Anyone else into National Geographic?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ossian

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Been a long time since I last wrote something, but I have been quite busy with school, taking my bachelor in geology!

I've been reading and looking at the pictures in National Geographic almost as long as I can remember.
My grandfather started collecting National Geographic in the early 60's, so we got a substantial library of them at our house in the stockholm archipelago. The numbers start somewhere at 1971 and go almost all the way til today. i've always wondered what happened to the other volumes from the 60's and some from the 80's, but since my grandfather is quite old he had forgotten...

Until a month ago, when we both found 3 large paper bages filled to the brim with the missing ones plus one from 1954 in his basement!! It was really great to go through them and get the whole collection!

I must say, it's a great magazine!

Cheers!

It is a great magazine. The photography is always stunning.

I get to peruse them when I take my kinds to the Doctor.

I should get a subscription....

Especially when you get home from a field excursion and wonder why your bags are so heavy... Gotta feed the rock-collection!

Preaching to the choir, sir. I'm training as an exploration geologist. My father and I have a company, and guess who is the proverbial "mule." Yeah, that'd be me. :lol: Seven miles back to the truck with 80lbs of samples? Sure, why not? I have a pipe and the outdoors--sure beats a desk job. :twisted:

8)

I know several of the staff at Nat. Geo., and have been to their D.C. office for workshops a few times. The old yellow box magazine may not be published much longer, as it's getting too expensive and it's loosing money big time for them. Perhaps only an on-line version in the future? :(

Natch

That'd be a shame. NatG was responsible for giving work and renowned exposure to some fantastic photographers that might not have otherwise been discovered.

8)

I was, and "collected" em for years. (I can't throw shit away.)
I never knew what I was gonna do with those huge
stacks of past issues. Katrina settled that for me. ;)

My mother STILL subscribes and has since 1947! She's got a closet full of 'em now and when she dies, she's willed 'em all to me. From what I noticed around here, they get around $.20 a copy at garage sales so I'll be rich :twisted: They went digital about 3/4 years ago. They were one of the last film hold-outs in the publishing world, but not anymore :p

As a kid I collected National Geographics. By the time I got married I must have had 150+ issues...needless to say but I don't have them anymore. :cry:

I love National Geographic, and have since I was a kid.
I remember finding a big box of them in an alley back in the '70's, and dragging them all the way home. That was a heavy box!
Nothing makes me feel as warmly nostalgic like the old issues, especially from the 1960's and 1970's, and I love nostalgia.
The newer one's didn't do it for me. When the photos and printing became too sharp and crystal clear, they lost the magic, for me.
I still have a big stack, as well as old books from NG, and I hope my son likes them as much as I did, and still do.

Sadly, the old National Geographic magazines are the only thing enjoyable about going to the dentist for me. :evil:

I love watching the NatGeo videos these days especially. It'll be sad when the paper version is gone though.

Isn't National Geographic where most boys (before the Internet) saw real, naked boobies for the first time? I remember that's why the Mormon kid down the street was strictly forbidden to read them. Though he was pretty good at finding his father's Hustlers and bringing them to school... :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":gjt6ctxy said:
Isn't National Geographic where most boys (before the Internet) saw real, naked boobies for the first time? I remember that's why the Mormon kid down the street was strictly forbidden to read them. Though he was pretty good at finding his father's Hustlers and bringing them to school... :lol:

8)
I know nothing about that, Kyle...

Haha but I remember seeing pictures you took from your field-work. Looks amazing! It's just the way I'd like to work, away from the desk out in the open. Though I guess it will be considerably colder and wetter when I do it...

I agree that the older issues still are the best ones. However, the archaeology/geology stories in present issues are fanatstic and the ones I read first!

Ossian":hbc5z2cw said:
Haha but I remember seeing pictures you took from your field-work. Looks amazing! It's just the way I'd like to work, away from the desk out in the open. Though I guess it will be considerably colder and wetter when I do it...
Sometimes it's that way for me. Drilling season out here means driving snow and mud in October/November, and then having the crap baked out of you in the summer... :lol: There's always May and early June, though, when everything's perfect, and the same in October. I've taken my licks from the weather. :) Still...better than a desk.

8)

It's a little known fact that the reason the earth's axis is tilted is that there are way more NGeo subscribers in the Northern hemisphere, and they tend to store back issues up in their attics, and this is enough to tilt the axis leading to an unstable jet stream and, possibly, influence global warming.

KevinM":4bf5syq4 said:
It's a little known fact that the reason the earth's axis is tilted is that there are way more NGeo subscribers in the Northern hemisphere, and they tend to store back issues up in their attics, and this is enough to tilt the axis leading to an unstable jet stream and, possibly, influence global warming.
I knew this. That is why I switched to a digital subscription. :cyclops:

KevinM":v2p4ncvb said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KevinM":nu4w9xh4 said:
Kevin, that is a brilliant description of that "little" known fact. You truly have one of the finest minds of the 8th century :lol: ! You should run for office down here in Arkieland, I'm on our school's curriculum committee and their are several legislators that are attempting to force such a curriculum upon us. :affraid:

Natch