Any experience with 4 Nog blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried three 4noggins blends, and enjoyed each:

Bald Headed Teacher: One of the best american english blends on the market. The latakia doesn't bury the burley, but works great with it.

Essence of Vermont: burley and perique with a light, tastefully applied maple casing that works with, rather than buries the tobacco flavors. It's one of my favorites and among the more unique blends on the market.

3 Blind Moose: An unapologetic, but high quality caramel aromatic

I don't know how close Painter Hills comes to either of the old versions of Revelation, but judged on its own it's an excellent semi-aromatic. Bakerstreet USA is an excellent 'American English' (Burley, VA, Oriental, light Lat). I would say, if the description of any of their blends appeals to you, any 4Noggins mix is worth a try.

Prairie Wind was ok, but not my favorite VaPer. If you're looking for 4noggins blends, I think you're better off with either Alamosa or Weybridge (Wey. has burley in it, as well, in case that's a turn off). John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke is also a pretty solid VaPer available through 4nog too.

Thanks for the suggestions brothers. I'm well familiar with Cool Hand Fluke and really enjoy it.

Might get in a sampling of some of Rich's blends next order to see what they have to offer though.

I'll stick to his VA/VaPer blends since that's two of my favorite categories. I'm not much on aros though.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":a3xfrs2h said:
Thanks for the suggestions brothers. I'm well familiar with Cool Hand Fluke and really enjoy it.

Might get in a sampling of some of Rich's blends next order to see what they have to offer though.

I'll stick to his VA/VaPer blends since that's two of my favorite categories. I'm not much on aros though.

Cheers,

RR
Brewdude, have you tried P&C's Rolando's Own?

It's a pretty good Vaper blend. The spice is pretty forward in it. Kinda sweet, pretty well behaved.

Natch":r9951ug2 said:
If you can hold off on ordering for a week or so, I'll send you a sample. I've got your address.

Natch

Right neighborly of you brother. Gracias.

DrumsAndBeer":r9951ug2 said:
Brewdude, have you tried P&C's Rolando's Own?

It's a pretty good Vaper blend. The spice is pretty forward in it. Kinda sweet, pretty well behaved.

No, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

RR

I've not had much experience with their private blends. However, the 2 I have tried had completely opposite reactions. I rec'd a sample of Painter Hills with my last order. Since I've been smoking primarily English blends for many years, was excited to try it. Lit up the first bowl, got about 3 minutes into it and had to quit. Something in it just didn't sit well with me. Thought it was the worst tasting blend I've ever tried. Decided to try it again a couple nights later; same result. Don't know what it is, but I just don't like the flavor.

Now the other blend, Bald Headed Teacher... Holy Cow! Quickly became one of my favorite blends. Now have a pound in the cellar, and a big jar full! Again, I'm an English/Balkan smoker on a regular basis, and, while some may characterize this as an English, it is too much Burley for me to do that. It is an extremely wonderful blend, and I enjoy it as a break from Westminster, Frog Morton, FMOTT, Nightcap, MM965, and the others that constitute my regular diet.

Rich makes some wonderful blends. If you like Englishes you should try his "El Rincon de la Pipa #1" which has IMHO the same taste as Balkan Sasieni, save the cut ( not a fine small ribbon shag ) :pirate:

I just tried the Essence of Vermont. I really liked it. It had a nice maple/brown sugar hint to it without being overly syrupy or sweet. The Burly was just right and I didn't pick up any Perique. Room note was outstanding.

I liked it better than Autumn Evening, but they are both worth checking out if you're into the maple aromatics. (I'm using aromatics lightly, as I think both tobacco's give much more flavor than typical aromatics). GREAT fall tobaccos!

LPcreation":aok6xjcu said:
I just tried the Essence of Vermont. I really liked it. It had a nice maple/brown sugar hint to it without being overly syrupy or sweet. The Burly was just right and I didn't pick up any Perique. Room note was outstanding.

I liked it better than Autumn Evening, but they are both worth checking out if you're into the maple aromatics. (I'm using aromatics lightly, as I think both tobacco's give much more flavor than typical aromatics). GREAT fall tobaccos!
Sounds nice. Have you had P&W's Vermont Maple? It is the only maple aromatic I have tried so far and I was wondering how these compare to it. I may have to place a small order soon and give these a try.

Simple Man":1f606lz9 said:
Sounds nice. Have you had P&W's Vermont Maple? It is the only maple aromatic I have tried so far and I was wondering how these compare to it. I may have to place a small order soon and give these a try.
EOV and VM are very different. Both use the maple more sparingly than heavier aromatics I've had, but while P&W's maple has a high cavendish content, Essence of Vermont is burley and perique for one of the more unique tobacco flavors I've sampled.

Storm_Crow":o3vysx17 said:
Simple Man":o3vysx17 said:
They're two blends are very different. Both use the maple more sparingly than heavier aromatics I've had, but while P&W's maple has a high cavendish content, Essence of Vermont is burley and perique for one of the more unique tobacco flavors I've sampled.
Thanks for the response, Storm Crow. :D