Ardor pipes, your thoughts......

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a new pipe that will probably be the most expensive pipe I've ever bought. I have a few estate Dunhills and would love something a little more solid, chunky if you will. I like the look of many of the Ardor brand pipes.

I also see that many of my brothers on here own and smoke them. I love to hear anyone's thoughts and experiences with this brand. Whether it be on price,value,smoke-ability,shape, style,etc. I'm looking to learn. Thanks in advance. :cheers: -Mike

I was collecting them at one time,must have had about 20 of them.They are good smokers,
well engineered,and have a panache with the silver/acrylic mounts they use.They hold value
if you resell,not the most or the least.
Several years ago they raised prices because of the weakened dollar I imagine,I no longer
would consider paying retail for an Ardor pipe.But in the estate market it's a different story,
you can get a real minty Ardor for 1/2 retail on E-Bay.Don't spend $350-400 for what is available
for half as much.
Don't get one where they have sanded the top flat,that shows me they weren't interested in
putting the extra work into the piece to make the bowl opening classy,just hurry up and crank
out quantity.
I believe they are the most over-priced pipes new that are for sale.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow has it down. The only thing I would add is that I've seen a lot of Ardors that are thin in the heel of the pipe. If you smoke a bowl all the way to the bottom like I do that may be something for you to consider.

Jim..my ha'pence

I'll echo Steve's sentiments too. I would advise highly buying a lightly smoked estate rather than brand new. Their current pricing has them in the same category as Castello which is a far better pipe in my opinion. I've also owned around 20 Ardors in the last few years but have sold them off in favor of Danish and American pipes. To sum it up, they're ok but you can do better for the same amount of cash.

I love all mine, I 've gotten lucky, there used to be a guy at our SHPC that sold pipes for less than 1/2 new, with only two of mine bought sight unseen, if you 're going to buy Ardor go with the concensus and but a lightly smoked one they're out there! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

I currently have 3 Ardors in the collection and they all smoke great. My favorite of course in my 2003 Ardor Urano Giant. Recently, my local B&M got a shipment of estate Ardors straight from Steve Monjure's personal collection. I picked up an Oom Paul shape and an apple shape, which both smoke great as well. My personal preference has also shifted to buying rusticated pipes with lucite stems, as I do a good bit of camping. With the humidity factor in Maryland during the summer, I feel confident taking pipes with lucite stems with me. Also, as opposed to straight grains, rusticated pipes don't scratch or require a lot of maintenance. With this new found focus on my collection, Ardors and Radice pipes generally seem to fit the bill for my taste.

-Scott

Thanks Winslow, actually I've been watching those pipes and wanted to get some info before I pulled the trigger on one. Peace-Mike :)

I have two so far. One a rusticated bent Urano Fantasy 2007 and the other a rusticated meteor full bent ball. Love the heft and feel in the hand. Especially open draw on the meteor which came from Steve Monjoor - he dropped a whole tray off at my local B&M. Thinking I may have to go grab another as they are priced most deliciously!

I have had several ardors.You can get a better pipe for the same money.winslow etc. try e-bay germany/austria and get some better choices even if you want an ardor.one guy I have used a lot goes by the name of Durgol.all pipes by him require tobacco and a light.He has all brands whjich vary week to week. he will work with you on shipping too. good luck. Be patient.

Well, thanks all for your input. I DID end up getting an Ardor. I got a 2008 Urano rusticated Fantasy. It is an excellent pipe, looks and feels great. I've smoked it about 6 times over the past few weeks and it smokes great.

The best part: I got it for short money $100. Yes, I agree there are better pipes out there for the price of a new Ardor($300 and up) and I'm actively looking at those brands as well. Because you guys know a man can never have enough pipes, right?

:cheers: Mike

They've had a few Ardor Urano 2005 Christmas pipes on eBay as of late. I'm currently bidding on one -- anyone have one by chance?

Matt

I own two, despite the fact that I keep telling myself that I'm really not that into "Italian" looking pipes. Mainly Danish and English for me, but those Ardors were too pretty; straight grain, birdseye, nice shapes. Ironically Ardor also seems to have a knack for making some odd looking pipes. Odd as in "wow, that's odd..."

Many of the shapes they have are indeed strange, if not ugly. But they have a few eye-catchers that are unique and beautiful.

Matt

I've got just one, an Ardor Urano longstemmed, rusticated poker shape that is very good with flakes. Smokes cool and the briar delivers the flavor of Virginias and VaPers very efficiently.

4506489207_0f28febe27.jpg

Andor rocks and so do most Italian high enders for that matter, I have decided to focus my energy here for now!
I have not been disappointed yet!

We'll see if I win the eBay auction. For some reason, I always lose out on Ardor's. :evil:

I'd love to smoke one eventually, if I can get one that I like for a decent price.

Matt