Anyone a "prepper"? (At least well prepared?)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaydeG

Reaction score
Feel free to move this if this isn't the right forum.

I'm interested in prepping - not necessarily for a "doomsday event" but more along the lines of natural disasters. I'm putting together an emergency bag and have begun with a Coast 200 lumen LED light, a KBAR knife, a fairly extensive first aid kit, water purification system, a small camp stove. The Red Cross also recommends three days worth of food (x3 of us) and a liter of water per day. I'm debating on an inverter or generator.

My weapon(s) of choice are my Remmington 870, an SOG tactical axe/tomahawk (paired with my KBAR) and a hand gun TBD. I'm thinking of a Beretta Px4 subcompact.
What are you guys (and gals) doing in an emergency?

Got two BOB's (bug out bags), shotguns, pistols, ammo for both types of guns, food, water.....but nothing to help survive when SHTF (first strike?)
Seriously, not much hope of surviving...no hidey hole for 6-12mnths...no meds stockpiled...people think I'm as ready as I can be but to tell the truth I'll probably just bend over, grab my ankles and smile when I see the big ole mushroom cloud. Be faster that way.

Check out the blog site www.survivalblog.com. It has a wealth of info and is also a network of good folks.

I have three survival kits I take with me in the field, I'd be good for at least a month. A gun and that, headed to places I know where people aren't likely to go that I could survive...

...like Chuck said: ain't much chance of hope, but gotta satisfy the will to live at least until reality sets in. :lol:

"Leave one round for yourself."

How grim. :lol:

8)

No, but there are a few small things I keep in stock just in case.

A local copy of wikipedia .. see http://www.kiwix.org/index.php/Main_Page.

I keep a good stock of bicycle tires and misc. parts, a tick I got from seeing too many Dutch WWII pictures w/ people riding bikes with wood on their rims. Of course I have a few bikes to go with that.

A stock of cannabis seeds I refresh every year.

Next growing season I hope to add tobacco growing to my skill set and decent seed to my stash.

a couple knives
sharpening stones
multi tool
paracord
several methods of starting fire (matches, lighters, magnesium sticks ect) and tender of different types
steel wool
candles
tarp
military issued pick/shovel (korean war style)
hatchet
water filtration/purification means
browning bow with extra arrows and tips
telescoping fishing rod with reel and extra line hooks ect.
military first aid kit with Blood clotting agents and wound seals
several canteens
a couple flashlights, spare batteries, and bulbs.
those are either in the military backpack, on my military web belt or can be grabbed quickly

Things to add
Rem 870 12 gauge with rifled and smooth bore barrel and ammo
Colt 1911 and ammo
MREs
M7 bayonet ,can be attached to shovel cover and attached to a stick to use as a spear.

Military surplus sites have a ton of stuff that is useful and cheap. I also watched a video where one guy kept some cash, gold, silver and cigarettes for items that he could trade or buy stuff with.

Whats up here. I dont see anyone got their smoking bag for bug out gear. A few pipes and a stash of tobacco. Dont yall know that tobacco and wiskey will become money when all the money is worthless. Dont forget antibiotics. Will be quite the item too. Of course if the zombie appocolips dosent happen, :roll: Ill just stand where Im at and ride the storm out, Ill make it like the other cockaroaches. Every thing else Ill take when I need it. Got to be smarter than the average bear, hey Bo Bo.

Hahaha.

Good point Plumber. I'd better get a 10-tin roll of EMP and Jackknife...I'd be set.

Now, how to construct field pipe cleaners out of yucca or willow... :lol:

8)

Learn to cache in small amounts over your preplanned route of march.
Dont be flashing gold or watches etc. Use 12 digit grid coordinates.
Primary
Alternate
Contingency
Emercency

Practicing may cause you to sweat but, that will prevent you from bleeding.

Bill

E6s5z.png

After talking with several folks, I've added a new tool to the bag. Some of you will probably scoff at the notion but to me, it makes some sense.
We purchased a Benjamin Trail NP All weather .22 pellet gun. Yup. A pellet gun.

It's a break barrel model with a gas or nitro style piston. Velocity is about 900fps with a lead pellet. I'll replace the inexpensive scope sometime down the road and polishing/cleaning up the trigger mechanism greatly improved the performance. (It pulls like a bad tooth right out of the box) There's also a trigger kit (Charlie DaTuna, no really) that greatly improves the standard two stage trigger. Easy install - about $30.

