Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zeno Marx":156im4h1 said:
Also on Netflix is Gosford Park, which was written and controlled by the same chap who wrote and controls Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes. Won a bunch of awards that year, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I gave the movie 8/10, but it also didn't have two seasons and tens of episodes to develop and breathe. He's a master writer, no doubt about it.
Not a bad film. Not great, to me, but not bad. *shrug* The subject matter was kind of boring, but it was well-written and directed.

Melancholia
32 Short Films about Glenn Gould
Certified Copy
Everything Must Go
El Buli: Cooking in Progress

I myself, dont have tv other than netflix,and HULU plus, so ive been watching t v series like Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate SGI, seen em all
Then I watched the whole series of Firefly,, it was ok, but theres a gal on there that looked familiar, and it turns out shes on stargate atlantis too, anyhow, I think shes cool.
Lately I have been watching Breakout, and Nikita series. Nikita is pretty hot too, so is her sidekick.

HuluPlus seems to have way too many Korean films, not that I'm against korean stuff, hell I spent 2 years over there, but holy cow , it dominates the selection on Hulu
BUT< Hulu DOES HAVE , Saturday Night Live ,, all of them ! , and hulu has a few comedy channels, with ALL of the past episodes of stand up.

Im kinda missing Deadman Walking, that new series. I realy liked it, and Netflix only has the first season, which I have seen.

RU,

Korea is the new HK, but more self-reflective.

I am in agreement with Kyle about MOON.

Added "Rampart" to my DVD list and currently waiting on "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I wanted to see Tinker in the theater, but it never worked out.

riff raff":725n5oqq said:
Added "Rampart" to my DVD list and currently waiting on "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I wanted to see Tinker in the theater, but it never worked out.
Last time I was in St. Louis I saw three films:

In order of excellence:

We Have to Talk About Kevin
Marley
Rampart

I think I would have liked Rampart better had I not seen two of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

Enjoy.

Zeno Marx":5puwhgo6 said:
Also on Netflix is Gosford Park, which was written and controlled by the same chap who wrote and controls Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes. Won a bunch of awards that year, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I gave the movie 8/10, but it also didn't have two seasons and tens of episodes to develop and breathe. He's a master writer, no doubt about it.

I am in Agreement. It seems the US was binging on these kind of films and though directed and acted beautifully. It's pretty forgettable; like a good truffle on the pillow of a nice hotel. You eat and it's good, but you are wondering where you put your champagne glass. (The Remains of The Day, for instance)

Kyle Weiss":shrl8d5o said:
If you don't mind reading subtitles, "Castaway On The Moon," 2009 Korean flick. If you watch it and honestly don't like it, I'll send you a tin of your favorite tobacco (within reason), Simple Man.

Not kidding.

8)
I don't know why I confused this with "Moon?" Maybe because I watch so much Korean film.

Kyle, what were you thinking? Forget what I do, forget I've been to Korea, or that my passion is Asian Cinema, forget all that malarkey. Dude, the movie is 7 seven films in one, and latches onto two characters who are boring at worst and unlikeable at best. The beginning is horrible and the ending is worse. There are some interesting moments, albeit fleetingly and too far in between, but the most egregious offense in the ending.

Dude, this film and what it's about is swimming in the wake of the work of Taiwanese directors Tsai Ming-Liang, and Hou Hsiao-Hsien . (The Hole and Millenium Mambo, respectively). Finally, you may also want to check out Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels and Chungking Express.

I toook your offer to SM as not just I really like this film, but a stamp or claim to its greatness.

It's worst offense is the ending that makes it all but unforgettable.

I know, this is a bit harsh. But Kyle, you got a rep to keep up and well, you know, YEESH! I thought we were on the same page when it comes to qualitative comments. You are entitled to like or dislike a film for whatever reasons you choose, but once you start dropping anchor and putting up tobacco (that is NOT why I am writing this, btw....but I would be curious to know what you think of the film after watching more Korean cinema and know more about asian cinema in general.

Ok, I am a douche, but I will be able to sleep tonight. :lol!:

Cheers, brother! :)

Just watched Mothers Day, starring Rebecca De Mornay. A great movie if you like a little violence, and a lot of suspense! 8)

Just finishing up the Story of India with Michael Wood.

Fascinating stuff , lots of things I never realized about the influence India has had over the last 4-5000 years. Highly recommend this one, has such tidbits as the relationship between Sanskrit and all other indo-european languages, that every person not from Africa can be traced genetically to India, ,the invention of zero 0, the trading realtionships between ancient India, Rome and the Greek city states etc...

if you like detective shows like sherlock try Wallander..the swedish version is better than the BBC

House of Cards. It's been fascinating, visceral, dialogue-y, and fun. Interesting concept from Netflix, releasing it how they're doing. Plus, I've always dug Kevin Spacey.

Trollhunter

Slow burn comedy, mockumentary, Norwegian dialog (subtitles), awesome.

I just finished season 1 of the Netflix original series Lilyhammer. I have to say it really grew on me as it developed.

And as earlier noted, you are doing yourself a disservice if you haven't streamed the BBC series Sherlock - or most of the BBC series for that matter

They put the History Channel miniseries "Hatfields & McCoys" on netflix a few days ago. The wife and I watched it, and even she enjoyed it (extremely rare for her to enjoy anything like this).

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and Kevin Costner's portrayal of Devil Anse Hatfield has him with a pipe in his mouth constantly (some sort of stubby bent egg-ish type of thing).

arrested development the new season comes out may 4th WATCH IT!

Here's my recent summary:

House of Cards - A+, a very well done show, can't wait for the 2nd season. It was so good we shotgunned many episodes.

Lillyhammer - fun, because I love Steven Van Zandt. Quirky good. It won't make you forget The Sopranos but fun to watch. I don't think a 2nd season is in the works.