Any Carter Hall lovers or haters?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiemike

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to trying this blend for so long but in saying that I bought a tub of it about a year ago, and didn't try it until I received my 2nd tub recently.
I wanted the tub for my tin collection thats done. I was on the fence for neither liking it or disliking it.

This is the legends(JIMs) thoughts I got from another source hope its ok to post mate.

In 1976, I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. In 2012, I decided to try it again. The burleys are nutty, woody, earthy, and bready with a touch of cocoa. They are the lead components. The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is in the background. The toppings are mild chocolate, a little molasses, and light bourbon, and mildly tone down the tobaccos. The toppings do weaken a tad around the last quarter of the experience, and the natural tobacco flavors become more obvious. The one drawback is that with the lessening of the topping, you can experience a cigarette note or two if you puff fast. The strength, taste and nic-hit levels are mild. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does sport a few small rough edges. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and evenly. Packs very easily, with a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. It's easily an all day smoke. It goes well with any drink you choose. Three stars.

UPDATE 6-2022: This blend is currently made in the Dominican Republic and there are some differences between it and the old Carter Hall. The chocolate and bourbon are a little stronger now, so you won’t notice the expected nutty quality of the burleys quite as much. The effect of the molasses is lighter as a result even though the chocolate isn’t as rich in flavor as the earlier production. However, the toppings do lightly weaken after the half way point, and the familiar, though mildly rougher and savory nutty, earthy, woody burley notes light rise to your taste buds. So does a slight sourness. The Virginia is reduced in status a mite. The toppings have a very small chemical note as they help create a smoother, mildly less tobacco forward version of the old CH. There’s still a chance of a cigarette note due to fast puffing after the half way mark. The strength and taste are a couple steps past the mild mark. The nic-hit is a notch behind them. All of the other aspects of the original that I noted in the first paragraph still apply. This manufacture is a two star blend, and my Tobacco Review site rating reflects Carter Hall’s latest version.

Cross cut burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake.

Notes: Carter Hall has been providing a straightforward and enjoyable smoking blend at an affordable price since 1895 by keeping things simple: ribbon-cut Virginia and burley leaf of good quality, combined in the right proportions.

It was a bit disappointing at first but the more I smoke it the more I am enjoying it. It smokes so cool and clean the way I smoke it.
Whould this be the blend you would recommend to people that want a mellow aromatic?
I would love to hear the brothers comments on this brew.

I haven't got any genuine CH, just the match blend from P&C.com, with which I have not been impressed yet. I only ever see tubs for sale, and I won't spring for that just to try it. Anyone know where pouches of this are still available, or are CH pouches not a thing anymore?
I did a quick search at the main US shops and it's either out of stock or only the 14oz tub is offered. You can get it in bulk, though.

As for the OP's question, I have tried CH a few times and, like him, I don't like it but I don't dislike it either. I would reach for something else than it if I had a few tins opened.
A big plus for it is I find its tub aroma to be much better than Prince Albert, Velvet and Granger.

I some times get caught up chasing the premium blends found on tobacco review websites, but then remember the joy and excitement I remember as a kid smelling the codger blends the old timers smoked which drew me to pipe smoking as I got older,Half&Half ,Prince Albert , Carter Hall, for me that brings back the memories I keep with me every time I light up!

I was really looking forward to trying this blend for so long but in saying that I bought a tub of it about a year ago, and didn't try it until I received my 2nd tub recently.
I wanted the tub for my tin collection thats done. I was on the fence for neither liking it or disliking it.

This is the legends(JIMs) thoughts I got from another source hope its ok to post mate.

In 1976, I tried this blend and hated it. I wasn't ready for burley blends. Except for my occasional SWRA forays, my reluctance for smoking OTCs since then was hard to break. In 2012, I decided to try it again. The burleys are nutty, woody, earthy, and bready with a touch of cocoa. They are the lead components. The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is in the background. The toppings are mild chocolate, a little molasses, and light bourbon, and mildly tone down the tobaccos. The toppings do weaken a tad around the last quarter of the experience, and the natural tobacco flavors become more obvious. The one drawback is that with the lessening of the topping, you can experience a cigarette note or two if you puff fast. The strength, taste and nic-hit levels are mild. Won't bite or get harsh, though it does sport a few small rough edges. It burns at a moderate pace, cool and evenly. Packs very easily, with a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. Leaves just a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. It's easily an all day smoke. It goes well with any drink you choose. Three stars.

UPDATE 6-2022: This blend is currently made in the Dominican Republic and there are some differences between it and the old Carter Hall. The chocolate and bourbon are a little stronger now, so you won’t notice the expected nutty quality of the burleys quite as much. The effect of the molasses is lighter as a result even though the chocolate isn’t as rich in flavor as the earlier production. However, the toppings do lightly weaken after the half way point, and the familiar, though mildly rougher and savory nutty, earthy, woody burley notes light rise to your taste buds. So does a slight sourness. The Virginia is reduced in status a mite. The toppings have a very small chemical note as they help create a smoother, mildly less tobacco forward version of the old CH. There’s still a chance of a cigarette note due to fast puffing after the half way mark. The strength and taste are a couple steps past the mild mark. The nic-hit is a notch behind them. All of the other aspects of the original that I noted in the first paragraph still apply. This manufacture is a two star blend, and my Tobacco Review site rating reflects Carter Hall’s latest version.

Cross cut burleys with a sprinkling of Virginia flake.

Notes: Carter Hall has been providing a straightforward and enjoyable smoking blend at an affordable price since 1895 by keeping things simple: ribbon-cut Virginia and burley leaf of good quality, combined in the right proportions.

It was a bit disappointing at first but the more I smoke it the more I am enjoying it. It smokes so cool and clean the way I smoke it.
Whould this be the blend you would recommend to people that want a mellow aromatic?
I would love to hear the brothers comments on this brew.
I don't dislike it, but Prince Albert and especially Granger is my goto Codger. WCC Stubbs Pipe is a great codger type, and I bet WCC American Cut Plug is good. It will be on my next order. BTW, I can get CH and PA at a local shop in the plastic tubs.

I too went thru a "I don't like codger/OTC blends (especially Burley blends!)" phase way back when. However, in my "vintage" years my taste buds truly enjoy several of them. Granger, Larus Bros. Edgeworth Sliced, CH, PA, Walnut, and Barking Dog are among my absolute favs. I accumulated considerable amounts of all over the years; doubt I ever buy more of those available. FTRPLT

I can honestly say I have never tried it, or Prince Albert, or half a dosen other storied codger blends. I recently ordered some Half and Half, I had a packet of it 25 years ago, it was the only pipe tobacco I could find in Niihama, I taught English in Japan for a brief period. I thought I'd try it again and I may include a codger blend of one type or another in all my future weed purchases. I've put CH next on the list, PA to follow.

Excuse me, sir? Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

Then let him out!

I don't dislike it, but Prince Albert and especially Granger is my goto Codger. WCC Stubbs Pipe is a great codger type, and I bet WCC American Cut Plug is good. It will be on my next order. BTW, I can get CH and PA at a local shop in the plastic tubs.
I get the reluctance toward blind-buying a full tub of a tobacco, but I'm tempted in the case of Granger since it was my Grandpap's tobacco of choice.

Last edited:
I get the reluctance toward blind-buying a full tub ofa tobacco, but I'm tempted in the case of Granger sine it was my Grandpap's tobacco of choice.
I'm the same way. Try WV Smokeshop, as they helpfully offer 1 oz bags of various tobaccos. That's how I learned I like Granger.
https://wvsmokeshop.com/grangertin.aspx