anyone with info on a german pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigar2you

Reaction score
I have a german 3 piece style hunting pipe. the pipe for some reason has a metal liner with some sort of coating inside the tobacco chamber. Does anyone have a reason for this liner and secondly would you remove it and smoke staight from the briar?

1) Pictures would help.
2) If a pipe maker puts a lining in a pipe of any sort - chances are he's done it for a reason. I would suggest cleaning it up, and smoking it as is. Perhaps you'll be surprised?
R

img_2013.jpg

Not at all what I thought it would be. If you could open the top and take a pix down the bowl, we might be able to explain the inside. Perhaps a porcelain or meerschaum liner? Don't know why there would any sort of metal on the inside of the bowl, though.

Natch

This the best picture I could get. It is a metal liner with a very thim coating that seems to be flaking off

img_2015.jpg

Thanks All for thier assistance

Weird! It looks like an authentic Bavarian pipe and the sliver cap seems to have proof marks from what I can see. I'm at a loss as to why they made it that way.

Natch

It is marked made in Germany on one side and briareye on the other side. It was a gift from an elderly customer who said if came from here husbands side of the family and was probably from prior to WWII. I smoked it yesterday before I posted about it and it smoked OK but still really curious about the liner and if I should remove it.

Either way, that is one cool chuck of lumber you have there! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: