl said:
Kyle,

I totally understand what you are saying and agree with you. While my technique has improved, there are blends that I can currently smoke without issue (right now Escudo, Old Dublin, Chelsea Morning). But it seems that the Butera blend and most of Pease's blends light me up. I'm wondering if I have an issue with certain Oriental tobacco. Most of my GLP issues were earlier on and i've since shied away from them.

Once I get more into a consistent groove I may go back and try a couple. But now i'm looking more into Vapers and blends I haven't tried before.
Could be the Orientals, but I'm with ya, you might simply need to return to them at some point. C&D/Pease stuff uses only the best. Good luck. 8)

I was actually wondering about this the other day. It seems GLP Va blends and I don't always play nice. I love anything Pease puts out with Latakia in it, but the Virginias all leave me with the slightest tongue bite, right down the center of my tongue. I also find myself chasing something that comes through in the tin note and room note, but not in the flavor of the smoke. The two biggest offenders that come to mind are Haddos and Embarcadero. And to answer the next question, I have smoked both old (thanks Shane!) and young samples of each.

That's why I was wondering about Rattray's other VA blends. I love HOTW but no matter the pipe, the pack or the puff... immediate tongue bite which makes me think chemical reaction. I'm thinking it could be a topping or casing. I assume some blenders probably have a "signature" casing or process which may effect multiple blends.

Perique does a job on me too but it's supposed to be almost nonexistent in HOTW. Latakia and Orientals are fine though.

I'm sure experience and acclimation plays a part.

Not exactly on point, but, C & D's Blockade Runner doesn't sit well with me. In fact I disliked so much I haven't tried ANY other C & D blend and have only smoked GLP & Frog.

It's all relative, and chemistry. Greg's (and by extension, C&D's) Virginia and/or Latakia sources are right up my alley. They just work. *shrug*

Interesting thoughts on Rattray's, especially HOTW...I love Old Gowrie and HOTW, but almost everything else is either "meh" these days (Black Mallory, Brown Clunee) or is downright gross (Marlin Flake, Red Rapparee--RR is like gargling razor blades). I'm hesitant to try anything else Rattray's puts out.

One thing I've noticed as I've progressed through tobaccos is the stronger something is, the less it gives me other problems. Same goes for simplicity--less stuff involved, less issues. Gathering (seemingly) more simple blends and mixtures has also helped tremendously find offending components from certain blenders, so it was easier to avoid.

Then there's Mac Baren, which has a better track record with my tongue than others...and they tend to shred the tongues of others more often than not.

Thank goodness for choices, eh?

Haddos bit me good, embacardero too but not as much
Embarcadero's one tobac you've gotta treat like a lady.

If you do, she'll be one. If you don't, she can make you sorry you ever met her.

:face:

Yak":w9q4s8lt said:
Haddos bit me good, embacardero too but not as much
Embarcadero's one tobac you've gotta treat like a lady.

If you do, she'll be one. If you don't, she can make you sorry you ever met her.

:face:
...maybe I never pushed her too much...got her fussy a few times, folded her arms in a huff and wouldn't budge when I rushed her a tad, but never turned into a raving demonwench. *shrug*