Are Cobs The Disposable Razor Of The Pipe World?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
Just curious. I know they're cheap and that they provide an excellent smoke from the get-go but when I hear of folks buying a bunch at a time it makes me wonder how long these things last? Not having one in my rotation leaves me ignorant. Do you buy plenty because they're cheap and they're nice to have or because they're rendered useless after a few smokes and you just chuck em?

Well, Rusty, yes and no. Does that clear it up for you?
It's not so much that they become useless. It's more like they're cheap enough that you never worry about losing or breaking them or burning them out. Years ago I used to buy two every tax day, intending to make them my "outdoor pipes" for the summer. I never really expected them to last. You know where this is going, right? after 7 years I had exactly 14 perfectly good cobs. It got to where I'd search the neighborhood in the winter for kids building snowmen to give them away. So cobs are more like the disposable razor that never seems to go dull.

I've got cobs 20 years old and still as good as the day I bought them...and yes...I smoke hell out them! Show them the same care you'd show a briar and they should last a lot longer than mine have. I've heard of people still smoking 30 year old cobs. I saw one that was almost black from all the smoking it had been through. It wasn't one of the cobs offered with black in the finish either. Of course I've heard of the guys that don't take any care of them at all and the cob begins to fall apart within weeks.

Yes, some people don't take the time to care for their cobs and toss them.

In my experience, you can eventually make a cob turn sour if you really do nothing but smoke it continually for several weeks. It's porous and absorbent, so that's about what one might expect. It can be smoked to the point of sogginess. But who does that? Mark Twain?--who I believe bought them by the dozen? Ordinary care, barring loss or physical trauma, seems to make them last forever. I have a Country Gentleman that's about ten years old and still smokes very well every day--it's my nightcap pipe, as a matter of fact. I have no reason to toss it, and am even thinking of getting a Forever Stem for it at Walker Briar Works.

I guess they can be treated that way, but only through choice or simple neglect. I treat cheap pipes and nicer ones, cob, briar, morta, etc. all with TLC, so I don't predict immediate issues. The difference being if I drop and crack (or lose) a cob, I say a few nasty words and get over it and get another...or four. 8)

I keep mine clean as I would any other pipe I smoke, never had to get rid of one from over smokeing. The only thing that wears out are the mouth pieces and they are cheap to replace if needed. Im considering a forever stem also.

Walker warns that the forever stems don't fit used cobs. I imagine that within a few minutes they can be made to fit easily enough. Sandpaper is wonderful stuff.

Rusty Mouse":mw3lpgxs said:
Just curious. I know they're cheap and that they provide an excellent smoke from the get-go but when I hear of folks buying a bunch at a time it makes me wonder how long these things last? Not having one in my rotation leaves me ignorant. Do you buy plenty because they're cheap and they're nice to have or because they're rendered useless after a few smokes and you just chuck em?
Corncobs are affordable, not cheap. And they can and do last for decades when given proper care. And to learn what proper care for a corncob is, check out my Primer. I buy them by the dozen so I can get a 10% quantity discount, and because eventually I'll either smoke them of give them to other smokers interested in corncobs 

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer 

So, Rusty, are you sold on cobs yet? Not only are they great smokers and completely indestructible, but did I mention they'll find your car keys for you and if you hold it upside down and blow through it, it's a unicorn call? :cyclops:
Seriously, though, why not try for yourself? You could buy the entire MM lineup for the price of a mid-range briar. If you don't like it you could always build a snowman.

George Kaplan":0p34wkax said:
and blow through it, it's a unicorn call? :cyclops:
Even more seriously, Missouri Meerschaum clearly has stated for over 100 years it does not sell unicorn repellant for its pipes, and is not responsible for misuse--because once you call them, they won't go away. Unless you like unicorn barbecue, that is..

8)

tiltjlp":x4viddbp said:
Rusty Mouse":x4viddbp said:
Corncobs are affordable, not cheap. And they can and do last for decades when given proper care. And to learn what proper care for a corncob is, check out my Primer. I buy them by the dozen so I can get a 10% quantity discount, and because eventually I'll either smoke them of give them to other smokers interested in corncobs 

Funny you should chime in, I actually saw a thread in which you mentioned buying cobs in bulk, which is what got me thinking "Why? Is their lifespan that short?". Also, I've had your Corn Cob thread up on my browser for a few days now with the intent to read, but upon distraction after distraction I haven't got around to it, work, sleep, food, blah blah blah, busy life :roll: .
Thanks.

George Kaplan":5glsje76 said:
So, Rusty, are you sold on cobs yet? Not only are they great smokers and completely indestructible, but did I mention they'll find your car keys for you and if you hold it upside down and blow through it, it's a unicorn call? :cyclops:
Seriously, though, why not try for yourself? You could buy the entire MM lineup for the price of a mid-range briar. If you don't like it you could always build a snowman.
Haha, you've convinced me. If only I had one this morning after a night shift, my truck wouldn't start in the bitter cold, the cob could have rescued me!..... Somehow. Can you recommend an online vendor, or do all retailers tend to have the same selection at the same prices?

Rusty Mouse":j8p55rpf said:
tiltjlp":j8p55rpf said:
Rusty Mouse":j8p55rpf said:

Funny you should chime in, I actually saw a thread in which you mentioned buying cobs in bulk, which is what got me thinking "Why? Is their lifespan that short?". Also, I've had your Corn Cob thread up on my browser for a few days now with the intent to read, but upon distraction after distraction I haven't got around to it, work, sleep, food, blah blah blah, busy life :roll: .
Thanks.

Not really funny at all. I try to help out anyone interested in corncobs, and especially newer smokers. You could buy a Diplomat or a Great Dane Spoll next week, and if you take care of it properly, you should still be smoking it when you're my age, which is 65. All pipes should be treated with respect, the price you pay doesn't change that.

Rusty Mouse":dmgs7qc0 said:
Can you recommend an online vendor, or do all retailers tend to have the same selection at the same prices?
Just be sure you're buying MM, and not something from China or a head shop, or the one that came with that Popeye costume I know you've been eyeing. ;) They're usually about the same price from place to place.

Kyle Weiss":gzpp2b4a said:
George Kaplan":gzpp2b4a said:
Even more seriously, Missouri Meerschaum clearly has stated for over 100 years it does not sell unicorn repellant for its pipes, and is not responsible for misuse--because once you call them, they won't go away. Unless you like unicorn barbecue, that is..

8)
I prefer canned Unicorn. Just sayin'...

tiltjlp":ql2lk9rj said:
Rusty Mouse":ql2lk9rj said:
tiltjlp":ql2lk9rj said:
Rusty Mouse":ql2lk9rj said:

Thanks.

All pipes should be treated with respect, the price you pay doesn't change that.
Words I'm going to live by. Thank you sir.

Rusty Mouse":y37eil1l said:
Kyle Weiss":y37eil1l said:
George Kaplan":y37eil1l said:

8)
I just won a bet--I knew you'd be the first one to post the venerable canned unicorn meat picture. 8) :cheers: :lol:

Kyle Weiss":17f5787q said:
Rusty Mouse":17f5787q said:
Kyle Weiss":17f5787q said:
George Kaplan":17f5787q said:

8)
I just won a bet--I knew you'd be the first one to post the venerable canned unicorn meat picture. 8) :cheers: :lol:
I am the chosen one! :cheers:

My MM Country Gentleman is going on six years now, probably smoked it about 150 + times, and looks like it will outlive me. I've heard people talk about them burning out (and I've busted up a few or lost them on canoe trips), but I've never had one burn or ware out from smoking.

Natch