So why a pellet gun? Because I love plinking the varmints around my house - even a few dove. It's a blast to shoot.
My 17 year old daughter can comfortably shoot it as can my wife. It's ideal for them for both target practice and small game, not to mention that pellets are super cheap. 250 ct RWS super dome 14gr - $8. I've already stocked replacement seals, etc. They are surprising accurate up about 25-30 yards. Another big reason is how quiet they shoot. I've not tested it myself but some reviewers demonstrated the gun's report at around 90-95 decibels. Seriously, it's about as loud as snapping your fingers.

The RWS Super domes are about .02 per pellet and are the most consistent fitting in my gun. Definitely enough fire power to take down most birds, rabbits, squirrels maybe even a turkey although I highly doubt I would get close enough to get off a lethal shot. If you have a grain silo close to your house, it's like going to the super market for dove and pigeons.

Did I mention it's a blast to shoot?

.22 Pellet guns are a great choice for your bag.
Cheap, quiet, strong enough to pick off small game, and easy to shoot. They are a no brainer IMHO.

plumbernater":fht7idlw said:
Dont yall know that tobacco and wiskey will become money when all the money is worthless. Dont forget antibiotics.
Whisky doubles as antibiotic :cheers: :lol:

kyle weiss":fht7idlw said:
Now, how to construct field pipe cleaners out of yucca or willow...

Don't laugh I am sure native americans used something like that for their pipes, not to mention yucca is great to eat and willow has quite a few survival uses as well.

wadeg":fht7idlw said:
After talking with several folks, I've added a new tool to the bag. Some of you will probably scoff at the notion but to me, it makes some sense.
We purchased a Benjamin Trail NP All weather .22 pellet gun. Yup. A pellet gun.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper-22.html

those two items would work wonders with small game, but to feed my family I need something with more oomf for deer and such and to ward of those who wish to steal or harm me

It would also help to learn how to make snares and other traps. These gentlemen made a trapping video for us in jersey on trapping that will be quite benificial to everyone in this case. I need to pick one up myself as well as get the time to go out with Mike on his trapline to get hands on experiance. The more knowledge you are armed with that can be used in a survival situation the better off you are.

http://www.droptineproductions.net/Purchase_Products.asp

DoverPipes":588k9d3i said:
Cheap, quiet, strong enough to pick off small game, and easy to shoot. They are a no brainer IMHO.
Dover, I started thinking about some other options to add to the pellet gun and my 870.
Ran across a Ruger 10/22 takedown model at Academy and really liked it. http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Cheap ammo, quiet and almost anyone can handle it. Reliable as they come. Easy to customize.
Still not a real defense type weapon in most folks eyes but added a couple of BX25 round magazines. Should be effective.
And... I DID add a few 8oz bags of Blackpool to the bag along with a couple of Missouri Meerschaums. Might throw in some tins as well.

I keep a "bug out" bag that I take with me in my vehicles whenever I go out, but for a different reason then you might expect. It's to get me home in case I'm away from home when the so called balloon goes up. I keep enough supplies to keep me and the wife going for at least a month or so without resupplying. I can live without electricity if needed for a pretty long time as I keep plenty of cooking and lantern fuel. I have more than enough to keep it protected from most any threat. Except maybe a Predator drone :lol!:

WaydeG":2effh5y8 said:
DoverPipes":2effh5y8 said:
Dover, I started thinking about some other options to add to the pellet gun and my 870.
Ran across a Ruger 10/22 takedown model at Academy and really liked it. http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Cheap ammo, quiet and almost anyone can handle it. Reliable as they come. Easy to customize.
Still not a real defense type weapon in most folks eyes but added a couple of BX25 round magazines. Should be effective.
Can't go wrong with a 10/22. Meat & pototoes gun. Damn near anyone can use it and ammo is everywhere and cheap. A 5000 block in a ammo can weighs next to nuthin'. Only concern would be the report of the rifle after every shot. Then again, nothing a plastic soda bottle, some steel wool, motor oil, and some duct tape can't fix....... :twisted: Not that I would know what those items would be used for in a situation like that :roll:

I like the pellet gun thought. I have a blow gun thats about 3 feet long that has a bunch of darts that came with it. It was origanilly got to play with. The thing is deadly to tell the truth. Small game could be taken with a little practice. guiet as well.