Any Ham Radio Operators?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I launch High Power Rockets and to be able to buy the telemetry device used for tracking the rockets once you lose sight of them, you have to have a HAM license.  So I ended up studying for all 3 tests, passed the first two at our local HAMFEST, and missed out on the Extra Class by 3 questions.  I then got talked into going to the Dayton, Ohio Hamvention a couple of months ago and then took the Extra Class test there and passed, missing only one question.  My brother in law has been a HAM for 40+ years and has talked to 364 countries (has 3 left to go).  He just sent me a Kenwood handheld dual-band radio but I have no idea how to use it, so I'll have to get with one of our local guys in the club to show me how to operate the thing.

Marty
KK4PIQ

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just wanted to check in.  Im K7TUX and have been licensed since 2009.  Im General Class and have a Kenwood TS-440 SAT with a double G5RV about 40 ft up the whole length.  I also run 2m/440cm/6m/10m quad band Yaesu in my truck.  My wife is also a ham.  I hope to actually have a true hamshack built this summer so that I can work the air and smoke my pipe at the same time.  Currently my rig is in the guest bedroom.  Glad to see several hams here on the site.  Maybe we can have a pipe & Ragchew net sometime.  I work all bands that I can as well as some digital.

73's

Hi d4klutz, thanx for checking in. Good idea about trying a ragchew net. I can work 80 through 10 meters, but I spend most of my time on 80.  My station is mostly boatanchor equipment, but I have an Icom IC-756PROII that I run on SSB.  My antenna couldn't be simpler: it's an all-band dipole fed with 450 Ohm line (a center-fed Zepp). I don't run any digital modes or CW, only AM & SSB.  I've been licensed since 1969.

BTW, I changed back to my original call last month.  I'm now WA2MER once again.

Jim

Kc5shh..all my radios were stolden..but thats another story
Hope to get back on witha 2M nas 10 M soon..can hide those antennas pretty well in the trailer park 73s

Thought I'd revive an old thread.  Since I was on here 2 years ago, I have gotten more involved with the hobby and attend weekly meetings with our local club every Thursday evening.  I did finally get a Kenwood 281A mobile unit for the Suburban, and a Kenwood TS-2000 but don't have the HF rig up yet.

and got new vanity call sign too

W4SEX