Anyone used Kilner clip top jars (or similar)?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyson

Reaction score
I have been lazy, and although I bought a lot of jars for long term tobacco storage, it wasn't until I started to find that the tobacco in sealed bags was going dry that I started transferring them into the jars. I still don't have everything put away yet, but I put the larger quantities away.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone had used these type of jars for their cellars, I noticed when I washed them out and left them to dry that the rubber washer gave the jar a very rubbery smell, and I'm hoping that it wont transfer to the tobacco, but I don't know, I haven't tried it before. Anyone know if I can expect any negative effects from a rubber washer seal?

dscf1262p.jpg

Are you putting the jars into the dishwasher with the rubber seals in place? That could be your problem. Also, some "bail" jars have mighty powerful wire bails that crush the glass rims of the jars from which I've gotten some nasty cuts that bleed all over the damn place. So I usually use the twist top variety.

You've got to watch bail top (Kilner) jars. Many of them leak. Like the man said, jars with the screw on lids (Ball, Mason, Ball Mason...whatever you want to call them today) are best by far.

williamcharles":1ke2tca8 said:
You've got to watch bail top (Kilner) jars. Many of them leak. Like the man said, jars with the screw on lids (Ball, Mason, Ball Mason...whatever you want to call them today) are best by far.
This! ^

Cheers,

RR

Damn, I couldn't find any of the kinds of jars you guys use, but I was told these traditional preserving jars would be airtight so I thought they would work. Now I have a box full of em.

Are you putting the jars into the dishwasher with the rubber seals in place?
I'd read that they come pre-sterilised, so I hadn't been too concerned with cleaning most of them that came sealed, however the last two I bought I picked up at a farmers market and they were really dusty, so I washed them in hot water with the seals still on, which would have the same effect as what you're suggesting I guess.

I don't think the rubber will penetrate, but if your worried open them cover jar with saran wrap and then close the lid as long as you dont have any wrinkles in the plastic it should seal as good as with out, possibly better

I found the bail type jars are not 100 % air tight & switched to wide mouth mason jars for peace of mind.

I don't like bailtop jars even for kitchen/food stuff...used to keep flour and grain in them, and bugs still managed to find their way in. :| I think what happens is because there's a lever-type action with sealing them, there's more pressure on one side of the seal than the other, and the seals can slip or wrinkle eventually, too. Not to mention, there's always a part of the rubber seal exposed (atmosphere/oxygen, UV, etc) to degrade them.

The Ball/Kerr/Mason jars with their unique lids actually seem to protect the seal itself and put even pressure on the lids by simple design.

8)

Kyle Weiss":6yi79vgr said:
gravel":6yi79vgr said:
I keep PA in a bail top jar.
And get rid of that awesome, red, plastic Folger's coffee jug it comes in? Awwww. :p
It was the lovely luxury pouch. It still is in the lovely luxury pouch.

I've used the bail type jars as a "working" humidor for several years now and find 'em just fine for "using" storage. But other than keeping 'bac in it's un-opened tin for long term storage, I'd have to conccur with the usage of the "Mason" type jars for long term cellaring.

...oooOOOoooo....

...Luxury...

:lol: I think my pouch of Carter Hall has sat open for weeks and I can still "...feel the quality..."

Good thing that stuff has sentimental value in flavor, or I'd be disturbed by the propylene glycol humectant action...

8)

Greyson,

I use similar bail top jars. I think they're Italian and were bought about 15 years ago at the Container Store. The rubber gaskets are white. I've been using them since then without issues. Some have been closed since bought. No rubber smell at all. They're all still perfect and air tight, but a few had the gasket replaced because they became stained from tobacco specs. Don't have anything negative to say about them and do not hesitate to recommend them.

Kyle Weiss":mg9f50av said:
...oooOOOoooo....

...Luxury...

:lol: I think my pouch of Carter Hall has sat open for weeks and I can still "...feel the quality..."

Good thing that stuff has sentimental value in flavor, or I'd be disturbed by the propylene glycol humectant action...

8)
Heh, that PA is as fresh as the day I bought it! I figured I should have some PA kicking around.

Wet Dottle":3evycf0a said:
Greyson,

I use similar bail top jars. I think they're Italian and were bought about 15 years ago at the Container Store. The rubber gaskets are white. I've been using them since then without issues. Some have been closed since bought. No rubber smell at all. They're all still perfect and air tight, but a few had the gasket replaced because they became stained from tobacco specs. Don't have anything negative to say about them and do not hesitate to recommend them.
Thanks for the post, I cant find an alternative so I think I'm stuck with them, I'm glad it might not be all that bad.

The brand I have is Fido and they are made in Italy. I think you will be fine with yours. By the way, for long time storage I put the tobacco in ziplock bags. That may mitigate the rubber smell...

My bail jars say Ball Ideal on them. They seal is just a replaceable rubber gasket, and the bail is two heavy wires. One goes over the lid, fits in a notch up there and another wire locks it down. It's a different, more aggressive, system than the one shown. Mine seem to hold a seal for short-term storage. But so tightly that it chips the edges of the jar, so you have to keep a wary eye when extracting the toback. For long-term storage it's hard to beat the screw top design, which is as foolproof as you can get.

Are the mason Jars you guys are using all with two part lids? A lid and a band as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_jar ?

If they are, then I've bought a load of clip tops, when Kilner themselves make this exact jar, I just looked at the lid in multiple parts and assumed it wouldn't be something like that you guys were using for tobacco.

Greyson":22vy53di said:
Are the mason Jars you guys are using all with two part lids? A lid and a band as shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_jar ?

If they are, then I've bought a load of clip tops, when Kilner themselves make this exact jar, I just looked at the lid in multiple parts and assumed it wouldn't be something like that you guys were using for tobacco.

Yes - that's the type of jar I use for pipe tobacco and bulk snuff.