Any difference: Rattray 100 g cans versus the new 50 g tins?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I have noticed that Rattray is now offering 5 of their blends (Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie, Red Rapparee, Black Mallory, and Reserve 7) in 50 gram tins. Is there any difference in the tobacco (such as ready-rubbed versus flake) between the 50 gram tins and the 100 gram cans other than the quantity?

This has been the case for quite a few years now. I do not know when Kohlhase & Kopp started doing it, but it has certainly been for some time. I have seen 50g. tins of J. Russell distributed K&K made Rattray's tins, so they have been available in the US market in this form since at least the late 1990s. The only difference that I have noticed is that the 50g. tins contain 50% less tobacco than the 100g. cans. Hope that helps.

Quote "The only difference that I have noticed is that the 50g. tins contain 50% less tobacco than the 100g. cans. Hope that helps."

Kap you beat me to it! :lol:

RonA3597":sgdphd9s said:
Quote "The only difference that I have noticed is that the 50g. tins contain 50% less tobacco than the 100g. cans. Hope that helps."

Kap you beat me to it! :lol:
Could not help it, sorry! A good question, though - just being incorrigible.

I have noticed that the 50 gram tins don't last as long as the 100 gram tin.
Stan

I figured that there was 50% less tobacco in the 50 g tins than the 100 g cans. I have never seen the 50 g tins available until just recently when PIPES&CIGARS.COM announced that they are now carrying the 50 g tins. So I assumed that these 50 g tins were something newly introduced. I was actually thinking along the lines of Edgeworth. Originally, Edgeworth Slices that was supplied in flake form (100 g tin) whereas Edgeworth nowadays is supplied in a ready-rubbed form (12 oz cans). Before PIPES&CIGARS.COM announcement, I have only seen Rattrays products supplied in 100 g cans. This was the first time I saw Rattrays in 50 g tins.

I've always been reluctant to try Rattray tobacco due to the cost of 100g tins...Sure hate to buy something I didn't like an still have 100g of it...maybe with 50g tins I'll finally try them :cheers:

HOTW is one of my favorites. I love the 100g tins.
I always get 'em at JR - $13.50 a tin shipped.
(I bet the 50g tins won't be selling for 6.75)

Buddy Springman":5rjv3wwx said:
You can get it in bulk at Mars. But $70/500 gms is pretty steep.

Buddy
Yea. Did you all notice about a few years back (?) Rattray's was one of the first bulks to jump up notably in price? I recall them being the first (at least of the bulks I smoke frequently) to break the $55 and then $60 per half-kilo price barrier. Haven't bought any of their bulk for about five years now (but have a good supply laid in from earlier in the decade :D ) and include a 100 gram tin to top off an order from time to time.

Overall, I think they work with Virginian as well as any blender out there, and better than most. A week doesn't go by that I have at least one bow of OG or MF.

Natch