Are Pokers Unpopular?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UniversalCode

Reaction score
I've been smoking a pipe for a few months now, and I'd like to start adding to my stable. Problem is that I really like pokers, but there doesn't seem to be that many offered from the big online retailers. Can anyone suggest a place to find a nice selection of pokers?

Iwan Reis has to have some pokers. Or Cup o' Joes. But they don't seem to be popular at the moment. 'Course that doesn't matter if you like them. And a good sitter can be handy.

pokers unpopular?

SHUTCHOMOUTH!!!!!!!!

:afro:

i'm a total sucker for sitters. in fact, i may stop buying any pipe that doesn't sit. maybe i'm just get curmudgeonly in my old age, but it's just too damn annoying to deal with putting a pipe that doesn't sit down when i need both my hands for something.

i have a sav oscar 310 and it's one of my fave pipes. i didn't get it at SPC, but it's identical to this pipe.

be careful with meer pokers: the stem material can sometimes be heavier than the meerschaum block causing them not to sit properly - they can be "stem-heavy".

i'm contemplating my first commission, and it'll almost certainly be a poker or cherrywood shape.

POKER-FANS UNITE!!!!

doody.
:cheers:

I hope pokers are unpopular, because I like them so much, and I want them to stay cheap & readily available. :cheers:

8)

They are really popular. I don't make 'em too often but when I do they sell immediately.

Sasquatch":f3ixp2yk said:
They are really popular. I don't make 'em too often but when I do they sell immediately.
That answers an important question: who makes a good one? Looks like I know who to approach for a top-notch poker.

8)

I've been eyeing Joe Case. He makes a lot of cool pokers and I've heard good things. He sells his pipes on Etsy for what seems to be very reasonable prices.

Pokers are awesome but I like the looks of a cherrywood even better.

Out of curiosity, I went onto Iwan Reis and counted four pokers/cherrywoods just under their new pipe additions section. There were two other cool looking sitters, too.

Maybe they're so hard to find because they ARE so popular and keep selling before you see 'em. :p

Do what I did in the event that couldn't find one I liked, commission a Brother, possibly Growley, he made mine and I'm damn proud of it.

Excuse me for taking this thread as another opportunity to show off my pipes... :oops:

Mr. Doody":73tjvlg0 said:
here's a savinelli sistina rustica 310 being sold via amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Savinelli-Sistina-Rustic-Bordeaux-Tobacco/dp/B009Q6ELAE/

it's like the ONLY 310 i can find for sale - and purportedly available - on the intertubez.

it has a filter though, which is a show-stopper for me - thought maybe you dig that.

doody.
So? I have several Sav's that use the balsa filter and I don't use 'em and the pipe's smoke just fine ! If that's your reason for not buying some Sav's your missing out on a LOT of nice pipes :p

So? I have several Sav's that use the balsa filter and I don't use 'em and the pipe's smoke just fine ! If that's your reason for not buying some Sav's your missing out on a LOT of nice pipes :p
you're a BIG help, dude! i have to have SOME vaguely justifiable reasons not to buy every frickin' pipe i come across! :) . Sav makes the 310 in a few filterless models (like the above oscar lucite). happy to be patient and pick up exactly what i want - and still have money left over to buy groceries in between ;-) .

doody!

smokingpipes always seems to have a decent variety of pokers in stock.

Some of my favorite pipes are pokers/cherrywoods. Really like the style and am always on the lookout for another.

One of my go-to's is an estate I got from BH - a Tobacconist Inc smallish bowl that seems to smoke anything fine. Just used it today with some 4 Nog Prairie Wind aamof. A winning combination!

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Mr. Doody":7bfy97ds said:
here's a savinelli sistina rustica 310 being sold via amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Savinelli-Sistina-Rustic-Bordeaux-Tobacco/dp/B009Q6ELAE/

it's like the ONLY 310 i can find for sale - and purportedly available - on the intertubez.

it has a filter though, which is a show-stopper for me - thought maybe you dig that.

doody.
Sav 310's are really hard to find. I have seen this one but the price is just too much for me. I can't aford to go over about $75/ $80.
:cry: :cry: