Are people really that helpless?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
So last night, it's roughly 9:30pm, we hear a car horn sounding steadily in the apartment complex some distance. Just loud enough to be irritating, just quiet enough to make us consider just ignoring it. About ten minutes goes by. Then twenty. Just out of curiosity, I go to investigate.

Apparently some old Chevy pickup ('75 - '81 Sierra/Silverado, something) had the steering wheel spring switch (or however they made them in those trucks, I assume it was likely all the same technology) fail, and thus, the horn started blaring with no one inside, the doors locked, and the owner nowhere to be found.

There's a small crowd milling nervously around the truck, some pissed dickhead guys talking about how they should break the window and shut it off, other people calling the police on the cell phones, others just standing there. I ask one gal who's truck it is, and she didn't know, nor did anyone else. I said, "I'll fix this." I walked to the truck.

I knew those older trucks had pretty widely-spaced grill "bars" (the plastic kind) and the horns were mounted on a metal bar just in front of the radiator. I reached in and yanked the connecting wire off of the horn's mount (easily put right again). People were STUNNED. I got a round of applause from most of them. Life went back to normal.

I didn't have to break anything, I probably saved the truck's owner a broken window and a dead battery, the citizens of the complex got a night of sleep, and I got to finish my movie in peace. No problem.

I just don't get why it was that hard. People these days.

8)

Remember, we now live in a world that values and teaches PROCESS, not how to THINK. :p

I know, but sometimes it just astonishes me. I tend to live in my own head and sometimes assume other people are like me to some degree. :lol: Not a good habit, but it is what it is. Bless the education I failed and finally taught to myself. Society's reject becomes its hero eventually.

8)

Kyle saving the day again!! I think monbla hit the nail on the head. Today people may know a lot of info, but when it comes to actually using their noggin it fails terribly.

Street smarts and logical thinking are a thing of the past it seems. I find myself falling into the same trap sometimes. I might have whipped out my iPhone and searched YouTube for an answer. :oops:

I would have done what Kyle done, only alot faster. I owned a 73 chevy truck and know where the horn is and 2 because I am an auto tech and know what to do and actually popping a lock with a coat hanger is easy with those as well. Then again being the grump ass I am when awakened I most likely would have taken a bat to the window. Just for future referances Kyle, if it happens again the hood might be able to be opened without getting inside if it is old enough.

Lawn mower gas and a zippo. That'd o taught 'em.

The real question. Now that Kyles a grand hero and all...
What happens when the guy, not knowing some jerk vandalized his truck, blows his horn at the little old lady that wouldn't have stepped into traffic had she heard a horn?
Real hero.

What? You mean people these days sometimes have to actually THINK?

Oh the Horror! :affraid:

The whole 'Process' way of solving problems, to me, is like calling Tech Support. A guy named 'Steve' who is actually in India or Pakistan goes down a list pre-made for him to try and solve your problem. When something happens or is brought up that's not on his list, he's Effed and the whole idea of you actually getting Tech Support goes down the toilet. Not to mention getting pissed over a 45-minute call that solved absolutely nothing! :x

LOL, count me among those that wouldn't have known how to do that. Might be a useful skill to learn as I live in the capital of unattended cars with alarm blaring. It's a daily event outside my place. :evil:

Then again, Mexico leads the hemisphere for illegal weapon posession. Maybe I'll just let them blare. People around here are touchy about their "naves" :p

puros_bran":h8lnjqis said:
Lawn mower gas and a zippo. That'd o taught 'em.

The real question. Now that Kyles a grand hero and all...
What happens when the guy, not knowing some jerk vandalized his truck, blows his horn at the little old lady that wouldn't have stepped into traffic had she heard a horn?
Real hero.

Why do you hate old ladies so much Kyle? Do you have something against women? Or maybe you just don't like old people. You misogynistic age discriminating bastard. They should lock you up and throw away the key.

IMO it's because in today's society everything is disposable. Nobody does anything for themselves anymore. It's just easier to pay someone else to do it or just throw it way.
And no, I don't know diddly about cars, but I would have at least opened the hood an tried something.
puros_bran":bt2pwjfw said:
Real hero.
Sorry PB. Blowing your horn at anyone causes road rage...therefore retribution...therfore you must defend yourself...therefore you will get sued. So Kyle just saved someone a lawsuit!

Mozjo33":r692yefp said:
Sorry PB. Blowing your horn at anyone causes road rage...therefore retribution...therfore you must defend yourself...therefore you will get sued. So Kyle just saved someone a lawsuit!
All Fine and Dandy, until he gets arrested and fined for 'Tampering With A Motor Vehicle'... :lol:

Mozjo33. A quick tap on the horn is the quickest way to have a pedestrian notice you. It is taught in FMCHSA Approved driving instruction.

Rob. Not just tampering with a motor vehicle but also 'tampering with a motor vehicles safety equipment' 'illegal modification of a motor vehicle' 'reckless endangerment' 'theft by destruction' 'attempted murder' or possibly 'involuntary manslaughter' and on and on.

Kyle, you better flee to Mexico now.

puros_bran":dyjmqjuh said:
Rob. Not just tampering with a motor vehicle but also 'tampering with a motor vehicles safety equipment' 'illegal modification of a motor vehicle' 'reckless endangerment' 'theft by destruction' 'attempted murder' or possibly 'involuntary manslaughter' and on and on.

Kyle, you better flee to Mexico now.
Watch out Mister E. There goes the neighborhood! :shock:

Even admission of possible guilt needs to be backed up by proof... sadly, there is none. Not a finger-printable surface to be had, no cameras, and I wouldn't guarantee a solid ID from the same people who's intelligence I was questioning. Tampering with safety equipment, perhaps, vandalizing means damage--I nary damaged a thing--neener. Still, sorry old lady, but I'm pretty sure you're hoarding cats, were a brainwashed Nazi youth and poisoned school children. Everyone wins again! :D

8)

Kyle Weiss":g6i9x811 said:
Even admission of possible guilt needs to be backed up by proof... sadly, there is none. Not a finger-printable surface to be had, no cameras, and I wouldn't guarantee a solid ID from the same people who's intelligence I was questioning. Tampering with safety equipment, perhaps, vandalizing means damage--I nary damaged a thing--neener. Still, sorry old lady, but I'm pretty sure you're hoarding cats, were a brainwashed Nazi youth and poisoned school children. Everyone wins again! :D

8)
And she's probably the one who furnishes the topping those folks over in the Lakeland area use on their 'bac :p If she's gone, no more topping :p

monbla256":yw9loxmz said:
Kyle Weiss":yw9loxmz said:

8)
And she's probably the one who furnishes the topping those folks over in the Lakeland area use on their 'bac :p If she's gone, no more topping :p
Doh! :affraid: :affraid: