anyone have problems with burns on top of mouth?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
from eating pizza that is slightly cooler than molten magma?

rev

Its been known to happen, that's for sure!

I was training Muai Thai years ago, and my sparring partner turned up with his lips in a real horrible state, it looked like somebody had hit him with an iron bar, I asked him about it and he grinned and said 'Burnt myself on a pasty'. That's still the scariest food I've ever heard of.

Aaaaahhh, Pasty's. Food of the gods!!! I grew up in a mining community that had a number of Cornish folks and pasty's were a staple of my diet.

Never had one attack me, though.

Natch

Greyson":uwlto1nt said:
Its been known to happen, that's for sure!

I was training Muai Thai years ago, and my sparring partner turned up with his lips in a real horrible state, it looked like somebody had hit him with an iron bar, I asked him about it and he grinned and said 'Burnt myself on a pasty'. That's still the scariest food I've ever heard of.
Muay Thai is the stupidist thing I ever trained... They teach you how ti kick harder than a human should possibly be able to... then they tell you to block those kicks with your shin... to their shin WTF?

rev

ps, very effective stand up style, mixes well with greco roman wrestling, I love teaching people how to alternate between knees and hip throws, almost seems unfair

the rev":eb3ftkyo said:
almost seems unfair
That's funny...

I tell my kids "fair is something comes to town once a year and has rides. And last I checked you don't have tickets!"

Sounds like good teaching to me Rev!

(With regard to my kids, I go on to tell them that life is often not fair, but that doesn't mean they should not be.)

the rev":vcm45clb said:
I love teaching people how to alternate between knees and hip throws, almost seems unfair
I keep trying to envision this...I assume this would be from an over/under, right?

Also, OP...I have burned myself horribly on pizza before. As well as hot fried apple pies from drive-throughs. Those things are deadly, I tells ya! :oops:

yeah buddy, the over under is the perfect set up for knees to the ribs and mid section, and I like to throw them into the thigh as well. But when people hip in to protect from the knees I arch into a throw. Its basically, I can knee the shit out of you, or throw you onto your head. Up to you. Doesn't work against top tier talent of course as their clinch game is very technical as well.

rev

I used to train pretty often with Dan Henderson, he has amazing clinch game

rev

the rev":e686e972 said:
I used to train pretty often with Dan Henderson, he has amazing clinch game

rev
That's awesome!! Word is, he has just a little bit o' power in that right hand of his too. :D

Henderson and Couture stick out in my mind as two of the best clinch fighters of all time.

I've been meaning to enroll in a sub grappling or BJJ school...but stress and marriage has made me fat over the past few years. Though I have been a student of "poor man's jiu-jitsu" for several years (rolling with friends who legitimately train and watching Machado/Gracie DVDs ad naseum). Maybe someday... :(

well as a black belt who has trained for 15 years, and wrestled for more years than that let me just say, go learn from a black belt.

rev

I recently had a couple of red spots on the roof of my mouth shortly after smoking one of my favorite blends, H&H Cerberus. The spots were tender and somewhat painful any time I ate something with a little edge to it (like 12-grain toast). I've laid off the pipe for the last four days and the spots are gone (hence the reason you haven't seen me on "what are you smoking right now"). Has this ever happened to any of you seasoned pipers? I'm not a 100% sure the inflammation was from the pipe or something I had eaten, but it did worry me a little. I want to enjoy my pipes for the rest of my life but I don't want them shortening the journey. :affraid: