Any suggestions on aromatic tobacco to try

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveAMnTX

Reaction score
I have tried 1-Q and Tobacco Road's Roadhouse (local B&M house blend), which is similar to 1-Q but with a champagne like aroma as well. I really enjoy the flavor of both of these but looking to try out other blends, possibly coffee flavored or chocolate. I have also tried some of the old tobacco I found with "Dad's old pipe" which was labeled on the bag as Toasted Cavendish 2 oz & Golden Virginia 2oz. I re-hydrated some of that & although it is probably not as flavorful as it originally was it's pretty good. I don't know if that mix is considered an aromatic or if it's a blend that is something else & they just labeled the contents. I have yet to try buying tobacco online & have checked out a few B&M's in the area but most have mostly cigars with some pipe tobacco selections. I will be checking out another soon on recommendation of a brother on here that said they have a better bulk selection & lower prices than the trendier ones I looked at already.

Thanks in advance & looking forward to starting my TAD! lol

12am

The problem with many aromatics is that the tobaccos used are often pretty crummy and they are usually heavily sauced and loaded with preservative. End result, an initial blast of whatever flavor topping was added followed by a not very good tasting pipe. There are a few exceptions though.

If you like the Captain Black type flavor profile, try Lane Ltd RLP-6. It's basically Captain Black but not overly preserved with PG and the tobacco base tastes pretty decent. Dry it out a bit before smoking.

Often the American aromatics appeal to smokers who haven't developed a taste for tobacco. If you actually like good deep rich tobacco with an aromatic note, there are a couple of good options. The very best I've tried, and the one I smoke regularly, is Gawith and Hoggarth Black and Brown. Tastes like very, very good tobacco, the black cavendish is richly flavored with molasses and it is only slightly sweet, like someone sprinkled a little sugar over it. It's wonderful. Worth smoking also is GL Pease Barbary Coast, rich dark cube cut burley with red virginia and topped with brandy. McClelland Fragrant Matured cake (fmc2000) is a simple virginia flake topped with maple, very delicious. With these three, smoke slowly and patiently, sipping your pipe rather than puffing up great clouds of smoke, and you will be rewarded greatly :)

+1 to everything PD said, and I'd add that C&D Autumn Evening is a nice Maple aromatic with solid tobacco underneath, as well (like the others, smoking it slowly allows the topping to last through the whole bowl).

See the above posts.  

thumb210.jpg
" />

Carole Burns at Pipeworks and Wilke has very good arms and the tobacco is high quality. I recently tried Uhley's Irish Aromatic which has a little lat in it and reminded me of the old Houuse of Windsor blends.

the only true Aro that I truly enjoy is Dan's Milonga. A nice smooth caramel/vanilla flavored Va based blend/mixture which allows the quality of the Va's to be present also. It's not goopy nor does it bite and smokes cool and dry to a nice grey ash.

I'm a fan of CAO Black, it's chocolate and raspberry, but not overloweringly chocolaty like SPS honey and chocolate which will actually hurt your teeth with the sweetness

Not generally an aro guy here, but I do enjoy a bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake and/or The Mayor's Chocolate Flake on a frequent basis. I do use my COBs, Maples, and Cherrywoods when smoking these :cheers: FTRPLT

I highly recommend 4Noggins Trout Stream. It is without a doubt the best aromatic I've smoked. No problems with goop or tongue bite. It also mixes well with other blends when you want to add a little sweetness to your smoke. Try it! I don't think you'll be disappointed. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. :)

AJ

When you hit Tobacco Cabana look at their bottom shelf. Most of that shelf ar aro's from a German company that advertises in Pipes and Tobaccos Mag whose name I forget. Better grade of tobacco than most aro's. Also ask if they have any Christmas blend left. This is a shop blend with cigar leaf mixed in with pipe tobaccos and is an aro that changes up some as you smoke it.

For a half Aro half english kitchen sink blend try Hearth and Home Mazatec. You will have to order that one from Pipes and Cigars or hit me up at the event July 25 for a sample.

If you're after a 'transition' aro that's a half way house between an aro and something a bit more traditional, you may wish to try Fire Dance Flake from the Samuel Gawith stable. It's a blend of Vas with 'the flavour of blackberries, brandy and vanilla'. It smells superb in the tin and the flavours pervade into the smoke, whilst having the sweet grassy undertones of the Vas. A fine gent called Rande, aka Brewdude, put me on to it a year or so ago and I've always had a tin on hand since; in fact I had a bowl only 2 nights ago. Perhaps worth a look...

I'm usually not a fan of aromatics at all, for most of the reasons Puff mentioned. However, Dunhill Royal Yacht in a cob has been one of my favorites for years. It seems to agree with my chemistry, and I like the nic level it delivers.

If you are nicotine sensitive, the first time you try it, you might want to make sure you have a place to lay down with a fan nearby. :lol:

Not normally an Aro person either but I usually have a stash of C&D's "Berry Good" laying about. Great tobacco with this delicious little hint of sweet berries and just enough strength to satisfy.

Dutch":hq9u4tes said:
If you are nicotine sensitive, the first time you try it, you might want to make sure you have a place to lay down with a fan nearby. :lol:
LOL! Exactly the reason it's in my rotation! I love Saturday morning before the coffee is done brewing, sittin in my patio chair, a couple of puffs and consciousness actually comes into question.

Puff Daddy":5g76fsac said:
The problem with many aromatics is that the tobaccos used are often pretty crummy and they are usually heavily sauced and loaded with preservative. End result, an initial blast of whatever flavor topping was added followed by a not very good tasting pipe. There are a few exceptions though.

If you like the Captain Black type flavor profile, try Lane Ltd RLP-6. It's basically Captain Black but not overly preserved with PG and the tobacco base tastes pretty decent. Dry it out a bit before smoking.

Often the American aromatics appeal to smokers who haven't developed a taste for tobacco. If you actually like good deep rich tobacco with an aromatic note, there are a couple of good options. The very best I've tried, and the one I smoke regularly, is Gawith and Hoggarth Black and Brown. Tastes like very, very good tobacco, the black cavendish is richly flavored with molasses and it is only slightly sweet, like someone sprinkled a little sugar over it. It's wonderful. Worth smoking also is GL Pease Barbary Coast, rich dark cube cut burley with red virginia and topped with brandy. McClelland Fragrant Matured cake (fmc2000) is a simple virginia flake topped with maple, very delicious. With these three, smoke slowly and patiently, sipping your pipe rather than puffing up great clouds of smoke, and you will be rewarded greatly :)
Thanks for the tobacco suggestions & reminding me to smoke slowly Puff Daddy. I definitely will add these to my list.
Lane Ltd RLP-6
Gawith and Hoggarth Black and Brown
GL Pease Barbary Coast
McClelland Fragrant Matured cake (fmc2000)

Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday. A B&M called Just for Him sells it in bulk. It is pretty dry too. They ship.

Newminster Optimal Choice. Inexpensive, very nice stuff. Bulk.

Mac Baren Modern Virginia. Tinned. Reasonably priced, light and tasty.

idbowman":ac4ccd2t said:
+1 to everything PD said, and I'd add that C&D Autumn Evening is a nice Maple aromatic with solid tobacco underneath, as well (like the others, smoking it slowly allows the topping to last through the whole bowl).

Thanks for the suggestion idbowman I wasn't thinking about maple until now & thanks to Richard Burley for agreeing with the others. lol

The list grows:
Lane Ltd RLP-6
GL Pease Barbary Coast
C&D Autumn Evening

Thanks for the suggestions Kevin M, monbla256, jonnylaw13, ftrplt, & ajn for the generous offer of a sample

The list grows:
Lane Ltd RLP-6
GL Pease Barbary Coast
C&D Autumn Evening
Uhley's Irish Aromatic
Dan's Milonga
CAO Black
Bob's Chocolate Flake
The Mayor's Chocolate Flake
Trout Stream

stapf":16v370ap said:
When you hit Tobacco Cabana look at their bottom shelf.  Most of that shelf ar aro's from a German company that advertises in Pipes and Tobaccos Mag whose name I forget.  Better grade of tobacco than most aro's.  Also ask if they have any Christmas blend left.  This is a shop blend with cigar leaf mixed in with pipe tobaccos and is an aro that changes up some as you smoke it.

For a half Aro half english kitchen sink blend try Hearth and Home Mazatec.  You will have to order that one from Pipes and Cigars or hit me up at the event July 25 for a sample.

Thanks for the suggestions stapf, they sound interesting!

Thanks Stick - SG's Fire Dance Flake sounds interesting

Thanks Dutch - Dunhill Royal Yacht sounds like what I've heard people say about FiveBrothers & I've been wanting to try that!

Thanks Scot's - C & D Berry Good sounds as described lol

Thanks Ozark - Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday, Newminster Optimal Choice, & Mac Baren Modern Virginia all sound pretty good

I stopped making the list on here after realizing I can just sign up at Tobacco Reviews & make a wishlist. :fpalm:

Thanks again for all the suggestions, it'll probably take years to try them all. lol

I haven't ordered any tobacco online yet, I usually just get it somewhere at a B&M. I don't understand the whole tax thing & heard that some online retailers don't charge tax but you can still get a bill from the state. I have seen a couple that charge Texas state tax but still haven't decided if ordering online is something I want to do.