Are any of the Old Boy copies any good?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I've seen the Coronas, and there's one on ebay from Japan that has a tamper and pick built in; seems like that would be handy. Just wondering if the lighters are any good.

Idlefellow":8cxscp03 said:
I've seen the Coronas, and there's one on ebay from Japan that has a tamper and pick built in; seems like that would be handy.  Just wondering if the lighters are any good.
From my experience The IMCO Old Boy are the best of the lower price knockoff's. The XiKar version has had issues but the lifetime warranty is solid. I've never owned The Pearl or Pete but they are close enough in price that I stick with the IMCO. :shock:

I own an IMCO and it's been issue free. Just keep it clean and once in a while lightly brush the flint wheel. Most common problem is it will throw a spark but not light. Just replace the flint and stretch the spring a bit. That's it, your good to go.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I own a Kiribi Kubuto. Nice lighter and I would recommend it. The Kiribi's are very well built and they are backed by Laudisi/Smokingpipes. Anyway, good product and high quality all the way.

DrumsAndBeer":kvoz8rnx said:
I own a Kiribi Kubuto. Nice lighter and I would recommend it. The Kiribi's are very well built and they are backed by Laudisi/Smokingpipes. Anyway, good product and high quality all the way.
I'm going on my 2nd week with a Kubuto. Really pleased so far. It's been a while since I've had an Old Boy style lighter, and I forgot how much I like the angled flame versus a Zippo or a Bic.

Save your pennies and get one of the originals, a Dunhill Unique. It was the first fuel lighter made back in 1923 and they still make it. I've heard nothing but problems of all sorts with the copies and have had NO problems with my sterling Dunhill Unique I got over 30 years ago. JMHO :evil:

I bought a Peterson w/ no tamper or pick, thus larger gas tank, at GQ Tobaccos in the UK. /without VAT and with Royal Air Mail at about $13.00 I got a rare solid chrome with vertical stripes for about $70.00. It has a small "P" logo on the bottom of one side & I love it!! Without fail lights every time and is a classic beauty. Made in Japan by the same CO. that makes Dunhill's, sans the silver plate... It may take 2 weeks to get from overseas, but you save BIG TIME & well worth it... You compare with the Corona Big Boy and see just how great of a bargain it is. BTW, look it up, do the math & see just how much you save!! Very classic & solid with a wonderful tactile feel... Look at Stuff & Things on the Peterson review (2 parts) on YouTube and make-up your mind... Well worth the time & ordering was a breeze... Ended up paying about $70.00 all together I believe... Best, LeRoy

PiedPiper62, you got yourself a great lighter NO doubt. A pipe friend owns the same one and has had no issues in almost two years of constant use...ENJOY YOURS FOR MANY YEARS!!!

A number of years ago I owned a Corona Old Boy, 'twas my favorite lighter and never failed me especially how I kept it clean and ONLY used Colibri butane...suppose to be the cleanest on the market  :scratch: so I've read. I ended up gifting it to a close friend that was being shipped out overseas. We still communicate often and he still uses the Old Boy and has not had any issues because he uses the proper flints and butane. Still his favorite lighter he said...." better than my S. T. DuPont lighter ".
 About 2 months ago I received a package, was not expecting anything. So I opened the box carefully not knowing if it was a joke where something would pop up in my face or what??? It ended up being a Corona Old Boy that was gifted to me by two of the nicest people one could ever have the pleasure of knowing. Actually brought tears to my eyes, now it's the lighter I use everyday. So many amazing people still out there, even in this day and age of the society we live in...SIMPLY AMAZING PEOPLE  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Not as good as the Peterson I mentioned, I bought. Plus, the built-in tamper takes up room in lieu of the solid brass butane reservoir which gives you twice the gas... The Peterson is the way to go! At least for my taste.

PiedPiper62, I can go 5 days plus without a refill and I light MANY pipes in the coarse of 5 days. Can not ask for more!! Corona Old Boy has stood the test of time and it was a gift that I dearly appreciated  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!