Anyone else just starting their Fall semester??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordies

Reaction score
Oh boy this is gonna be a really busy semester. I'm taking 9hrs, and a TA position for two classes, and an RA position. Not to mention having to work on my thesis. Times are a changin....

Feel your Pain bro, We are half way through here!
Our semester ends in Nov.
Crazy times lie ahead!
Do make time for a couple of bowls full though!

New faculty business tomorrow for me, then I see students first thing on Monday. It's a mandatory course--got a bad feeling it's going to be a slog.

I'm going to have the greatest semester of my life coming up, I think. I'll be delivering a 6-week course at a hotel school on the southern Mediterranean coast of Turkey in a city called Antalya. Class only meets on Saturday and Sunday! After that, I'll spend a month or so working my way across southern Europe visiting wineries and conducting research until I make it to Lisbon. Then I'll spend about 10 months chained to my desk, puffing on pipes and cigars while writing a textbook. Hopefully I'll be able to take occasional breaks to visit other major wine producing countries.

And I get paid to do this stuff. Life is good.

I feel for you guys about to start a new semester. I've been doing a part time MBA program for what feels like forever. I have about 3 weeks left and am so beyond ready to be done with school. I know I need to finish the class with a 3.5 or better but all I can think of is what pipe I'm gonna buy myself as an I'm done gift! Thinking a Poul Winslow POY

Rugbysh9":1l3epb9x said:
I feel for you guys about to start a new semester. I've been doing a part time MBA program for what feels like forever.
Yep, been there, done that. Was sometimes 40+ hrs/wk. Took me 4 years from 1996 to 2000. I was 45yo when I finished. Don't regret it but sure would not take it on again especially now! More power to you all and get it done while you are YOUNG! :cheers:

We just started homeschool for the boys yesterday, so my wife is back in the swing of things and the summer of fun is over for the kids. We're hoping for another great year!

TallSmoke, good for you guys. My wife home schooled our 2 youngest boys for their complete high school curriculum. Was a lot of work but worth it.

Hunter, the rewards are HUGE! We love it. We're talking them all from K through 12. It gets tougher as they get older, but with the way homeschooling is booming in the US there are TONS of resources. Glad to hear you guys had success with it! Great stuff! :cheers:

TallSmoke":qqony3r4 said:
We just started homeschool for the boys yesterday, so my wife is back in the swing of things and the summer of fun is over for the kids. We're hoping for another great year!
If homeschooling had been an option when we went I could have saved two hours a day on the bus, eliminated all the bullshit from the "end of career and don't bother me" teachers, bypassed the unimportant required fluff courses, and gotten into a lot less trouble.

I just started as well. I graduated in 08 with a degree in Sociology and now I'm heading back to get a Masters in Psychology. Right now I'm working on my prerequisites to qualify for the program. So this should be a whole mess of fun.

mark":1quzd1bf said:
If homeschooling had been an option when we went I could have saved two hours a day on the bus, eliminated all the bullshit from the "end of career and don't bother me" teachers, bypassed the unimportant required fluff courses, and gotten into a lot less trouble.
Items that are certainly on our top 100 "Why We Chose Homeschool" list, Mark. I loathed the bus all the way through 8th grade when I beat up the school bully on it. Then it was no problem. I had some good teachers. And some bad ones. I do like how we control what our kids are taught and can leave off the fluff. But, I tell ya, boys will be boys, and mine find themselves standing in the corner or worse with my wife from time to time. :lol:

Aaron":ira7q1uw said:
I just started as well. I graduated in 08 with a degree in Sociology and now I'm heading back to get a Masters in Psychology. Right now I'm working on my prerequisites to qualify for the program. So this should be a whole mess of fun.
Aaron, you are doing a great job on the Sigmund Freud look, that should get you some points! :D

TallSmoke said:
mark":v8or8xgm said:
But, I tell ya, boys will be boys, and mine find themselves standing in the corner or worse with my wife from time to time. :lol:
FYI, one of our boys when they were older felt that home schooling was keeping him too much out of the social scene and in turn he over compensated by getting in with the wrong crowd and has suffered some consequences from that. Make sure you keep it balanced, help them with the social aspects of growing up even more so than you might if they were getting social contact at school. Both can lead them in the wrong direction but our son resented being "cut off" during the time spent at home.

Doc Manhattan":d9y4tvt4 said:
New faculty business tomorrow for me, then I see students first thing on Monday. It's a mandatory course--got a bad feeling it's going to be a slog.
Doc, Lecturing is a slog man!

40 hrs a week office bound, half of that lecturing Students, the rest on doctoral research.......... O' between 1 and 4 am I try to get through some Masters dissertations I am supervising!

Dang but you lot are a bunch of clever Buggers,

Who of you hold a post grad. degree and what????

Piet Binsbergen":kfcgjnw9 said:
Who of you hold a post grad. degree and what????
I have an MFA in Writing, and also a NY State teaching certificate that is totally useless, since CT has no reciprocity because the state college system are a bunch of racketeers (oops, forgot I work for them now!)

We had our meetings with the Dean/Provost/county dog catcher/etc. today. Haven/t gotten a raise or even a cost of living adjustment in three years, and looks like none in sight. The student's will be sitting in their seats, bright eyed and bushy tailed, waiting for my devastatingly interesting and pertinent discussions at 8 AM tomorrow (I wish!).

I've got my usual 4-4 load, with two Gen. Ed. classes, one Cultural Geography class, and my favorite upper elective, Recreation & Tourism. A like them all, and even the Gen. Eds are fun, as that's where we get most of our majors from and for some odd reason I seem to bring in more majors than anyone else. Must me my charm, good looks, and classy aura? :lol:

Natch

Hunter5117":1zf0l9se said:
Aaron":1zf0l9se said:
Aaron, you are doing a great job on the Sigmund Freud look, that should get you some points! :D
Holy crap! I do kinda look like Freud in that picture! I wonder what that means?

Falconer":yk4sn245 said:
I'll be starting my Fall semester in May. I'll turn 60.
?????????????
Valky, you read for my doctorate in stead, as payment I'll send you Pietenpauw pipes!!!! :cheers: